ADVERTISEMENT

Golfers

BuckeyeNut69

Jan 15, 2012
Watching Arnie and Me on the golf channel. Interested to hear if any of you have met or had the opportunity to play with him. Golf wouldn't be where its at today without Arnie.

Saw some of that. Such a gracious and humble person. I have never met him but would love to. Hope to see him on the telecast this weekend.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Have Talked To Him At His Restaurant In LaQuinta, CA!

A very very humble, gracious personable gentleman.....made us feel like family friends.

Used to see him every year for awhile...

...he was pretty much perfect in every way w/ regards to how he treated our staff.

One year Gary Player won the tournament (PGA Seniors) and gave the guys in the locker room $40 for the week. Arnold found out about it and the next week they got an apology letter from Player w/ a $500 check and a bunch of crappy Black Knight shirts.

I used to drive him around in a cart quite a bit. Fun times.

This post was edited on 3/17 10:42 PM by MtNittany

Love the FL swing ... A chance to see the greats Jack and Arnie stop by sometime during the telecast.

Love the FL swing ... A chance to see the greats Jack and Arnie stop by sometime during the telecast.

I was told that Arnie watched me play the 9th hole at the Latrobe CC in the 1972 WPIAL finals. That's the closest I came to "meeting him." Sadly, I don't remember the score but I do remember that it was one of the worst holes I played that day.

Many years later, I was simply a part of the gallery at the Kingwood CC in Houston when he played the senior tour. I do remember walking up to the 3rd hole tee there and being in awe. He hit is drive to the right, and asked the caddie if it was "alright."

If you really want to meet Arnold just book a room at the Bay Hill Lodge in Orlando. Staying in the Lodge gives you member's privledges to play the golf course and spend time in the locker room/men's grill. From mid October until April you will find Arnold in the Bay Hill men's grill about 5 PM. When you meet him you will not be disappointed. There is not a more genuine or gratious public figure in this country, in my opinion.

I haven't, but my wife met him at her club when she was about 7 or 8. He sat and ate milk and cookies with the kids that attended the summer golf camp.

I never have but Nathan Smith from Brookville played with Arnold at his last Masters when Nathan was still an amateur. Nathan went into #18 1 shot above the cut but when they got to the tee box it took the crowd 10 minutes to quiet down. Nathan then pulled his tee shot and again had to wait 10-15 minutes to hit his next shot because of crowd noise. Well he hit it short into the front bunker and proceeded to two put and missed the cut by one stroke. Almost an hour to play 18! He said Arnold was very gracious and Nathan would never say this but it probably cost him his chance to play Augusta over the weekend.

My buddies have met him a few times at his FL course, BayHill, and also a couple have met him at Laurel Valley. Always and upbeat and nice guy.

I went to a Phila SR tour event years ago (80's). The course seemed empty re spectators when I arrived. Then I happened to see one hole was lined 5 deep from tea to green. Arnie. Pretty amazing.

I wouldn't say this was 'meeting him' per se but it was really funny nonetheless.....I had a chance to go to the Masters back in 2000, when Arnie was still playing. Thursday round, I was camped up right on the tree line ropes on 13, where the guys who take the cautious route go out to the right with their drives. Arnie duck-hooks his tee shot left into the trees, but somehow finds it and takes an iron out of them. Ball lands about 10 yards short of me and rolls up right below where I was standing. Marshals nudge people back but I'm still right there. The King comes up, hitches the pants, looks at us and says, "well, it makes sense that I'm standing here with you guys, because I'm playing like all of you guys today..."

Everyone just starts cracking up, then gets quiet as he proceeds to take a 3 wood and laces a low bullet to just over the green next to one of the bunkers, chips to like 8 feet and hits the put for par. Needless to say the crowd went nuts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT