ADVERTISEMENT

Gilman - Love Him or Hate Him

psu_flip

Jun 30, 2006
Just killed some time at work watching Flo's production. Good production. They let you see a side of these wrestlers that we never get to see. I wasn't a fan of Gilman during the NCAA season due to some of his antics and my PSU allegiance, but he won me over after running the gauntlet at World Team trials beating Cruz, Graff, Megaludis, Tomasello and Ramos. You'd think that the fact that him and Zain became friends means he's a decent guy off the mat. I like how Dennis calls him a hippie and a geek....

I love him. How could anyone hate him? Hate is a strong word. Good work from Flo. Getting better guys and gals!

Reactions: Dogwelder
I love him. How could anyone hate him? Hate is a strong word. Good work from Flo. Getting better guys and gals!
I love him, too. He doesn't hide from opponents, nor microphones. I'm glad he's winning because he puts himself out there so much that if he doesn't win, people would really get on him.

Gilman's WWE antics have been disrespectful to his opponents and disrespectful to a great sport. Hate is too strong a word, but I definitely dislike him and will never root for him.

And it's not an Iowa thing at all, I was rooting hard for Cory Clark to win his title. That is an example of a classy warrior fighting through injury to attain his goal. Great kid.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Yea, I don't hate the guy, but I'm not a fan of his act. Disappointed he is representing the USA, I was hoping he would start to fade away after choking at NCAAs.

Choking u say funny how you have never it seems had a bad day or night in your great life...So do please tell me all your wonderful deeds you have done.

LOL well he didn't choke as bad as Taylor did right..

if your talking about bubba and DT, that was in the national finals as a RS freshman. Where as your guy lost in the semis as a RS SR....so the trophy case and the snarky remark tell different stories.

if your talking the WT trials....if DT choked in that match, Im not sure how you got there.

Gilman's WWE antics have been disrespectful to his opponents and disrespectful to a great sport. Hate is too strong a word, but I definitely dislike him and will never root for him.

And it's not an Iowa thing at all, I was rooting hard for Cory Clark to win his title. That is an example of a classy warrior fighting through injury to attain his goal. Great kid.

You are a Hawkeye fan, of course you love him. Haha. I always disliked his antics in the past and said some negative stuff about him. But I agree hate is a strong word, and life is just too short. And if Zain likes him, that is good enough for me.:)

Gilman earned his spot on the team with an amazing run. No antics or anything, just kicked a$$ and walked off the mat. He is our best American and I will be rooting for him.

I'll root for all the USA guys, not sure I understand the alternative...root for the Russian or Iranian wrestler at an international event? Makes no sense to me.
The alternative is clear. Not root for anyone in his weight class. Whatever happens, happens. I just cannot bring myself to cheer for a man who has disrespected a great sport time and time again.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Strongly dislike for reasons listed above. That being said, I will root for him as a representative of team USA, but that doesn't mean I like him.

And you know what, I was pretty hard on him when he went over to the Gophers side pre-match just to be an ass. But its actually funny as hell to me. Imagine sitting around in a few years drinking beer, playing poker with Gilman and he'd tell the story about him doing it. I'd laugh my ass off. It easy to throw shade at him since he's a Hawkeye, but I don't think he's all that bad.

if your talking about bubba and DT, that was in the national finals as a RS freshman. Where as your guy lost in the semis as a RS SR....so the trophy case and the snarky remark tell different stories.

if your talking the WT trials....if DT choked in that match, Im not sure how you got there.

Why do you fellows always have to be like this?
One of yours started this bs by saying Gillman chocked at nationals and I replied to him and then another smart ass come back. That is the only reason I mentioned Taylor. I do not believe in the word "choke" in sports shit just happens sometimes.
Just to mention I noticed in another thread about NS that he never practiced for 2 months after nationals..So have to believe they knew his injury was that serious and show have given up his spot to a alantie and the seeding would have different maybe make a different outcome..
So I will be done here till season comes and then maybe just come to see how much more bs can be said ..Have a great fall and dam I sure hope no PD111 if happens might have to leave all message boards. ;)

I enjoyed the episode, but I felt like they kind of rushed it. I thought a couple of the story lines within could've been expanded a little more. Instead of being a 30 minute episode maybe a 45 Minute episode or more could have covered it a little better. Again still thought it was a good production just my one critique.

