ADVERTISEMENT

Give me a food "hidden treasure" from your town.

Restaurant by the name of Jethro's in Lancaster, PA. Great little corner restaurant in the west end of town with very good food and great cocktails. Their Sidecar is awesome.
Not my home town, but just returned from my son's wedding in York Maine.
https://www.anthonysfoodshop.com/

Anthony's Food Shop. Ate there three times for lunch. Great sandwiches. Depending on when you eat one, you may not have to eat the rest of the day. Parking lot was packed every time we went.

They make some great Cuban Sandwiches down here in Tampa. Cuban (French) bread, ham, salami, swiss cheese, and ROAST PORK! plus mustard and pickles. Pressed nice and thin. It was weird to me at first that they include sliced deli meat and then pull chunks from a pork butt right in front of you.

I recommend Andy's on the Bay in Oldsmar. And they're only open 6AM-2PM M-F to add to the aunthenticity.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's no Sandwich Man or Jackson House but man, a good one, with some pork drippings and some chimi-churi pepper sauce...

Reactions: BrucePa and Nitwit
High school reunion we ate at a place called "Dixie Wreck's". They serve specialty sandwiches with a special sauce they call jizz sauce. I didn't have one but a few of the women in the group had the sandwich and they all commented on the taste of the sandwich's sauce. They all said they haven't had that taste in their mouth since high school.

The food threads got me thinking about those restaurants, food products, or recipes that are unique to certain towns. You know, the food the locals know about and treasure.

So add your local favorite to this thread, and give us enough details so that we know where to go to enjoy it ourselves. The Coal Region has to have a million places for this.

My Harrisburg favorite? Schmidt's Sausage, Eisenhower Blvd., suburban Harrisburg, Dauphin County.

http://www.schmidtssausage.com/

My family has been going to this family owned business for six decades. This is a butcher shop where it is made, so do not expect a restaurant and take out. The hot smoked sausage is the best sausage I have ever had. Nobody else is even close. My son enjoys the extra hot links on a good Philly roll. My favorite is the hot smoked simmered in Silver Floss sauerkraut for an hour or two. DO NOT miss this place on your nest trip to Harrisburg. It is only a couple minutes from the Turnpike. The best version is the large double links. 3 double links might set you back about $20, but it will be worth it.

Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger is an icon here.

https://www.blimpyburger.com/

Though my preference is Monahan's Seafood. Hard to believe you can get decent seafood in Ann Arbor, MI. Check it next time you come up for the game.

https://monahansseafood.com/

The food threads got me thinking about those restaurants, food products, or recipes that are unique to certain towns. You know, the food the locals know about and treasure.

So add your local favorite to this thread, and give us enough details so that we know where to go to enjoy it ourselves. The Coal Region has to have a million places for this.

My Harrisburg favorite? Schmidt's Sausage, Eisenhower Blvd., suburban Harrisburg, Dauphin County.

My family has been going to this family owned business for six decades. This is a butcher shop where it is made, so do not expect a restaurant and take out. The hot smoked sausage is the best sausage I have ever had. Nobody else is even close. My son enjoys the extra hot links on a good Philly roll. My favorite is the hot smoked simmered in Silver Floss sauerkraut for an hour or two. DO NOT miss this place on your nest trip to Harrisburg. It is only a couple minutes from the Turnpike. The best version is the large double links. 3 double links might set you back about $20, but it will be worth it.

In Altoona, PA Texas Hot Dogs (order them with everything). For dessert Meadows Frozen Custard (teaberry is especially good).

Those who have travelled to State College thru Harrisburg are aware of an iconic place near Duncannon on US-322. Yes siree! The Red Rabbit has been around as long as I can remember. Is the food great? Not really. Is the service great? It is OK. But it is neat to sit in your car and devour the food. Reminder: they are only open in the summer.

Just as a follow up.....based on CF Lion's post, I travelled to Kennett Square and tried the ice cream at La Machiacano.....but before that, tried the tacos at their sister restaurant, Machiancano.....

Amazing. Both of them. Incredible flavors. Definitely worth the 1 hour 15 minute ride.

And that, I put my man card on the shelf next to PSUBob92's man card and went to Longwood Gardens for their water and light show. Have to say - I was impressed.

Just as a follow up.....based on CF Lion's post, I travelled to Kennett Square and tried the ice cream at La Machiacano.....but before that, tried the tacos at their sister restaurant, Machiancano.....

Amazing. Both of them. Incredible flavors. Definitely worth the 1 hour 15 minute ride.

And that, I put my man card on the shelf next to PSUBob92's man card and went to Longwood Gardens for their water and light show. Have to say - I was impressed.

So this thread has become an economic driver promoting tourism!

Where is my trophy Governor?

Restaurant by the name of Jethro's in Lancaster, PA. Great little corner restaurant in the west end of town with very good food and great cocktails. Their Sidecar is awesome.

OT: Jethro's update. Jethro's has officially closed its doors for good. Owner said Coronavirus crippled the business to the point of permanent closure. :(

My ‘home’ hometown is in Beaver County, PA. If someone were visiting and wanting to eat what the locals eat, I’d recommend Jerry’s Curb Service (the original and only restaurant - they also own Bruster’s Ice Cream) and the Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe. Beaver County’s hidden gem though is flavored wings - took the baton from Quaker Steak and Lube and made it better. Zooky’s, Kendrew’s, and Back Door Tavern are all standouts. I'd add fish sandwich Friday at pretty much any local restaurant is a thing too (noting Back Door has the best IMO).

Another quintessential Beaver County delight is a steak salad - Hilltop in Rochester is the first place I ever had one of these. Yes, it has fries on it.

Jerry's (Beaver, PA)

Jerrys-ext-e1534326902697.jpg

Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe (Various Locations)

the-meal.jpg

Zooky's (New Brighton, PA)

IMG_9762-e1528397775394-768x1024.jpg

Zooky's Wing Menu

IMG_9760-e1528397913409-768x1024.jpg

Back Door Tavern (Bridgewater, PA) Fish Sandwich

IMG_4315-sm.jpg

Hilltop - Rochester, PA

EP-302239957.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m guessing it’s not still there because I haven’t lived in Jersey inn 23 years (o_O) but there was a hole in the wall joint called the Side Door Deli in South Belmar. They made a delicious pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwich (on Kaiser roll I believe) and also made the best chicken noodle soup I’ve ever had.

Well, since you’re doing updates.

the Boro’s location in Hummelstown closed this week. Riverfront location still open.

Shakedown BBQ closed awhile ago, replaced by a Latin joint (which I’ve heard good things about)

I don't know if it's exactly a hidden treasure, but a food I've found since living in Virginia that I haven't seen anywhere else is cream of peanut soup. It's amazing! For me, local is The Red Fox Inn in Middleburg, VA.

DSC_0978.JPG
I eat at the Red Fox Inn fairly regularly but I’ve not tried the peanut soup yet. Always thought it would taste like a big bowl of melted peanut butter. Guess I’ll have to give it a shot next time I’m there.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Donair. Like a gyro but better.
king-of-donair-donair-with-classic-toppings.jpeg

i'll second this. MUCH better than a Gyro. However slight correction, in true Turkish food (in Germany) the Doner Kebab is normally on a plate. Doner is simply the way the meat is prepared. The dürüm doner is the wrap that you're talking about, with the dürüm being the wrap and the doner being the meat. Only reason I know this is because i've been searching for a dürüm since out honeymoon to Germany in 2015 (first time we had one) and i've been corrected by every Turkish place i've checked. Still haven't been able to find one outside of Germany. However if you ever get to Frankfurt, get the dürüm at Merkez Doner Haus and if you're ever in Munich, go to Altin dilim. Also get the kunefe at Altin Dilim. Fresh made to order. AMAZING. Every time the Wife and I get to Germany, we go to Munich and about 75% of the reason is to go to Altin Dilim.

Camp rolls. Shrimp and grits with Tasso ham and pepperjack cheese in a deep fried spring roll. Served with a remoulade on the side.

The Texas Rangers in Freeport, NY. Their "Special" Rangeburger has been a tradition for over 70 years. When I was a freshman at PSU in 1962, a fellow Freeporter and I hitchhiked home from PSU just to get some "specials." Took us over 24 hours but was worth it. Still eat one a week.

Philadelphia Steaks & Hoagies on the Carlisle Pike in Camp Hill, PA. Best cheesesteak I have ever had, and that includes any of the places in Philadelphia.

Jay's Hot Dog's in Boardman, Ohio. Nothing Better than a Jay's Hot Dog. A Day without Jay's in not the same.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Papa Vitos in Coco Beach Florida every time I go there on business I get the Deluxe calzone. I don't know why but I sure do like it.
Had an amazing afternoon riding bikes, hitting the beach and enjoying Jazzy's Mainely Lobster in Coco during a cruise ship layover. Awesome, fresh lobster roll Sammy. The owner Douglas was from Massachusetts. It was a slow weekday so he joined us in many beers, hit on my mother in law. I left my 2005 Orange Bowl cap on the ceiling of his game area at his request. Memorable spot!

I was in the Lehigh Valley yesterday and I drove by Yocco's Hot Dogs. What do the locals think of that place?

BTW, it is incredible in the Lehigh Valley with all the development taking place. It makes Harrisburg and Lancaster look modest by comparison.
I am almost addicted to Yoccos. I'll get a cheesesteak, sauce only and a hot dog, no onions. The chili sauce makes the difference.
Ironically, it is owned by the Iacocca family, currently by Gary who is Lee's nephew.

Reactions: flavorguy

Lobster Roll from V&V Scratch Kitchen in Finleyville, PA....I know this sounds absolutely crazy. But I have had lobster rolls all over Maine and these are better. In fact, it’s not even close. Lobster shipped in fresh several times per week. Sell out so fast your head will spin.

ADVERTISEMENT