ADVERTISEMENT

God, Family and Wrestling.

johnstownsteel

Aug 2, 2013
Johnstown Pa
The past couple of weeks have been the most trying of my life. I first lost my son unexpectedly and then several days later my grandmother. Its a struggle each day but through my faith in God and love from family and friends...I soldier on. I wanted to reach out to all of you and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Evenings are difficult, my mind wanders and sadness creeps in. It's at those times when I hit the forums to keep from going crazy. It's you that has brought me some peace, even if it's just for a little while. Its you that has brought me laughter again and as always it's you that makes me feel as if I'm part of the PSU wrestling family. It may just seem like some silly little message board but it really does serve people in ways that many of us never would have imagined. I know I didn't...

I thank all of you. I truly do...

johnstownsteel

The only social media I do is this wrestling board. It was my salvation last year when on Feb 2 I had hip replacement, and after surgery they thought I had suffered a stroke. I was 56 years old and was overwhelmed. I remember watching the Ohio State match from hospital bed and it gave me a few hours of an escape of reality , which I needed. As I would lay in bed when I was sent home ,the one thing that would get me a little of enjoyment was this board.
Fortunately after a few months of test and exams, it is thought that my cranial nerve was damaged by anstesia tube. Still not perfect but better.
What Johntownsteel is going through is far more devastating than what I went through. I do get annoyed when people on this board and other sports related situations become nasty and vengeful about a non life changing issue.
Without going into detail I could speak of 40 years of what families go through during true tragic moments.
Seek and find enjoyment in life. This board is one of those things.

My prayers are with you and the family.

You are a legend on these boards and trust me you bring more laughter than you can imagine as well as being a great fan.

Stay strong my forum brother! I hear you when you say these boards give you comfort. It does for many of us.

If you were in Jersey I’d definitely take you out for a few drinks, talk wrestling and laugh our asses off at some of the crazy forum stuff over the years. If you’re ever in Jersey, hit me up

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Sorry for your situation. I was struck this weekend at how really solid the champs were. Great young men. Those who didn’t get their arm raised are probably just as solid. Caring young men who love the sport, their teammates, families, schools. Lots of things to be grateful for, even when things don’t seem to make a lot of sense.

Stay strong, prayers lifted. From one steel guy to another......

The past couple of weeks have been the most trying of my life. I first lost my son unexpectedly and then several days later my grandmother. Its a struggle each day but through my faith in God and love from family and friends...I soldier on. I wanted to reach out to all of you and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Evenings are difficult, my mind wanders and sadness creeps in. It's at those times when I hit the forums to keep from going crazy. It's you that has brought me some peace, even if it's just for a little while. Its you that has brought me laughter again and as always it's you that makes me feel as if I'm part of the PSU wrestling family. It may just seem like some silly little message board but it really does serve people in ways that many of us never would have imagined. I know I didn't...

johnstownsteel

I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope that thru counseling or faith or meditation or whatever it is you believe in or need, that you seek it out. You do have a “family” here and we stand ready to help.

I'm so very sorry for this happening to you. God bless you and your family. I've thought about returning to being just an ISU fan, but you guys as a group are as much of a pull toward PSU as the amazing wrestlers. You make me laugh often Johnstown, and I'm a little happier person having you in my life.

Johnstownsteel, my prayers are with you. As stated by others, the laughter you have supplied is fantastic. Last June, in the space of three weeks I had a stroke, then my father and my mother-in-law passed away, but all pale in respect to losing a child.

Stay strong. This message board brings us together into a family, even though most of us never meet in person. Again, my prayers are with you and your family.

Very sorry to hear of your loss Jtown. You have my condolences. Thoughts and prayers to you.
If you don't have tickets to Nationals, I can get you a ticket for Saturday. Both sessions. No cost. If it gives you an escape for a day, a few hours, or a few minutes, I'd be happy to do it. Just let me know.

johnstownsteel

My heartfelt condolences go out to you and your loved ones during these difficult times, Johnstownsteel. I cannot imagine what you're going through.

johnstownsteel
You have my thoughts and prayers

My prayers and thoughts go out to you and yours. May god bless you and all involved in this very trying situation you are going through right now. Turning to the Lord during this time will pull you through like no one else can. What little comfort we can give you I'm sure would make those that you have lost smile. Family is what you have here I've come to learn and we are pulling for you. I have no affiliation with PSU but somehow feel close to everyone who does. I'm fortunate enough to be located near you so if you need anything please let me know. God bless.

no piling on for me! does this mean I can get your NCAA Nats tickets?:D
All kidding aside (I have my own tiks), sorry to hear about this and am happy your driving thru these troubles. Gotta move forward and cherish the memories. (some times it just sucks getting old!)

