ADVERTISEMENT

###Gold Cup Thread###

McCloudersportLion

Sep 5, 2019
I don't gramble on a Sundee after the ides of Aramastan but for the match today it is US win in regulation -143 tie 215 Canaducks +400

Do any of you honky tonk community league soccer tube sock wearers know who is suiting up today?

Should put out pretty much our strongest possible lineup that we have available on this squad...Arriola probably not ready and possibly sitting Zardes and Acosta since they are on yellows, but I’d personally rather some other options than those 3.

I love soccer but if I were an announcer I would have a hard time not making snarky comments about these guys being near death one minute and trotting around fine the next

Oh look! He's ok! Whew

Reactions: psu00
I love soccer but if I were an announcer I would have a hard time not making snarky comments about these guys being near death one minute and trotting around fine the next

Oh look! He's ok! Whew

There arent as many yankee blue cap wearing Tri-state fat-bodies in futbol as beisbol tho - these boys are out here gettin steps in

I think I need an interpreter but I am oddly intrigued by his posts. Carry on and I will try to catch up.

Solid performance against an underrated Qatar squad...game really turned when we went to our bench...though this is clearly not our strongest side, there are guys in this group that will make an impact not just down the road, but in World Cup qualifying this cycle.

Wish soccer would get the faking injuries under control. Not sure what the answer is. But players fall to the ground and pretend to be injured way too often. It breaks the flow of the game and just looks silly.

US Men’s soccer wins Gold Cup…Beats Mexico 1-0 in the 117th minute. 2-0 this summer in finals vs Mexico. This was huge as the best US players were in Europe. Great tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun game to watch. Definitely not the best 11 the US can put together. But the team played well. Good showing bodes well for the team!

Reactions: LaJollaLion
Fun game to watch. Definitely not the best 11 the US can put together. But the team played well. Good showing bodes well for the team!
Yep, a ton of young kids out there. Vines, Acosta, Turner, Hope, and Robinson had a great tournament. All may see some time in qualifying.

Fun game to watch. I love that our B team beat Mexico’s A team.
Some had the opinion going into the tournament that this was our C team. They played well and some of them certainly made a case for sticking around for the WC qualifiers.

Some had the opinion going into the tournament that this was our C team. They played well and some of them certainly made a case for sticking around for the WC qualifiers.
No doubt and even more so with the compressed schedule for qualifying. Berhalter who many "fans" tossed under the bus when he was hired instead of giving him any chance now has 2 finals victories over Mexico in 2 months. He also has a qualifying roster with depth and proven depth now. The Gold Cup was way more impressive with that roster and actually having to get out of a group stage and then move on. Kudos to that squad and Berhalter....really well done.

I watched a lot of the tournament but know little about soccer. it was a very enjoyable torney to each. Due to some awful Olympics on last night, I switched between CONCACAF and "We Are the Millers" until 11ish and went to bed after regulation time. I was shocked to see the US pull it off.

Mexico had far greater skills and used a really aggressive attacking defense and ball control offense. But this left them vulnerable if you could break through the front line of defense. The US missed a point-blank scoring chance (Arriola) and I went to be thinking we missed our chance. I watched the conclusion this morning knowing the outcome.

The USA was relentless and mentally tough throughout. They just never gave up after constant pressure from the Mexican in a stadium that was clearly pro Mexico (Vegas). Hats off to them and their rope-a-dope strategy. A big boost to USA soccer.

I watched a lot of the tournament but know little about soccer. it was a very enjoyable torney to each. Due to some awful Olympics on last night, I switched between CONCACAF and "We Are the Millers" until 11ish and went to bed after regulation time. I was shocked to see the US pull it off.

Mexico had far greater skills and used a really aggressive attacking defense and ball control offense. But this left them vulnerable if you could break through the front line of defense. The US missed a point-blank scoring chance (Arriola) and I went to be thinking we missed our chance. I watched the conclusion this morning knowing the outcome.

The USA was relentless and mentally tough throughout. They just never gave up after constant pressure from the Mexican in a stadium that was clearly pro Mexico (Vegas). Hats off to them and their rope-a-dope strategy. A big boost to USA soccer.

I think the fact that the Mexicans were willing to attack so hard and leave themselves so open to counterattack really goes to show how little they regarded this US team. The fact that this B team beat the Mexico A team is certainly not lost on the Mexicans. I read El Universal today to see what the Mexican reaction is. (google translate is a bit wonky)

"The pride of Mexican soccer has been more than stained, it has been injured, any other coach, these results would have cost him his head , without more or more.

There are no excuses, there are no justifications , the Mexican National Team must always win these tournaments, it must always beat the United States , and it did not, the "Tata" is on the table.

A thousand excuses can be said, that the Tricolor dominated in most of the game , that the United States goalkeeper had a dream night, but in the end there is the coldness of the scoreboard, defeat, humiliation, and there is nowhere to look or go .

It was the seventh time the United States and Mexico have met in a Gold Cup final, and it was the second that the Stars and Stripes draw came out with their hands up."

I think the fact that the Mexicans were willing to attack so hard and leave themselves so open to counterattack really goes to show how little they regarded this US team. The fact that this B team beat the Mexico A team is certainly not lost on the Mexicans. I read El Universal today to see what the Mexican reaction is. (google translate is a bit wonky)

"The pride of Mexican soccer has been more than stained, it has been injured, any other coach, these results would have cost him his head , without more or more.

There are no excuses, there are no justifications , the Mexican National Team must always win these tournaments, it must always beat the United States , and it did not, the "Tata" is on the table.

A thousand excuses can be said, that the Tricolor dominated in most of the game , that the United States goalkeeper had a dream night, but in the end there is the coldness of the scoreboard, defeat, humiliation, and there is nowhere to look or go .

It was the seventh time the United States and Mexico have met in a Gold Cup final, and it was the second that the Stars and Stripes draw came out with their hands up."
What are your thoughts, @GreggK ? I almost didn't watch the second half because I thought the Mexican team was simply far more talented and we missed what was going to be the only golden opportunity of the night. Mexico really dominated, to the untrained eye. My guess is, if they play a best of seven, would win 4-1 or 4-2.

Many years ago, as a kid, I stayed in Portugal with a friend for two weeks. At a club, he introduced me to some of his friends. One kid approached me and, through an interpreter, goaded me about Portugal's soccer compared to the USA. I knew zero about that game at the time. He, at one point, said that they are "fine tacticians of the game and asked me my thoughts." I told him that USA were "brutes, and we just run people over". The interpreter asked me to reconsider my message, not that it was offensive, but that this was not the way Euros played soccer. I told him to say it. He did and the Portuguese kid looked at me with shock and horror. I laughed but it is the way the USA wins and did last night. Just relentless, never-give-up, attitudes. (they also called A LOT of fouls on the USA). Not sure why that came to mind last night but I chuckled.

Last edited:

Exactly, the US created quite a few decent scoring opportunities. Had they been a bit more technical up front they may have easily put 2-3 in on Mexico. This wasn't the overall dominant Mexican match that we had seen in the past and their back line looked very suspect. Arriola had 2 pretty much gimmes. Hoppe and Zardes had really good chances and Zardes was in fact onsides had he put that in. If the A teams play straight up currently, it's a coin toss as to who would win....as our B team went toe to toe with them and got the result last night. Mexico came in with the squad to win this tournament and lost.....it wasn't some fluke either.

Reactions: Little J
What are your thoughts, @GreggK ? I almost didn't watch the second half because I thought the Mexican team was simply far more talented and we missed what was going to be the only golden opportunity of the night. Mexico really dominated, to the untrained eye. My guess is, if they play a best of seven, would win 4-1 or 4-2.

This is the full strength Mexican team sans Chicharito, who I happen to think is way past his prime anyway. This was a younger USA team that was a mix of young guys who haven't had a shot yet, or older guys getting a second chance.

The most important games for the USA, the World Cup Qualifiers, are still to come this fall, so Berhalter decided he wanted to see what sort of players he might have on the bench for those games. There might have been one, maybe two players on this USA team that make the bench for the qualifiers. Thats how much of a B team this is. After this tournament maybe more like 4 or 5 for the qualifiers. I like the confidence shown by Berhalter, who I haven't been a big fan of thus far, to really focus on the qualifiers and use all games before that to prepare for it.

It is still early, but this really could be the beginning of USA complete dominance in CONCACAF. It can't be stated strongly enough, how humiliating this loss is for Mexico. They absolutely hate losing to us already, but for our B team to beat them, it really shows how far along we are coming. This has been coming, but we may have finally arrived. 20 years ago,

I think it is also worth noting, our A team is younger. Our best players on the A team are mostly all below 23.

Finally, I really wish the American public would get behind this team. I am tired of seeing american stadiums filled with Mexican fans for games. Yes, there are a lot of Mexican fans here and that is part of it and a conversation for another day, however, the demand is low from Americans. There is still this "soccer is wussy" from a segment of Americans, although less now than before. I played college football and have nothing but respect for the game.

In conclusion, I assumed we would lose last night.
This team proved me wrong with heart and determination.

This is the full strength Mexican team sans Chicharito, who I happen to think is way past his prime anyway. This was a younger USA team that was a mix of young guys who haven't had a shot yet, or older guys getting a second chance.

The most important games for the USA, the World Cup Qualifiers, are still to come this fall, so Berhalter decided he wanted to see what sort of players he might have on the bench for those games. There might have been one, maybe two players on this USA team that make the bench for the qualifiers. Thats how much of a B team this is. After this tournament maybe more like 4 or 5 for the qualifiers. I like the confidence shown by Berhalter, who I haven't been a big fan of thus far, to really focus on the qualifiers and use all games before that to prepare for it.

It is still early, but this really could be the beginning of USA complete dominance in CONCACAF. It can't be stated strongly enough, how humiliating this loss is for Mexico. They absolutely hate losing to us already, but for our B team to beat them, it really shows how far along we are coming. This has been coming, but we may have finally arrived. 20 years ago,

I think it is also worth noting, our A team is younger. Our best players on the A team are mostly all below 23.

Finally, I really wish the American public would get behind this team. I am tired of seeing american stadiums filled with Mexican fans for games. Yes, there are a lot of Mexican fans here and that is part of it and a conversation for another day, however, the demand is low from Americans. There is still this "soccer is wussy" from a segment of Americans, although less now than before. I played college football and have nothing but respect for the game.

In conclusion, I assumed we would lose last night.
This team proved me wrong with heart and determination.
well, one of our best players is Pulisic. I wonder if he, McKinnie and Reyna regret not participating.

well, one of our best players is Pulisic. I wonder if he, McKinnie and Reyna regret not participating.

Nah, I don't think they are. I don't think they chose not to participate, Berhalter just didn't see the point of having them in this with the Qualifiers coming up.

But it isn't just Pulisic, McKinnie and Reyna, its also Brooks, Dest, Adams, Musah, Weah etc who didn't participate. I think one of the striking things is the difference between our A team and the Mexico A team. Literally every one of our starters plays in a top European League. Mexico only has a few. Our B team was much more similar to the USA teams of the past and the Mexico team of the present. The current USA A team is a new thing that hasn't existed in CONCACAF before.

Reactions: Obliviax
Nah, I don't think they are. I don't think they chose not to participate, Berhalter just didn't see the point of having them in this with the Qualifiers coming up.

But it isn't just Pulisic, McKinnie and Reyna, its also Brooks, Dest, Adams, Musah, Weah etc who didn't participate. I think one of the striking things is the difference between our A team and the Mexico A team. Literally every one of our starters plays in a top European League. Mexico only has a few. Our B team was much more similar to the USA teams of the past and the Mexico team of the present. The current USA A team is a new thing that hasn't existed in CONCACAF before.
I got a kick out of the announcers stating that one of the top Mexican players recently got his US citizenship. In a previous game, there was talk that many US players were playing for other teams and this spoke well of our depth (couldn't make this team). Maybe we are finally poised to get back on the international stage. Mexico isn't the world's best but are pretty darn good.

ADVERTISEMENT