ADVERTISEMENT

General PSU fan awareness of the wrestling dynasty

PSUbluTX

Feb 7, 2018
I'm curious about the general awareness level of PSU alumni/fans as it relates to our wrestling dominance during the Cael Imperial Dynasty (C.I.D.). I'm sure many casual PSU sports fans don't closely follow niche sports unless they have a personal connection, but I assume that most at least have a general awareness of PSU's wrestling preeminence.

So, I was a little surprised at an interaction I had today with some Nittany Lion faithful while waiting to board a plane at the Orlando airport. I was checking BWI on my phone for any late breaking recruiting news when I noticed that an older gentleman sitting across from me with his wife was wearing a PSU shirt. He too was reading something on his phone and I thought, what are the odds that he is one of my unknown board-mates also looking at BWI. No such luck, unfortunately.

But I commented on his shirt and gave him a "we are." He and his wife both promptly gave the appropriate response. I asked if they follow Penn State wrestling. They said, "not really." I said, "well, I'm sure you at least know who Cael Sanderson is and that we have the top wrestling program in the country." They reluctantly confessed that they did not. I explained that Penn State wrestling is arguably the greatest college sports dynasty of the last decade, gave them a 30 second historical synopsis of the C.I.D., and encouraged them to look into it and enjoy one more reason to be proud of their PSU fandom.

Just one anecdotal example, but made me wonder how effectively the University is keeping alumni aware of the magic happening within the walls of the Lorenzo Wrestling Complex.

I'm curious about the general awareness level of PSU alumni/fans as it relates to our wrestling dominance during the Cael Imperial Dynasty (C.I.D.). I'm sure many casual PSU sports fans don't closely follow niche sports unless they have a personal connection, but I assume that most at least have a general awareness of PSU's wrestling preeminence.

So, I was a little surprised at an interaction I had today with some Nittany Lion faithful while waiting to board a plane at the Orlando airport. I was checking BWI on my phone for any late breaking recruiting news when I noticed that an older gentleman sitting across from me with his wife was wearing a PSU shirt. He too was reading something on his phone and I thought, what are the odds that he is one of my unknown board-mates also looking at BWI. No such luck, unfortunately.

But I commented on his shirt and gave him a "we are." He and his wife both promptly gave the appropriate response. I asked if they follow Penn State wrestling. They said, "not really." I said, "well, I'm sure you at least know who Cael Sanderson is and that we have the top wrestling program in the country." They reluctantly confessed that they did not. I explained that Penn State wrestling is arguably the greatest college sports dynasty of the last decade, gave them a 30 second historical synopsis of the C.I.D., and encouraged them to look into it and enjoy one more reason to be proud of their PSU fandom.

Just one anecdotal example, but made me wonder how effectively the University is keeping alumni aware of the magic happening within the walls of the Lorenzo Wrestling Complex.
Doubt you’d need to make anyone aware if they truly cared one ounce in the year of 2022, info is everywhere. U are choosing to ignore if unaware. Can’t make people care about our sport

I can still remember right after Cael was hired. I mean this was literally the day after he was hired at PSU...there were 4 or 5 posts, not just on the penn state forums, but on 4 or 5 other wrestling message boards, about how there was this now-famous discussion among some other coaches and higher ups that was overheard...the gist of the conversation was that these coaches were VERY upset and VERY concerned about "that sleeping giant in the middle of Pennsylvania that everyone was talking about for decades has finally not only been woken up, but now has a giant fire roaring, and this sport is about to be overtaken by a program that everyone in the know, knew, if that school ever hired the right coach, would take over the sport for a very, very long time..."

Penn State is hardly shy about self-promotion.

And B10 fills in the gaps.

Same fans you met probably saw wrestlers honored at Beaver Stadium. With 30+ varsity sports, not everything resonates with every fan.

Wrestling is an Olympic sport with no direct professional league to move to after college. Not surprised that the PSU football/basketball crowd doesn't necessarily know much about the dynasty that's been created. I remember when PSU fencing won 8 of 11 NCAA championships (with 3 runner ups) during the 90s/early 00s and not sure how many football/basketball fans were aware of that run either. Or wrestling fans for that matter.