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family Johnstownsteel. May God grant you the strength and courage to battle through this.
Nothing compared to what you and your family has had to endure. But a little story to share. I have lost my father and two uncles (whom were all 3 brothers that ate, slept and drank wrestling )all within a year and a half.
Last year my father and I were supposed to go to nationals in Cleveland we had our room booked and at the last minute I told my dad that I didn't wanna pay the prices for tickets in Cleveland and we should just wait till Pittsburgh. Being that were only a 2 hr drive away and all.
So he had no problem with that and we cancelled our room and started to plan for 2019 in Pittsburgh. Well in August of 2018 my father passed away with many complications and a hard faught battle with cancer. So up in the air with what I should do and not really feeling it was fair for me to go this year after everything that happened.....I have decided to attend my first ever NCAA Wrestling Championships. I feel I owe this to my Dad and I'm sure he will be there right by my side and looking down from above cheering on our beloved Nittany Lions. Love you Dad! And Here's to you Johnstownsteel keep the great post coming. We Are..... all here for you if you need us.

johnstownsteel

god speed. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Best wishes, my man. That’s a deep hole to fall in: puts the highs and lows of the wrestling we obsess over in serious perspective. I’m glad our foolin’ around here can bring you some levity.

So, so sorry JTS. I couldn't fathom what you must be going through right now. Prayers are with you bud. Just know that your participation on the boards has brightened up many days. So thank you as well.

steel, that’s the worst thing a person can experience, and I offer my sincere condolences. I’m glad you are using this forum to help, as little as it must be. Hang in there. Time will move slowly for a while, but it will help in the end. Hope to see you around!

Sorry for all your family JTS prayers for all of you. Know some Hawks fan gave u some bad times but this message board is small stuff and we need to learn don't sweat the small stuff. Again so sorry may your grandma and son RIP. Keep your faith and you know all these wrestling fans are family also..After all that is what wrestling is "We are family".

johnstownsteel
Sorry to hear about the difficulties but happy to see you have faith and support from very strong avenues. All you've said, and music have brought me through some tough times. :salute friend. i'm already crazy though so nothing is gonna help me with that. hahahaha

I was not raised in a religious family and went to PSU with an open mind about God’s existence. Four years later I graduated with a BS in Biology. Notwithstanding the evidence to the contrary, I came to believe that there was a God. Simply put, God revealed himself to me as I sought answers to my questions. This changed the course of my life. I continued my studies (two master’s degrees and a Ph.D.) and I now teach at a Christian University in Indiana. The hope and assurance of faith sustain me with the knowledge that I will see loved ones again after death. I have seen many people without faith spiral down in depression and despair after the loss of family and friends. That is a deep hole to climb out of and some people never make it. When life beats you down, some people turn to alcohol, drugs or suicide. What impresses me most about several of our wrestlers (and those at OSU as well) is that they’ve got their eyes on the prize. They look beyond the accolades and achievements that they earn on the mat and realize that there is something more important in life. How many times have you heard Jason, Bo and Zain communicate this in their interviews? How can an extraordinarily talented wrestler like Miles Martin graciously walk off the mat last year after the most bitter defeat of his career? He explained the reason on Saturday. Trust God, in spite of what happens in life.

The purpose of having a community is to help people when they fall down. We need to share our stories because in the process we learn from one another and we realize that we are not alone in this world. Living in Indiana, my wife and I are not able to connect much with the PSU wrestling fan base. We wish we could, because this forum has helped me to appreciate the wild, crazy, “fun” and knowledgeable group that we have online (I really wish that Spyker would reappear). We try to make the Big 10 Championships, the Scuffle and matches when our guys wrestle out this direction. In those instances, we have been blessed to meet a few of you. I’ve never met you or been to Johnstown, but Johnstownsteel, you will be in my prayers. I hope someday we will meet.

So sorry for your losses. Sending love to you and your family.

May these days be the moments Bo was on his back until he, and you, realized his strength and training. That is probably a really sh*tty attempt at symbolism, but this clip always cheers me up.

ADVERTISEMENT