Why do you fellows always have to be like this?
One of yours started this bs by saying Gillman chocked at nationals and I replied to him and then another smart ass come back. That is the only reason I mentioned Taylor. I do not believe in the word "choke" in sports shit just happens sometimes.
Just to mention I noticed in another thread about NS that he never practiced for 2 months after nationals..So have to believe they knew his injury was that serious and show have given up his spot to a alantie and the seeding would have different maybe make a different outcome..
So I will be done here till season comes and then maybe just come to see how much more bs can be said ..Have a great fall and dam I sure hope no PD111 if happens might have to leave all message boards. ;)
The reason for dragging it out was to give the kid a shot at a miracle recovery.
Simple as that. The kid earned his spot through the season and was unable to accept a prognosis of "no go".

I enjoyed the episode, but I felt like they kind of rushed it. I thought a couple of the story lines within could've been expanded a little more. Instead of being a 30 minute episode maybe a 45 Minute episode or more could have covered it a little better. Again still thought it was a good production just my one critique.
I remember when they filmed it they had like 8 hours of film to cut into 30 min. A lot of quality film will never get watched unfortunately.

Not a fan. Not an Iowa thing either. I like more Iowa guys than I dislike. Hate is way too strong a word though.

Can't stand the punk Gilman. So many of the lower weight Iowa guys have such Napolean complexes: Gilman, Ramos, the Brands, and even Metcalf, among others. The only guy in recent years who has been tolerable/likable is Daniel Dennis. And Corey Clark.

Can't stand the punk Gilman. So many of the lower weight Iowa guys have such Napolean complexes: Gilman, Ramos, the Brands, and even Metcalf, among others. The only guy in recent years who has been tolerable/likable is Daniel Dennis. And Corey Clark.
If those dudes had been Penn Staters we would have loved them. The ability to recognize "punkism" has a lot to do with singlet selection.
Is that a very entertaining young, hard nosed Scott or Josh Moore, or is that a punkish Thomas Gilman or Tony Ramos?

Wrestle hard and never quit. Man I like those wrestlers. If every now and then a testosterone filled hard nosed athlete does something a little stupid (I do not mean something that involves hurting somone) so what.
The only reason I don't do as much stupid shyt as I used to is because I am too old and generally it hurts.

The alternative is clear. Not root for anyone in his weight class. Whatever happens, happens. I just cannot bring myself to cheer for a man who has disrespected a great sport time and time again.

Agree, you don't support Russia or Iran, but you do become indifferent. Just don't care what mat he's on or when he's wrestling. Entirely too much unsportsmanlike conduct to simply hand waive away just because he represent USA.

Just to summarize, this is a guy that tried to intentionally injure an opponent, used a racial slur and continuously disrespected his opponents in dual meets. Making the World Team and having a Flo video made about him doesn't make that all go away.

Agree, you don't support Russia or Iran, but you do become indifferent. Just don't care what mat he's on or when he's wrestling. Entirely too much unsportsmanlike conduct to simply hand waive away just because he represent USA.

Just to summarize, this is a guy that tried to intentionally injure an opponent, used a racial slur and continuously disrespected his opponents in dual meets. Making the World Team and having a Flo video made about him doesn't make that all go away.
The Jap comment. The kid actually gets kudos from me on that one.
He said it. Someone explained to him how that term is inappropriate and while he had the largest wrestling community in the country rationalizing and dismissing the occurance. He stepped forward, owned it and apologized.

He said it. Someone explained to him how that term is inappropriate and while he had the largest wrestling community in the country rationalizing and dismissing the occurance. He stepped forward, owned it and apologized.
Agree. Nothing but respect for him there. It was obvious he was oblivious to it's use. Once pointed out he owned it. I don't see how anyone could be on him for that.

The Minnesota thing was childish no matter how you spin it. But nothing to hate him about. Young adults act like children at times. Then they get older and hopefully they mature. Unless you don't (obligatory PDIII reference).

EDIT - should read "PDII reference."

Except he had used the term before while acknowledging that it wasn't "PC"

Lots of kids his age don't have appropriate levels of self awareness. He seems to be maturing. Great talent. Good for him.

Reactions: dicemen99
I root for Russian and Iran because they are the most alpha of all alpha males and the alpha male is so hot right now.

And if he didn't ever attend Iowa you wouldn't give a flying phunk.

He said he didn't know if it was politically correct. Maybe you should have told him then?

ADVERTISEMENT