Last summer I was sitting in a restaurant with my son and as we were leaving an older couple(mid 60s-70 years old) with penn state shirts stopped us as we walked by their booth. My son had a David Taylor shirt on, and they asked if we followed PSU wrestling! It was really cool as we chatted with them for like 10-15 minutes. . We talked about Cael and some former great wrestlers under him and just how awesome it is to watch Penn State wrestle. They were super friendly and also asked my boy if he wrestled. Then they asked him a bunch of questions about his wrestling, and then said they will keep an eye out for his name. Haha.

Another time I was by myself eating lunch at a pizza shop, no where near PSU. It was a busy time and this group of like 4-5 guys were talking wrestling loudly. This area is not a wrestling hot bed by any means. Anyway these guys are talking about Spencer Lee and basically salivating over the fact what he is going to do in college. They were hoping he was going to go to PSU and get coached by Cael Sanderson. So many times i wanted to chime in and agree with them as I shared the same thoughts as them. Unfortunately he ended up committing to Iowa a short time after that. But I was blown away these guys with suits on were talking about Spencer Lee and Cael. Just to be talking about wrestling was crazy to me.

well if they do not know then they are not fans!!

Reactions: bourbon n blues

I worked with a bunch of PhD types and have remained friends for 30+ years. They have many interests, but, sports ain’t one of em’. When I use baseball, football, or basketball “sayings”, they look up at the lights like IMar after locking up with Cenzo. When they get the alumni magazine or visit the internet, …. they simply ignore the sports stuff. They remain blissfully unaware of wrestling except for a brief thought of Hulk Hogan.

I worked with a bunch of PhD types and have remained friends for 30+ years. They have many interests, but, sports ain’t one of em’. When I use baseball, football, or basketball “sayings”, they look up at the lights like IMar after locking up with Cenzo. When they get the alumni magazine or visit the internet, …. they simply ignore the sports stuff. They remain blissfully unaware of wrestling except for a brief thought of Hulk Hogan.
giphy.gif

Two anecdotes.

1. A few years ago I was on a business trip and flew on Delta airlines where we stopped at their main hub in Atlanta. I was wearing a Penn State shirt and while walking through the terminal, I noticed a senior Delta pilot looking at me pretty closely. Unfortunately, I was in a rush to make my connecting flight or I would have stopped to talk for a while. I’m pretty sure the pilot was David Taylor Sr.

2. My wife and I have been attending a great church in Yuma AZ, and I spoke to one of the pastors after I realized he was from PA. I told him I was from Harrisburg and went to Penn State. He immediately asked me if I knew about Penn State’s wrestling team and my jaw just dropped. We spent the next half hour talking about wrestling and have been trading emails and text messages ever since.

Wrestling is a niche sport like volleyball and fencing. Outside of the fanbase for each of those sports, not many people are going to casually follow them. To the average Penn Stater Russ Digs Roseberry carries no more meaning than Keeney Beany Chocolate Chip.

Last edited:
The progression of David Taylor under Cael was nearly impossible...I remember a YouTube clip posted by Larry Fall, who was boasting how the hype around Taylor wasn't real, how Cyler Sanderson stuck him 7-2 in a match that took place like the day after Taylor enrolled at Penn State.

3 months later Taylor was beating Cyler regularly in the room.

Dynasty? TV show from the 80s. The one with Heather Locklear. Of course I know about that. Duh!!!

Wrestling is a niche sport like volleyball and fencing. Outside of the fanbase for each of those sports, not many people are going to casually follow them. To the average Penn Stater Russ Digs Roseberry carries no more meaning than Keeney Beany Chocolate Chip.
Volleyball might be a niche sport too, but I found it particularly exciting back in the 80s when the US mens team was the best in the world. On top of that, some of the team members like Craig Buck and Karch Kiraly lived in the Pacific Beach area in San Diego and I would see them around a lot at parties and other social occasions. Good times and memories!

