ADVERTISEMENT

Gil Brandt takes a shot at PSU Pro Day

joejpg-1f16f3ee01b7d4c5.jpg

Get him outta here!

I can imagine Joe saying that with a laugh, though, too.
Or, with a little frustration if he had been hearing jabs at his players all along.
Tough to tell how Brandt took it from what is in writing on Twitter. Could be they shared a laugh over it, or could be Joe was pissed and Brandt didn't like that Joe didn't take the joke well.
But, seems out of character for Joe to be pissed over such a little joke. One that he might have made himself.

Plus the numbers on the wall are the personal best measures for each player. Extremely unlikely that everyone tests out to their personal best at the combine, so you would expect the numbers on the wall to be slightly better than the combine results. If Gil wants to roll a marble down anyone's track, he should start in Blacksburg.

f310d2db57afe8d4d61b6c29c402e1fe68afb36941f4abea64ee6b4cd9a4c8ad.jpg

Wasn't there something different about the start at the combine? I seem to remember Barkley had a little trouble with it and slowed him a bit

If I recall correctly, Gil Brandt last year gave Barkley the highest rating of any running back since he began rating players. I believe it was close to a perfect score in his rating system.

Reactions: TheGLOV
As I recall, Brandt was known to be an excellent evaluator of talent. Didn’t he assemble the great Dallas teams way back ( I don’t like the Cowboys)?
Gill knows everything about all the people in the draft, except of course their name!! And has for the last 50 yrs

I think I saw Gil Brandt naked in an alley with some transvestite hookers and blood all over everything. He screamed at me to ‘get the hell out’.

What does that mean, “except for their name?”
Just what it says
Gil on the NFL channel ‘there’s a guy out at Cal Poly OT6’7” 295# runs 4.9 every time you time him, did 30 reps on the bench. Really good player for them , has good knee bend looks like a 5-6 round guy to me
Had x time in the three fine drill
He is being trained by Bentley out in Arizona
I am having a tough time remembering his name.....
Other guy on NFL ‘Gil you talking about Joe Jones???
Yeah that’s his name

So basically he's still mad at Joe for not letting him come watch the players work out before the draft. 40 years ago

OK that made me laugh. I can just hear Joe yelling at him in his high squeaky voice....."get the hell out of here". Good times. Good memories.

Yes that's how I took it. It wasn't Brandt taking a shot at PSU, it was just him telling a funny Paterno story from 40 years ago. Of course pro days are to try to help athletes get attention from NFL scouts -- why would they be anything else? Of course the track will be fast and the stopwatch even faster -- people would expect no less.

Reactions: artsandletters
Yes that's how I took it. It wasn't Brandt taking a shot at PSU, it was just him telling a funny Paterno story from 40 years ago. Of course pro days are to try to help athletes get attention from NFL scouts -- why would they be anything else? Of course the track will be fast and the stopwatch even faster -- people would expect no less.
I also thought Brandt meant the comment as humorous,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT