ADVERTISEMENT

Gilman - Love Him or Hate Him

DT is pound-for-pound light years ahead of Gilman in freestyle just like he was in college.
He has been behind an Olympic/World Champion and an Olympic Medalist. Meanwhile 55kgs continues to be USA's weakest weight with no medals since 2008. Who did Gilman have to beat to make the team? What are his notable wins?
And if he didn't ever attend Iowa you wouldn't give a flying phunk.

Hawk or no Hawk, I wouldn't care for Thomas Gilman. Put Clark in that spot and I'm 100% behind him just like I was for Dennis last year at the Olympics. Do you ever hear me talk bad about Sorenson or Kemerer or any other Iowa starter, well other then Stoll, he seems like a tool also.

Last edited:
DT is pound-for-pound light years ahead of Gilman in freestyle just like he was in college.
He has been behind an Olympic/World Champion and an Olympic Medalist. Meanwhile 55kgs continues to be USA's weakest weight with no medals since 2008. Who did Gilman have to beat to make the team? What are his notable wins?

Hawk or no Hawk, I wouldn't care for Thomas Gilman. Put Clark in that spot and I'm 100% behind him just like I was for Dennis last year at the Olympics. Do you ever hear me talk bad about Sorenson or Kemerer or any other Iowa starter, well other then Stoll, he seems like a tool also.
I bet it makes you sick knowing Zain and Thomas are good friends. Not sure what Stoll has done for you to call him such a name either. Did you even watch the Gilman video Flo did?

Reactions: kevin310
I bet it makes you sick knowing Zain and Thomas are good friends. Not sure what Stoll has done for you to call him such a name either. Did you even watch the Gilman video Flo did?

I would agree with Turk. What is the point of disparaging Stoll? Unnecessary IMO.

As to Gilman, I get that many don't like him and I don't like the antics either, but my reason is it reminds me too much of myself. Mine was on the BBall court, but I did much the same thing. Only I was a lot more immature, irritating, and had a bad temper to boot.

Give him some time to mature. I'm sure he will. Already seems to have made progress since NCAA's. I for one am rooting for him.

I'm sure glad everyone didn't write me off as hopeless. Well a bunch did but enough didn't. :)

Stoll standing over an injured Dawson Peck screaming at him didn't sit too well with me but I'm sure he's a great guy :rolleyes:

Give him some time to mature. I'm sure he will. Already seems to have made progress since NCAA's. I for one am rooting for him.
That's what I see too. Not a bad guy, just in the middle of an ongoing maturing process, and maybe not all the way to that finishing line. But nothing I see as worth getting worked up over, just a handful of things his older self will probably have the good sense to roll his eyes at.

Kind of reminds me of ex-Ranger Sean Avery--smart guy, was never going to get into too much trouble, but had a knack for opening his mouth at the wrong time with the wrong words. Of course, Avery never learned, but there's hope for Gilman.

Reactions: kingslayer_85
I had the pleasure of meeting Flying Tiger and he is a nice guy.
Was just thinking about this, W!! I've had the pleasure of meeting many from here and Scout, AND THEY'RE ALL GOOD FOLK, EVERY ONE. Honestly, when you look for good in people, that's all you'll see. When you focus on the "not-so-good", that's all you'll see...simple really.

Back to the subject...I'll never understand loving or hating any wrestler. My focus is on the behavior, and yes, some of Gilman's (behavior) has been boorish in the past, but not his wrestling. And even the boorish behavior isn't all on him, as his coaches could have reigned him in some, and the referees didn't do him any favors either...so the BEHAVIOR continued. I saw petulance, arrogance, bravado, and more. I also saw competitive, hard-nosed, never-say-die wrestling...which, as a wrestling fan, was exciting to me. As far as off the mat...if Zain and he can become friends, he's alright by me. As an American, he has my unconditional support at the Senior Worlds, same for everyone wearing red, white, and blue.

Was just thinking about this, W!! I've had the pleasure of meeting many from here and Scout, AND THEY'RE ALL GOOD FOLK, EVERY ONE. Honestly, when you look for good in people, that's all you'll see. When you focus on the "not-so-good", that's all you'll see...simple really.

Back to the subject...I'll never understand loving or hating any wrestler. My focus is on the behavior, and yes, some of Gilman's (behavior) has been boorish in the past, but not his wrestling. And even the boorish behavior isn't all on him, as his coaches could have reigned him in some, and the referees didn't do him any favors either...so the BEHAVIOR continued. I saw petulance, arrogance, bravado, and more. I also saw competitive, hard-nosed, never-say-die wrestling...which, as a wrestling fan, was exciting to me. As far as off the mat...if Zain and he can become friends, he's alright by me. As an American, he has my unconditional support at the Senior Worlds, same for everyone wearing red, white, and blue.
Exactly my thoughts on Gilman. One must separate wrestling from the antics, and understand that he will mature over time.

I believe he beat 4 national champions in one tournament to win the title thats notable

Reactions: Dogwelder
Flo has bonus footage up now. Brands gets on camera and say "No F*n here" then does the robot across the mat. Pretty halarious !!!

ADVERTISEMENT