ADVERTISEMENT

Gonna be a lot of Fossil watches on EBay

LOL

• VRBO Citrus Bowl (Jan. 1, 1 p.m.) Kentucky vs. Penn State ¦ $400 Best Buy gift card; Fossil watch; Ogio backpack with luggage tag

well, it would be bad taste to give them this one
es4391_2.jpg

Not like the Fiesta bowl - they don't get luggage tags with their backpacks. Cheap bastards!

According to Sports Business Journal, players from PSU and UK will get:
  • A $400 Best Buy gift card
  • A Fossil watch
  • An Ogio backpack with luggage tag
The NCAA allows the committees to provide each bowl participant with gifts totaling a combined maximum value of $550, and it looks like the top bowls max that out.... But if the backpack and watch are the other $150, it's hard to beat a $400 gift card to BB which allows each player to go and get what he wants........

According to Sports Business Journal, players from PSU and UK will get:
  • A $400 Best Buy gift card
  • A Fossil watch
  • An Ogio backpack with luggage tag
The NCAA allows the committees to provide each bowl participant with gifts totaling a combined maximum value of $550, and it looks like the top bowls max that out.... But if the backpack and watch are the other $150, it's hard to beat a $400 gift card to BB which allows each player to go and get what he wants........

Usually the objective is to minimize the nominal value of the mandatory (watch and garbage provided by a sponsor) swag in order to give the players the highest value of something useful like a gift card. I've seen bowls get away with attaching $25 to the watch. Let's double it, which means that the it's either a very nice backpack or the Citrus Bowl is just fvcking cheap.

What happened to the days when players used to get PS4's, cool headphones, speakers and stuff. Seems like a huge downgrade from past years. I get the $400 Best buy gift card can cover this, but it seemed like more in the past from my recollection.

Reactions: BBrown
What happened to the days when players used to get PS4's, cool headphones, speakers and stuff. Seems like a huge downgrade from past years. I get the $400 Best buy gift card can cover this, but it seemed like more in the past from my recollection.

That's the kind of stuff that'd be available in the "gift suite" that some bowls have.

1. Most kids already have that stuff. Therefore giving them the gift card allows them to buy something else.
2. I wonder if it became a problem flying back to their schools....

Nope, not more. NCAA has always imposed a dollar limit on what the players can receive from the bowl sponsors. Can't say for certain, but believe it has increased somewhat in recent years.

That's the kind of stuff that'd be available in the "gift suite" that some bowls have.

Yes. In some cases they'd take the kids to a place like Best Buy after hours and let them pick out what they wanted.

1. Most kids already have that stuff. Therefore giving them the gift card allows them to buy something else.
2. I wonder if it became a problem flying back to their schools....

Not only that, but there are stories of kids using the cards to buy Christmas presents for their family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT