ADVERTISEMENT

Golf courses you have played that no longer exist?

Woody's Golf Center on Germantown Pike in East Norriton, PA. - It was only a Par3 with a mini golf course and driving range but it was one of the premiere summer hang outs for many generations.
Center Valley GC-Lower Saucon Twp. Site of Nike Tour event in mid-90's. Very nice design.
Very depressing to drive by.

Reactions: kevin310 and eilion
I picked up the sticks for the first time in four years last week (it's the sport for old guys right?) and I couldn't help but think about the golf courses I played when I was young that no longer exist.

Oakmont East, Oakmont
Rose Ridge, Allison Park
Woodlawn, Tarentum
Sheraton Greensburg, Greensburg

There used to be a golf course I passed on Rt. 22 to State College around Ebensburg that no longer is there. I finally did stop once and play it.

Is that the same for you? Golf courses that you used to play that.no longer exist?

There was a 6 hole course at PSU at one time that is now apartments.

It was the back part of the original white course I believe.

Courses like that are how people get started in the game.

LdN

Reactions: john4psu
Sadly, two in Danville.
Cherokee Golf Course and
Liberty Valley

Our country club is no longer private. Doubt it’s around 10 years from now. Housing market is crazy because of proximity to Geisinger.

Reactions: NittanyPirate
I've played a few in Myrtle Beach but nothing too special about them from what I recall. The two that really hit home to me are:
  • Vestal Hills Country Club in Binghamton, NY - I didn't play it a ton growing up, but played one of my best rounds there winning a junior tournament as a kid. Also played in some scrambles there with my dad, and a few other times once they went public. It was a great course that was always in really nice shape, but the recession (and the declining population in Binghamton) caught up with it. The pro there when I was growing up was Ron Dunham, whose son Mike went on to become an NHL goalie.
  • Freeway Golf Course in Sicklerville, NJ - The closest course to my house, and one that I'd often sneak off to on a weekday afternoon if I had the time. Closed about 4 years ago. Not in great shape and not the most interesting layout, but they were always pretty empty (probably a big part of why it closed down), it was cheap, and the people there were incredibly friendly. It was the oldest African-American owned golf course in the US, and I'm still shocked that no one came in to save it...instead, they're going to build houses over top of it. The first time I played it was the morning of the Chafie Fields game in Miami in 99, so always brought back great memories.

I've played a few in Myrtle Beach but nothing too special about them from what I recall. The two that really hit home to me are:
  • Vestal Hills Country Club in Binghamton, NY - I didn't play it a ton growing up, but played one of my best rounds there winning a junior tournament as a kid. Also played in some scrambles there with my dad, and a few other times once they went public. It was a great course that was always in really nice shape, but the recession (and the declining population in Binghamton) caught up with it. The pro there when I was growing up was Ron Dunham, whose son Mike went on to become an NHL goalie.
I most recently played Vestal Hills at a high school reunion, maybe 15+ years ago now. It was a shame how the upkeep of the course had deteriorated--it was more like a cow pasture than a golf course by that time. Another one in the area that is no longer a golf course is the old IBM Homestead course. That was a good place to learn how to golf.

It's too bad that the economy of the area is what it is. It was a great place to grow up in the 70's and 80's.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
  • Freeway Golf Course in Sicklerville, NJ - The closest course to my house, and one that I'd often sneak off to on a weekday afternoon if I had the time. Closed about 4 years ago. Not in great shape and not the most interesting layout, but they were always pretty empty (probably a big part of why it closed down), it was cheap, and the people there were incredibly friendly. It was the oldest African-American owned golf course in the US, and I'm still shocked that no one came in to save it...instead, they're going to build houses over top of it. The first time I played it was the morning of the Chafie Fields game in Miami in 99, so always brought back great memories.

Also near North Myrtle Beach - Marsh Harbor.
Excellent course - I was told the landowner refused a lease extension

Reactions: FightOnState
Blackmoor in Richmond, OH. I used to play there a couple times a year, as it was easy to get to (not far off Rt. 22 outside of Steubenville) from Pittsburgh, not too crowded generally, and pretty reasonably priced. Use to take my two boys there when they were in H.S. and college. I believe they closed down a couple years ago, and did so to drill for NG.

The last time I went by Ebensburg, and I go by there every couple months, it was hard to believe how bad that former course looked. So overgrown with weeds, briars, and about every thing else.... :confused:
Greg, I really enjoyed Blackmoor, it closed down 2 years ago. In-laws are in Steubenville so I played there frequently. Owner purchased a course down in the villages in FL and moved down there - my understanding is that he still owns the mineral rights and that houses were planned for the property but I'm not sure if that ever came to fruition.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Wow, Silver Springs, didn't realize it closed, played it in college...
Stevenson Ranch (Ca), one of the best courses built in the 90s, fantastic. Unfortunately it was built a bit too far from the urban population, so it was too big of a pain in the ass to get to. If it would have been built about 20 minutes closer, I think it would still be thriving.
Diablo Grande (Ca), two courses, one being a Nicklaus Signature course, both fantastic. The original plan was to build 3 or 4 more to make a great destination. Once again, a bit too far to go for a daily fee experience, the 2007 real estate bust happened, water rationing and ultimately closure of both although one may reopen.

