ADVERTISEMENT

Give me a food "hidden treasure" from your town.

Shrimp n’ grits at Crooks corner here in Chapel Hill. Once this covid mess is figured out, I’m headed there with my wife. Nothing like that dish anywhere - it’s what they eat in heaven.

The Squeeze-In, rumored to be the smallest restaurant in Pennsylvania, at 448 1/2 Market St., Sunbury, PA. The kitchen & dining area is 8 ft wide by 16 ft long. Five stools, but they do have two outdoor tables when the weather is nice. Hot dogs, typically served on a napkin sans plate, baked beans, chips, coffee, milk, & soda, including Big Ben’s Birch Beer from Catwhiskers. They’ve been a Sunbury staple since 1945 when the original owner closed in an alleyway between two buildings, hence the address of 448 1/2. They’ve recently expanded their empire to include an ice cream shop called the Dip-In next door and a bar in a garage out back called the Duck-In.

squeeze01.jpeg

squeeze02.jpeg

squeeze06.jpeg

squeeze07.jpeg

squeeze05.jpeg

Last edited:
For anyone who lives near Nashville, you MUST try Willie Mae's Barbeque in Springfield, TN. You will not be disappointed!
The owner used to live in Erie, PA and is a PSU fan. They are only open Tuesday-Friday from 11-2:30 for lunch, get there early or the food, especially brisket (my favorite) will run out

Up in schuylkill county Tommy's M&S in Saint Clair . Gotta get the chili

Place called the Chicken Shack.....
Was named best fried chicken in the state- and in the state of Alabama, that is saying something. But, still not better than my grandmother's (God rest her soul) who learned how to fry chicken from her mother here in Alabama, and took the talent north to the delight of her Pennsylvania neighbors and family.

Apple cider donuts from the market on Crowltoot road near Lincoln University in southwestern Chester county. Made on Thursday’s and Saturday’s in September and October. Amish made and the best I have ever found.

The Apple Cider Donuts at The Holy Donut in Portland ME and incredible....there is no reason to buy any other.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
allentown, pa...... the chicken lounge.......... the nachos are off the chart
Wow that place is still open? I think it was adjacent to a K Mart in Dorneyville when I was a kid. Knowing that the whole shopping center in that area was re-developed I figured that place was long gone.

Hoagie Mike's --Edwardsville, PA

Sizzle Pi--Kingston, PA. Great pizza.
Do you live across the street from Hogie Mikes? I know the corner of Williams and Main well, l spent 5th grade thru HS years in the town in the 60's. Lost my child hood friends Chukie Ryscavage and Ray Poplaski about a year ago. Both died within a month of each other, they lived at 2 and 6 Williams Street.

Last edited:
Wow that place is still open? I think it was adjacent to a K Mart in Dorneyville when I was a kid. Knowing that the whole shopping center in that area was re-developed I figured that place was long gone.
It was next to a Laneco which was like a Kmart. Going back before the shopping center to the 1960s, it was the Dorneyville Golf Center with a par 3 course, driving range and mini golf. And a Yoccos hot dog stand (see my earlier post on Yoccos).
The Chicken Lounge is also known for its pork loin sandwich.

It was next to a Laneco which was like a Kmart. Going back before the shopping center to the 1960s, it was the Dorneyville Golf Center with a par 3 course, driving range and mini golf. And a Yoccos hot dog stand (see my earlier post on Yoccos).
The Chicken Lounge is also known for its pork loin sandwich.
Laneco, that's it. KMart didn't sound right. I never went in the Lounge, struck me as more of a bar and at the time I was around that area I was underage. I'm plenty familiar with Yoccos, I tend to go there at least once per trip to the Lehigh Valley.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
The Hi-Mark bar in the east end of Cincinnati. Good beer selection and their Vietnamese chili cheese fries are crazy good.

33_tm+photography+Tine+Hofmann+-+tm075.jpg

3b11b669-6bad-4560-9c4a-49acc67048d7.jpeg

Do you live across the street from Hogie Mikes? I know the corner of Williams and Main well, l spent 5th grade thru HS years in the town in the 60's. Lost my child hood friends Chukie Ryscavage and Ray Poplaski about a year ago. Both died within a month of each other, they lived at 2 and 6 Williams Street.

No, I just have lots of family in that area, in Edwardsville and Kingston.

Reactions: step.eng69
Mi Caldero in York PA. I came back from PR a few years ago. Tried to find a place that make mofongo. Looked up this place and they are ranked #1 in York by Trip Advisor.

Great people and great food. The best Cuban sandwich I have ever had. (and best pork).

The Squeeze-In, rumored to be the smallest restaurant in Pennsylvania, at 448 1/2 Market St., Sunbury, PA. The kitchen & dining area is 8 ft wide by 16 ft long. Five stools, but they do have two outdoor tables when the weather is nice. Hot dogs, typically served on a napkin sans plate, baked beans, chips, coffee, milk, & soda, including Big Ben’s Birch Beer from Catwhiskers. They’ve been a Sunbury staple since 1945 when the original owner closed in an alleyway between two buildings, hence the address of 448 1/2. They’ve recently expanded their empire to include an ice cream shop called the Dip-In next door and a bar in a garage out back called the Duck-In.

squeeze01.jpeg

squeeze02.jpeg

squeeze06.jpeg

squeeze07.jpeg

squeeze05.jpeg
my kind of place. reminds me of coney island here in johhstown, pa. best chilli dogs!!

Phil's BBQ here in San Diego. It's not really "hidden" anymore...they have a few county chains. But it's the one place you should eat if you can only have one meal in San Diego. I started there when it was a street shop with about seating for 30 people...you can buy bottles of the BBQ sauce too.

Favorite BBQ in York County? Porky's on Lincoln Highway. Not open many hours...but memorize their hours...and you won't be disappointed.

Libbys restaurant in Wilmington DE.thursday get the chicken orzo. I recommend the dark meat. Fantastic.

Pan-Fried Sicilian Pizza is something that I've only found in NEPA. Cosmo's on Oak perfected the craft.

Texas Weiners are all over Scranton and it's debatable who invented them. The most iconic in Scranton are at http://www.texas-wiener.com/ and http://www.coneyislandofscranton.com/ my personal favorites come from Keystone Restaurant on Main Ave in West Scranton.

I agree with hoagies from Catalano's. If you're there in the summer, make sure you grab an Italian Ice.

Anywhere in the south - The Publix Chicken Tender Sub is really something - especially when it's on sale for $6.99. The breading tastes like KFC.

chicken-tender-sub-from-publix-png-1551889806.png

Not my hometown, but since this is a PENNSYLVANIA SU board, found this charming cafe outside of Harrisburg just off I-81 ... Mellow Minded Cafe ... ate there with my wife last year when we were heading to Port Jervis to play golf.

I’m not sure if it is still open, but there was a place called Chili Dog in Tamaqua. It was a tiny greasy spoon that always had great comfort food.
o.jpg

Also in the area was the Port Clinton hotel. Great cheesesteaks.

a-shot-of-the-place.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT