ADVERTISEMENT

Going to need another LB recruit ??

Tarburton's high school coach said he thinks Nick will be 6'7". 288lbs by his JR year at PSU. I guess time will tell.

Doubtful. He projected 6'7 last year and it does not look like his height has changed since then. In the pic with other recruits he does not even look 6'3.

Carries his weight well.

26_5117535.jpg

I hope not, or at least not as a result of this issue. We need linebackers, not safeties that we hope to convert to LB

agree we need some guys who can come on the field and hold their own physically as FR due to our quality depth at this position. Cabinda, Bowen and Farmer are seniors - i think Farmer may have another year available. Brown is still developing. Not much else on the team. last couple years we missed on this position and large sized DTs. in BIG we need to stop these grinding teams. even sPitt moved the chains way too much on our DEF by just running.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
agree we need some guys who can come on the field and hold their own physically as FR due to our quality depth at this position. Cabinda, Bowen and Farmer are seniors - i think Farmer may have another year available. Brown is still developing. Not much else on the team. last couple years we missed on this position and large sized DTs. in BIG we need to stop these grinding teams. even sPitt moved the chains way too much on our DEF by just running.

Clueless.

Like Sean Lee?
We had more LB depth when we recruited Lee... im not saying we can’t have any safety conversions, and I’ve said that Katshir is the same kind of player (not predicting as good as) that Sean Lee was, but we need guys who can play LB right away.

I'm surprised that no one commented yet on CJF's discussion within his MD press conference about the LB depth. A couple of interesting points regarding LB depth that reflect on some questions within the past LB threads. CJF's comments:

1. CJF purposely mentions Cam Brown first, as having a very very bright future, strong, athletic, long. Lots of room for growth and development, but CJF is excited
  2. CJF mentions Jake Cooper, as having been waiting his turn with coaches waiting for that ah-ha moment, needing to stay healthy. will have a chance to contribute going forward, and the team needs Cooper to contribute. This seems to imply that Cooper will be back for he Senior season.
  3. Excited about Jan Johnson, as the opportunities that he has had, he has played pretty well.
  4. Farmer has done a nice job, as a first year starter at LB after switching positions multiple times. Will continue to get better with experience.
  5. Jarvis Miller is a young guy that needs to set up. Big, strong, athletic and can run.
  6. Did not specifically mention any of the 3 redshirting LB's.
  7. And CJF made a point of discussing at length that the PSU defense is really a 4-2-5 defense. Said there is some confusion (perception by fans and media??? about numbers of LB's on roster). CJF says they really play with 2 LB's. 3rd guy is really a hybrid, whether he is a Safety or Corner.
So with 3 LB's in 2018 class, even though 1 could grow into a DE, I'm not expecting another LB in the 2018 class......

On another note, CJF said that Bowen will not be available for the MD game. Didn't say why. And CJF did not mention Bowen during his discussion of LB depth (i.e. next year's potential LB players). Does this mean that Bowen might not be on the 2018 team?? Who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: T J and mn78psu83
Good, we need some tough guys on this team. Too much rah-rah and dancing around smiling. Get mean mugging and kicking some teeth in. Maybe he can play O-line. Give me some nasty boys who don't give a f, just a few to provide the edge we need.

I'm surprised that no one commented yet on CJF's discussion within his MD press conference about the LB depth. A couple of interesting points regarding LB depth that reflect on some questions within the past LB threads:

1. CJF purposely mentions Cam Brown first, as having a very very bright future, strong, athletic, long. Lots of room for growth and development, but CJF is excited
  2. CJF mentions Jake Cooper, as having been waiting his turn with coaches waiting for that ah-ha moment, needing to stay healthy. will have a chance to contribute going forward, and teams needs Cooper to contribute. This seems to imply that Cooper will be back for he Senior season.
  3. Excited about Jan Johnson, as the opportunities that he has had, he has played pretty well.
  4. Farmer has done a nice job, as a first year starter at LB after switching positions multiple times. Will continue to get better with experience.
  5. Jarvis Miller is a young guy that needs to set up. Big, strong, athletic and can run.
  6. Did not specifically mention any of the 3 redshirting LB's.
  7. And CJF made a point of discussing at length that the PSU defense is really a 4-2-5 defense. Said there is some confusion (perception by fans and media??? about numbers of LB's on roster). CJF says they really play with 2 LB's. 3rd guy is really a hybrid, whether he is a Safety or Corner.
So with 3 LB's in 2018 class, even though 1 could grow into a DE, I'm not expecting another LB in the 2018 class......

On another note, CJF said that Bowen will not be available for the MD game. Didn't say why. And CJF did not mention Bowen during his discussion of LB depth (i.e. next year's potential LB players). Does this mean that Bowen might not be on the 2018 team?? Who knows.

I think theres a decent chance Bowen won't be back. I have no idea of the issue nor do I pretend to but this is twice now and this one seems pretty severe. I'd guess if he's not back for the bowl practices/game he's gone.

ADVERTISEMENT