ADVERTISEMENT

Getting Our Rokfin Money To NLWC

Gray52

Dec 9, 2012
Can anyone please inform us what exactly we need to do in order for the NLWC to properly collect for the events they do? I’ve seen all kinds of tweets/posts about other creators stealing off some of the money meant for the NLWC. So how do we insure that doesn’t happen again?
Is it based on your subscriptions? Clicks? How you view? I’m subscribed to NLWC and Smalls. It can’t be this hard to understand, right?

Subscribe under NLWC

https://rokfin.com/NLWC?content=NEW

Can anyone please inform us what exactly we need to do in order for the NLWC to properly collect for the events they do? I’ve seen all kinds of tweets/posts about other creators stealing off some of the money meant for the NLWC. So how do we insure that doesn’t happen again?
Is it based on your subscriptions? Clicks? How you view? I’m subscribed to NLWC and Smalls. It can’t be this hard to understand, right?

If we subscribed under the NLWC for last month's matches will they continue to get the money or should we cancel it and re-up again using that link?

I'll give it a go....

1. "It can’t be this hard to understand, right?".
- Wrong. When translating mathematic algorithms back into English--especially attempting so from the outside, in reverse engineering fashion, it absolutely can be extremely difficult. Rokfin's algo explanations are out there, though, in however many different places (their RAE White Paper is one; Floreani's twitter vids are another, tho)

2. "Can anyone please inform us what exactly we need to do in order for the NLWC to properly collect for the events they do?".
- The mainest/first thing we can control is: which Rokfin Page to Subscribe (initiate our Rokfin platform membership) to when we sign up.

3. "I’ve seen all kinds of tweets/posts about other creators stealing off some of the money meant for the NLWC. So how do we insure that doesn’t happen again?"
- All of that was about trying to get ppl to choose a non-NLWC Page for a new Subscriber's Initial Platform Signup. Home Mat Advantage did this ahead of the NLWC Sept Event, but pretty quickly deleted it.
- If you have already signed up ("Subscribed"), the signup portion of the algo has already been apportioned to the Page you Signed Up via ("Subscribed")
- If you wish, you *could still: cancel your platform Subscription, and create a new one under a different Page
- Anthony Ashnault suggested this after the NLWC event, when he first appeared on Rokfin, but also subsequently deleted it. The deletions of these "stealing" attempts seem to indicate (along with Floreani specifically acknowledging Cael's expressions of beef about the practice) that the Platform founders recognize it's against the spirit of the Rising Tide Lifts All Boats aspect they market the platform on, for Creators to compete against each other for this, apparently coveted, Home Page Subscription/Signup.

4. "Is it based on your subscriptions? Clicks? How you view? I’m subscribed to NLWC and Smalls."
- Unless you currently own & pay for TWO separate Rokfin Subscriptions, you are not "Subscribed" to both NLWC AND Smalls
- "Following" is a separate feature inside the platform, likely with its own algorithmic $ apportionment tied to it, which is different than the Subscribed apportionment. How much of your $10 pie is apportioned to Subscription and how much is apportioned to Following, I don't know the answer, b/c I haven't unpacked the White Paper or Floreani videos yet.
- "Clicks" & "Views" (the same thing) of different Pages or content inside those pages undoubtedly earn some portion of the algorithmic $ distro as well, but how much, I do not know

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
I'll give it a go....

- Wrong. When translating mathematic algorithms back into English--especially attempting so from the outside, in reverse engineering fashion, it absolutely can be extremely difficult. Rokfin's algo explanations are out there, though, in however many different places (their RAE White Paper is one; Floreani's twitter vids are another, tho)

2. "Can anyone please inform us what exactly we need to do in order for the NLWC to properly collect for the events they do?".
- The mainest/first thing we can control is: which Rokfin Page to Subscribe (initiate our Rokfin platform membership) to when we sign up.

3. "I’ve seen all kinds of tweets/posts about other creators stealing off some of the money meant for the NLWC. So how do we insure that doesn’t happen again?"
- All of that was about trying to get ppl to choose a non-NLWC Page for a new Subscriber's Initial Platform Signup. Home Mat Advantage did this ahead of the NLWC Sept Event, but pretty quickly deleted it.
- If you have already signed up ("Subscribed"), the signup portion of the algo has already been apportioned to the Page you Signed Up via ("Subscribed")
- If you wish, you *could still: cancel your platform Subscription, and create a new one under a different Page
- Anthony Ashnault suggested this after the NLWC event, when he first appeared on Rokfin, but also subsequently deleted it. The deletions of these "stealing" attempts seem to indicate (along with Floreani specifically acknowledging Cael's expressions of beef about the practice) that the Platform founders recognize it's against the spirit of the Rising Tide Lifts All Boats aspect they market the platform on, for Creators to compete against each other for this, apparently coveted, Home Page Subscription/Signup.

4. "Is it based on your subscriptions? Clicks? How you view? I’m subscribed to NLWC and Smalls."
- Unless you currently own & pay for TWO separate Rokfin Subscriptions, you are not "Subscribed" to both NLWC AND Smalls
- "Following" is a separate feature inside the platform, likely with its own algorithmic $ apportionment tied to it, which is different than the Subscribed apportionment. How much of your $10 pie is apportioned to Subscription and how much is apportioned to Following, I don't know the answer, b/c I haven't unpacked the White Paper or Floreani videos yet.
- "Clicks" & "Views" (the same thing) of different Pages or content inside those pages undoubtedly earn some portion of the algorithmic $ distro as well, but how much, I do not know
Tony Hager of IaWrestle was one of the main weasels. Wholly unsurprising

Tony Hager of IaWrestle was one of the main weasels. Wholly unsurprising

I know you & I are trending along different paths when it comes to most things Iowa, but do you have any historical beef with Hager beyond his general Iowaness?

I'm also a big fan of both Jacob Hewgley of Home Mat Advantage and Ashnault, both of whom I'd seen employing similar versions of what is now being understood to have been 'thieving' attempts. But I attribute that to the Creators being like us the Subcribers/Consumers, in there being a general lack of understanding how Rokfin's algo works & behaves.

Lastly, and you may appreciate this part better than most: I think this whole exercise of unpacking & trying to decipher how a computer algorithm works and what its behavior means for the humans that engage with it is an exercise we humans will perform over & over again in the coming years.

I know you & I are trending along different paths when it comes to most things Iowa, but do you have any historical beef with Hager beyond his general Iowaness?

I'm also a big fan of both Jacob Hewgley of Home Mat Advantage and Ashnault, both of whom I'd seen employing similar versions of what is now being understood to have been 'thieving' attempts. But I attribute that to the Creators being like us the Subcribers/Consumers, in there being a general lack of understanding how Rokfin's algo works & behaves.

Lastly, and you may appreciate this part better than most: I think this whole exercise of unpacking & trying to decipher how a computer algorithm works and what its behavior means for the humans that engage with it is an exercise we humans will perform over & over again in the coming years.
It’s just the captive media concept I see playing out in Iowa where the press just seems to all row the oars for the home team. The worst example, though, is Ohio where everyone with a printing press so to speak is in the bag for the Buckeyes.

Then you compare it to the PA and East Coast press which just seems not to be neutral but rather attacks everything and everyone. It would be nice if we had more than a few dyed in the wool homers. Instead we get wannabe Buckeyes like David Jones.

TL DR - I’m being a baby. But some of the thieves knew exactly what they were doing as they spelled it out in tweets

It’s just the captive media concept I see playing out in Iowa where the press just seems to all row the oars for the home team. The worst example, though, is Ohio where everyone with a printing press so to speak is in the bag for the Buckeyes.

Then you compare it to the PA and East Coast press which just seems not to be neutral but rather attacks everything and everyone. It would be nice if we had more than a few dyed in the wool homers. Instead we get wannabe Buckeyes like David Jones.

TL DR - I’m being a baby. But some of the thieves knew exactly what they were doing as they spelled it out in tweets

Haha, I feel ya. Thanks for the candor.

That neutrality vs homer issue is one close to my heart, and a tough row to hoe as it's a pretty zig zaggy line.

This is soooo true. DJ is the worst but even the local media in State College seem to be cheering against PSU successfully getting through a semester and initiating sports. Onward State practically celebrates COVId numbers, Ben Jones expressed fear of seeing “at least a dozen extra students in town” over the summer and just today posted a picture of a hazmat suit in response to being issued press creds for Beaver stadium, etc.

Why don’t PSU beat writers and local media want PSU to be successful? Even the Collegian seems more interested in being “woke” then being balanced ... I lived in Ann Arbor and you couldn’t find a writer who wasn’t in the bag for UM.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
It's really not that hard (not trying to be a wise guy).

the vast majority of your money goes to the creator you signed up for. the rest of your money goes to creators whose content you consume the most.

imo you probably want to do 1 of 2 things - make sure you're signed up under who you want to support OR make sure you're signed up under who you think earns your money based on how much you like their content.

there's also a 3rd option where you do both:

or

i kid, kid

Willie may or may not have that email address tied to his personal pay pal 😂😂😂

the vast majority of your money goes to the creator you signed up for. the rest of your money goes to creators whose content you consume the most.

imo you probably want to do 1 of 2 things - make sure you're signed up under who you want to support OR make sure you're signed up under who you think earns your money based on how much you like their content.

or

i kid, kid

or

i kid, kid
This is all the proof Hoyhawk and Don Hawkeye need!!!

I'll give it a go....

I think Martin said he’d look into it, but did he actually say it was “stealing” or anything like that? (I can’t remember)

I mean that’s basically the whole business model of Rokfin from a consumer perspective — “subscribe to one person but get access to everything!” so I don’t really see the problem. Those other people still may have gotten people to sign up for Rokfin who otherwise wouldn’t have.

Martin especially should have known this would happen, so if he thought it was a problem it should have been addressed prior to the last event.

Regardless, I don’t think it’s fair to compare Hewgley’s and Hager’s posts. Hewgley (not that it matters but I believe he was promoting his new ACC-focused “Mat Geeks” site, not HMA) wrote a detailed post basically explaining exactly how it worked, and even put a comment saying something like “if you want your money to go to NLWC, sign up under them.” Hager/IAWrestle basically just tweeted out “WATCH THE NLWC EVENT HERE” with a link to subscribe under IAWrestle. So yeah, I’d admit that Hager specifically was being sneaky.

Better play it safe. Get him a new burner phone too.

screen-shot-2018-08-28-at-09.40.21-2.jpg

Better-Call-Saul-Season-4-Episode-5-Sliding-Jimmy.jpg

Reactions: danoftw and Ski
ADVERTISEMENT