I actually learned something about the way the Nicklaus architecture firm works from this last course. They closed that course first even though it was better for financial reasons. Not only do you pay Nicklaus a boatload of money to design, but you also have to pay yearly fees when the course is in operation. Even if they were to stop promoting it as a Nicklaus course, they would still have to pay. Once they closed it, even if they opened it, they would have to get his permission to open it.

Center Valley GC-Lower Saucon Twp. Site of Nike Tour event in mid-90's. Very nice design.
Very depressing to drive by.
I always liked the layout, but condition not the greatest. Upper Perk in East Greenville was a well kept gem to play that fell to housing development even though it was profitable

Reactions: LIONJELLO
Goose Creek in Leesburg, VA. Ben Hogan shot the course record 59 way back in the day.

Silver springs in Mechanicsburg. My brother was club pro for a few years and i worked as cart boy and also at the driving range when I was 12.

Blue ridge and Blue Mountain/Felicita in Harrisburg.
Hershey Parkview was nice. Wren Dale. In the later years we always said Felicita meant land of dandelions

Greg, I really enjoyed Blackmoor, it closed down 2 years ago. In-laws are in Steubenville so I played there frequently. Owner purchased a course down in the villages in FL and moved down there - my understanding is that he still owns the mineral rights and that houses were planned for the property but I'm not sure if that ever came to fruition.
I also enjoyed it. Hilly, but mostly up and down. Not much side to side.

lots of open country all around the course, so I wonder why build houses there versus any where around it.

Loved Parkview. Saw craziest shot ever there. On the hole along the road by where Giant center is my buddy hooked his shot. It was heading OOB across the road. It hit the power line and followed it. The line swung out and then flung his ball all the way back to the fairway. Not a ricochet. It ran along the line and was flung back.

Never played Wren Dale, but did after Hershey bought it. It was very nice, but I still liked West, East and Parkview better.

Reactions: PSUeng
Silver springs in Mechanicsburg. My brother was club pro for a few years and i worked as cart boy and also at the driving range when I was 12.

one of my go to boyhood courses. i think the first time i was on a course actually, riding along with my dad and his golfing buddies. loved the par 3 #2 down the hill.

I most recently played Vestal Hills at a high school reunion, maybe 15+ years ago now. It was a shame how the upkeep of the course had deteriorated--it was more like a cow pasture than a golf course by that time. Another one in the area that is no longer a golf course is the old IBM Homestead course. That was a good place to learn how to golf.
I forgot about the Homestead. I didn't play it much, but it was Johnson City's home course in high school, so I played it a few time in matches and practice round before them. Number 9 (the "Crow's Nest") was quite the unusual par 3. I also remember the longer hole around the road (think it would have been #7) where I once hit a 5 wood in a high school match, thought I topped it as I saw something bouncing away, then realized that I was just holding the shaft in my hand and it was the persimmon head that was bouncing away as the ball went about 150 yards.

My uncle was an IBMer and he tells the story that when he played the full course right after he was hired, fresh out of college, he was checking out some clubs in the pro shop and the pro told him that he could buy a set and have the cost directly deducted from his pay check over the next couple of years...so, he bought new clubs right on the spot.

Loved Parkview. Saw craziest shot ever there. On the hole along the road by where Giant center is my buddy hooked his shot. It was heading OOB across the road. It hit the power line and followed it. The line swung out and then flung his ball all the way back to the fairway. Not a ricochet. It ran along the line and was flung back.

Never played Wren Dale, but did after Hershey bought it. It was very nice, but I still liked West, East and Parkview better.
Parkview was indeed a wonderful course -- honestly have a hard time thinking of another course with its incredible variety of holes. You could expect every possible lie, and to hit every club in your bag. In the really old days, the first hole was the par four across the creek valley and straight up the hill. At league championships, you'd have 50 guys milling around the tee hoping they didn't screw up their first tee shot in front of everyone. The home stretch, beginning with the risk reward of the short 13th with the creek running through the fairway, the near vertical blind par 3 14th, the narrow 17th with road on left and woods/embankment on right, and the blind 18th tee shot down the hill with creek meandering really made for some unpredictable finishes to the day.

Goose Creek in Leesburg, VA. Ben Hogan shot the course record 59 way back in the day.

I basically lived within a mile of that place. I've played it but wasn't fond of it. Holes ran parallel to each other and produced a shooting gallery for hacks. I felt like I needed a helmet for safety there.

However, saddens me that is gone. I was prettier than the home development there now.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Virginia National in Bluemont, VA was beautiful as it ran along the Shenandoah river. Was one of my faves, Back 9 was built on the side of a mountain. Fun course with incredible views.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
I picked up the sticks for the first time in four years last week (it's the sport for old guys right?) and I couldn't help but think about the golf courses I played when I was young that no longer exist.

Oakmont East, Oakmont
Rose Ridge, Allison Park
Woodlawn, Tarentum

There used to be a golf course I passed on Rt. 22 to State College around Ebensburg that no longer is there. I finally did stop once and play it.