I can still remember right after Cael was hired. I mean this was literally the day after he was hired at PSU...there were 4 or 5 posts, not just on the penn state forums, but on 4 or 5 other wrestling message boards, about how there was this now-famous discussion among some other coaches and higher ups that was overheard...the gist of the conversation was that these coaches were VERY upset and VERY concerned about "that sleeping giant in the middle of Pennsylvania that everyone was talking about for decades has finally not only been woken up, but now has a giant fire roaring, and this sport is about to be overtaken by a program that everyone in the know, knew, if that school ever hired the right coach, would take over the sport for a very, very long time..."

Turns out these coaches were right, and they were right to be upset and concerned 😁. I’d say their fears have all been realized.

Turns out these coaches were right, and they were right to be upset and concerned 😁. I’d say their fears have all been realized.
Basically, yep. This was one of those times that the worst fears actually came true. I'm not even sure how to summon up a parallel? What if Wayne Gretzky came to Minnesota or the upper peninsula of Michigan to coach hockey?

Volleyball might be a niche sport too, but I found it particularly exciting back in the 80s when the US mens team was the best in the world. On top of that, some of the team members like Craig Buck and Karch Kiraly lived in the Pacific Beach area in San Diego and I would see them around a lot at parties and other social occasions. Good times and memories!
Karch Kiraly is one of the best athletes I’ve ever seen. An absolutely incredible volleyball player. Watching greatness in any sport is such a treat. I’m a huge hockey fan and especially a Colorado Avalanche fan and they play the Edmonton Oilers in the conference finals starting this week. Getting to watch Connor McDavid, Leon Draisital, Nathan Mackinnon, and Cale Makar all on the ice together for multiple games is going to be an incredible experience.

I didn't know Karch Kiraly came to Penn St. Everywhere I look it says he went to UCLA. The only place I see it states he went to PSU is on Wikipedia of Penn St mens volleyball history. Did he switch after he graduated? Anyone know the story?

I didn't know Karch Kiraly came to Penn St. Everywhere I look it says he went to UCLA. The only place I see it states he went to PSU is on Wikipedia of Penn St mens volleyball history. Did he switch after he graduated? Anyone know the story?
????????????????????

UCLA

I’ve found Penn State fans that aren’t wrestling fans talk and act the same way I do about Penn State Women’s Volleyball. I’m proud of it and I’m aware it’s there and I may watch the Final 4 if they make it.

Definitely only UCLA, but I looked to see how that rumor got started and came across this story.

sUohCd5.jpg

From "Karch Kiraly: A Tribute to Excellence," by Arthur R. Couvillon.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Most people I know that follow penn state know we do well at wrestling but they don’t really care. They’re happy, but wrestling is pretty much a niche sport with a limited fan base .
The guys in the office joke with me about me taking that Friday off every March , even though they’re fans of penn state in general.

Most people I know that follow penn state know we do well at wrestling but they don’t really care. They’re happy, but wrestling is pretty much a niche sport with a limited fan base .
The guys in the office joke with me about me taking that Friday off every March , even though they’re fans of penn state in general.
I’m proud to be that .0001% or so that watch the wrestling championships religiously and less than about 20 minutes of the NCAA basketball tournament

Wrestling in Pennsylvania is not a niche sport. Wrestling in Pennsylvania is a major sport.

i am not a wrestling fan per se, however, i always follow PSU wrestling and am particularly amazed at what Cael has done. My daughter dates a former Ohio St wrestler, and he tells me how OSU wrestling hates PSU. I said that's because we drag yo ass all over the mat.

Wrestling in Pennsylvania is not a niche sport. Wrestling in Pennsylvania is a major sport.
Outside of RecHall, it is not a major sport at the college level and it is most definitely not a major sport to most Penn State fans, students, and alumni.

i am not a wrestling fan per se, however, i always follow PSU wrestling and am particularly amazed at what Cael has done. My daughter dates a former Ohio St wrestler, and he tells me how OSU wrestling hates PSU. I said that's because we drag yo ass all over the mat.
Jealousy is an ugly sin.

ADVERTISEMENT