Going to Mars is ridiculous

Catch50

Feb 5, 2003
The pro mission to Mars group needs to consider the facts of life regarding technology.

Consider how we maintain our commercial airlines. Aircraft are checked in intervals. I don't know the exact times at the moment. Let's say 3 months, then 6, then a year, then 2 or 3 years. These aircraft cannot afford more than a critical backup system or two. I have never heard of a commercial aircraft not coming to the closest airport if an engine goes out. Or a fuel pump. Or an electrical energy source. In fact aircraft sometimes come down if a warning light is on. Sometimes the crew can't tell if a system is in-operable, or it is just a bad light or circuit. These are done for safety. And an immediate return to earth would be impossible once out of earth orbit.

They don't even have systems that would be critical for crew survival and comfort to go to Mars. Such as washing machines. Since aircraft can come get down to about ten thousand feet pretty quickly, where breathable is available, probably only one or two oxygen system is needed. Unlike a spacecraft where there is much less room for error.

In addition, the medical hazards of going to Mars are likely insurmountable. Especially radiation.

kts136

Nov 21, 2013
The pro mission to Mars group needs to consider the facts of life regarding technology.

Consider how we maintain our commercial airlines. Aircraft are checked in intervals. I don't know the exact times at the moment. Let's say 3 months, then 6, then a year, then 2 or 3 years. These aircraft cannot afford more than a critical backup system or two. I have never heard of a commercial aircraft not coming to the closest airport if an engine goes out. Or a fuel pump. Or an electrical energy source. In fact aircraft sometimes come down if a warning light is on. Sometimes the crew can't tell if a system is in-operable, or it is just a bad light or circuit. These are done for safety. And an immediate return to earth would be impossible once out of earth orbit.

They don't even have systems that would be critical for crew survival and comfort to go to Mars. Such as washing machines. Since aircraft can come get down to about ten thousand feet pretty quickly, where breathable is available, probably only one or two oxygen system is needed. Unlike a spacecraft where there is much less room for error.

In addition, the medical hazards of going to Mars are likely insurmountable. Especially radiation.
If you’re scared, then simply don’t go.
Problem solved for you.

Catch50

Feb 5, 2003
If you’re scared, then simply don’t go.
Problem solved for you.
I'm scared of the U.S wasting its money.
I'm scared of the U.S. losing its minds.

Why should we go? Do you have such low self esteem that we need to do it for national pride?

It's strategically good for us for Russia and China or whoever to waste their money on this nonsense.

If you're wondering why I started this thread, it's because these are some of the points I should have made June 29, 2021 before I lost my cool and was banned.

Latest posts