Is that the same for you? Golf courses that you used to play that.no longer exist?
one of my Favs. Made this course into a walking park. Had some great views from 5,6 and 7. What a loss. played it one morning and was at the top of the course as the sun came up. Fantastic.

I basically lived within a mile of that place. I've played it but wasn't fond of it. Holes ran parallel to each other and produced a shooting gallery for hacks. I felt like I needed a helmet for safety there.

However, saddens me that is gone. I was prettier than the home development there now.
More recently in that general neighborhood, Virginia Oaks near Lake Manassas was a really nice Pete Dye track that went belly up quickly as a victim of overbuilding golf courses. Some really beautiful holes.

Blue Heron Pines near Atlantic City. Used to be 2 courses there. I believe there still is one, but they closed the wrong one.

Reactions: kevin310
Montgomery Village, Gaitherburg MD
Virginia Oaks, Manassas VA - mentioned earlier
Red Gate, Rockville MD - awful course glad it's no longer there
White Oak Golf course - Silver spring MD
Indian Country club - Silver spring MD
But the very best was Beechtree in Aberdeen MD. Tom Doak deisgn.

Oakmont East, Oakmont
Rose Ridge, Allison Park
Woodlawn, Tarentum

Valley Heights, across the road from Oakmont East.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Tom doak is currently on my shit list for failing to fix the one hole he was supposed to fix at my club

A whole bunch of closures in MD. Adding to your list ...

Germantown CC, Germantown, MD
Frederick GC, Frederick, MD
Hope Valley GC, Frederick ,MD
West Winds GC, Mt. Airy, MD
Glenn Dale GC, Glenn Dale, MD
Cross Creek GC, Beltsville, MD,
Lake Arbor GC, Largo, MD
Patuxent Greens, Laurel, MD
Greencastle CC, Silver SPring, MD
Brooke Manor CC, Olney, MD,
Trotters Glen, Olney, MD
2 18 hole courses at FOrt Meade
Naval Hospital, Bethesda, MD
Marlboro CC, Upper Marlboro, MD
Washingtonian CC (two 18 hole courses), Gaithersburg, MD
Wakefield Valley (27 holes), Westminister, MD

I'm sure there are others.

A whole bunch of closures in MD. Adding to your list ...

Germantown CC, Germantown, MD
Frederick GC, Frederick, MD
Hope Valley GC, Frederick ,MD
West Winds GC, Mt. Airy, MD
Glenn Dale GC, Glenn Dale, MD
Cross Creek GC, Beltsville, MD,
Lake Arbor GC, Largo, MD
Patuxent Greens, Laurel, MD
Greencastle CC, Silver SPring, MD
Brooke Manor CC, Olney, MD,
Trotters Glen, Olney, MD
2 18 hole courses at FOrt Meade
Naval Hospital, Bethesda, MD
Marlboro CC, Upper Marlboro, MD
Washingtonian CC (two 18 hole courses), Gaithersburg, MD
Wakefield Valley (27 holes), Westminister, MD

I'm sure there are others.
Wow - what’s going on in Maryland to affect the game as such?

Hershey Parkview was nice. Wren Dale. In the later years we always said Felicita meant land of dandelions
Wren Dale, later the Links of Hershey, was a treat. Also gone is Blue Ridge CC in Harrisburg. The Milton Hershey School built student housing on the Links; massive housing and commercial plan being built on Blue Ridge.

Wow - what’s going on in Maryland to affect the game as such?

No idea. But a lot of the courses, I can count 6, were built as part of a housing development. I often wonder if they were built as a carrot, to get people to buy houses there. Then once all the houses had been sold, they stopped caring for the course and eventually closed down. Seemed like a waste. Some of them were good solid courses.

Reactions: thewholebit

Wren Dale was actually a private course built unfortunately at the wrong time. I played it several times on my stays in the Hershey area. The design (Hurdzen-Fry) is very similar and reminded me of my home club in Bucks County. Loved the back 9 and they actually finished the club house which was puzzling to me.

Tom doak is currently on my shit list for failing to fix the one hole he was supposed to fix at my club
Doak and Rennasiance can be a handful to deal with. Didn't his course near Bulle Rock get plowed under? I might be thinking if Fazio not sure.

Parkview was indeed a wonderful course -- honestly have a hard time thinking of another course with its incredible variety of holes. You could expect every possible lie, and to hit every club in your bag. In the really old days, the first hole was the par four across the creek valley and straight up the hill. At league championships, you'd have 50 guys milling around the tee hoping they didn't screw up their first tee shot in front of everyone. The home stretch, beginning with the risk reward of the short 13th with the creek running through the fairway, the near vertical blind par 3 14th, the narrow 17th with road on left and woods/embankment on right, and the blind 18th tee shot down the hill with creek meandering really made for some unpredictable finishes to the day.
Parkview's hole 1 was also sloped back to front with a very steep three tiered green. If you were on the upper tier you could not stop it from going to the lower tier or off the green. Toughest starting hole I ever played. #2 was a par three that sloped hard from front to back. If you did not play the course before you most likely started a few shots over par

Reactions: Aardvark86

Two great tracks

ADVERTISEMENT