ADVERTISEMENT

Give me a food "hidden treasure" from your town.

Jethro's was formerly owned or co-owned by a guy named Korn's who was a record setting QB at Franklin and Marshal college. Not sure if he's still connected to Jethro's or not. Former Marine officer. Very nice place to spend an evening out.
Don't think he is involved anymore. It has been owned and operated by a husband and wife team. I love the place and go there monthly.

Originally from Lancaster, some 40 years ago. I agree with the Washington Boro tomatoes, but shoo-fly pie is awesome. So are real pretzels, not the soft dough from Philly. And a liverwurst and onion sandwich is simply delicious. Same with all manner of Lebanon Bologna and Sweet Bologna. For those who are not adventurous, then leave the head cheese for me. It's a delight.

For the lone poster who mentioned Taco Bamba in the DC area, I live in Springfield and Taco Bamba sucks.

This is my favorite ice cream. It's homemade at Eder's in Montoursville.
I grew up in Montoursville and will put the Urban Churn over Eder's. The two are very different, but I'm telling everyone, try out the Churn

I can't believe I never knew about Jackson House in Harrisburg until a few years ago. Good lord do they know how to make an Italian sub!
I'm usually not much of an Italian hoagie fan, but I had to get an Italian hoagie from the Jackson House today because of this thread. It was terrific

Reactions: Fac and odshowtime
I grew up in Montoursville and will put the Urban Churn over Eder's. The two are very different, but I'm telling everyone, try out the Churn
Next you'll tell me others make better ring bologna than the Country Store! That's heresy! Lol. Where did you live in Montoursville?

Donair. Like a gyro but better.
king-of-donair-donair-with-classic-toppings.jpeg

Reactions: odshowtime
Chocolates at Billy's Candies in Temple, PA. Can't go home and not get some of the salted caramels. I am pretty sure the owner is a alum.

I used to go to Alexander's steakhouse in Champaign, Ill. Pick your own steak, grab a beer, and cook it yourself around a huge fire pit.
Seriously, is that not the best? When I worked for Boise Cascade, we would go nearly every Friday night. Cold beer, great food, and outdoor sand volleyball. Couldn't be beat.

Reactions: bdgan
Next you'll tell me others make better ring bologna than the Country Store! That's heresy! Lol. Where did you live in Montoursville?
Haha, no way, that would be outrageous! Early years where on Nicely Ave in the borough, and then my family moved out off of Quakerstate Rd.

Reactions: Hotshoe
My two favorite places in AZ shut down. Greasewood Flats in Scottsdale, and The Mining Camp Restaurant in Apache Junction. I hate new times. Looks like the old hotel in Oleana, PA, next to Ole Bull Is closed as well. The oldest floating dance floor in America.

Haha, no way, that would be outrageous! Early years where on Nicely Ave in the borough, and then my family moved out off of Quakerstate Rd.
402 Chestnut St. Just above Lyter Elementary.

Had me a cabin at the mouth of Little Bear and the Loyalsock before she washed into Little Bear about 6 years ago. My brother's house is on top the mountain in Shunk.

Forksville Inn is good food as well. A bud of mine and my brother has run it for years. He came up from Lancaster.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
pepperoni rolls in Clarksburg/Bridgeport, WV. Quality varies, but Tomorrow's (truck: eat Tomorrow's bread today!) always seemed good

I'm usually not much of an Italian hoagie fan, but I had to get an Italian hoagie from the Jackson House today because of this thread. It was terrific

That warms my heart man. You're a lucky dude. I had Arby's for lunch.

I think Jackson House has been around for a long time but I never got to the actual 'Burg that often. Never heard of it until about 5 years ago my buddy turned me on. The place is Perfect. They're A-holes. The line is out the door. Don't call in an order after about 11:15. Sometimes they don't answer the phone at all. BECAUSE IT'S CRACK! It's a trap house!

I heard their burgers are great too but I can't miss a sub.

That warms my heart man. You're a lucky dude. I had Arby's for lunch.

I think Jackson House has been around for a long time but I never got to the actual 'Burg that often. Never heard of it until about 5 years ago my buddy turned me on. The place is Perfect. They're A-holes. The line is out the door. Don't call in an order after about 11:15. Sometimes they don't answer the phone at all. BECAUSE IT'S CRACK! It's a trap house!

I heard their burgers are great too but I can't miss a sub.
I had their burger once, my first time there actually, and it was ok but their subs are the better bet. You can get a comparable, or better, burger elsewhere. I think that I will try a cheese steak from there next week, I hear that they are great.

If you happen to pass through central NJ, here are 2 places I'd recommend trying:

Seafood: Uncle Vinnie's Clam Bar (http://www.unclevinniesclambar.com/) in Raritan, hometown of John Basilone (honored in a parade down Somerset St. each Sept)

Our Hometown Hero:
Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone

(Nov.14,1916 - Feb. 19, 1945)

Awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions at the Battle of Guadalcanal, he was the only enlisted Marine during WWII to receive both the Medal of Honor & the Navy Cross.

Polish: Halinka's in Hillsborough (Route 206 South near intersection of Amwell Road/Rt 514) (http://polishdelinj.com/). Great pierogies, cakes, bigos (Hunter's stew), etc...Love the blueberry and strawberry pierogies.

Reactions: flavorguy
A Taste Of History on PBS-Walter Staib of Philly City Tavern.Its the oldest restaurant in Philly.Its expensive and I've only been there once,but I had a great meal.He used to be a regular on comcast In Chefs Kitchen.I also have his book Black Forrest.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Breakfast-Kuppys Diner-sausage egg and cheese carousel w/ sour cream & salsa (Saturday only)
Lunch-Casero’s Pizza-west shore farmers market (tues, fri, sat only)
Dinner-glass lounge bacon cheeseburger w/grilled onions

I grew up near Birdsboro, PA. Back in the day, a place called a Miller’s Luncheonette had a specialty called the gizmo....ham n cheese, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, hamburger patties and cheese on a hoagie roll. Wow!!! Local places have tried to copy it....just not the same. Every time I see threads like this , my mouth waters for a Gizmo!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT