Gavin Newsom won’t save the Democrats

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
No one can save these people. I mean, now they are shutting down queer bars....

https://unherd.com/2022/07/gavin-newsom-wont-save-the-democrats/

Burdened with a decomposing President and a clearly overmatched Vice President, the Democrats are on the hunt for a saviour. For many in the party, Gavin Newsom, the 54-year-old perfectly coiffed Governor of California, seems like the perfect solution. No doubt, given his recent trolling of Florida’s Republican frontrunner Ron DeSantis, he feels the same.

But Newsom’s ascendency faces some severe challenges. First, to get nominated, he must not only depose Biden, but also see off Vice President Kamala Harris. And she has three things Newsom lacks: she’s a woman, she’s black, and she has Asian Indian ancestry. Newsom, on the other hand, is white, was born into a well-connected San Francisco family, and is married to a film-maker and scion of a very wealthy Bay Area family

Reactions: bison13 and psu skp

Vic Vaselino

Nov 14, 2009
No one can save these people. I mean, now they are shutting down queer bars....

https://unherd.com/2022/07/gavin-newsom-wont-save-the-democrats/

Burdened with a decomposing President and a clearly overmatched Vice President, the Democrats are on the hunt for a saviour. For many in the party, Gavin Newsom, the 54-year-old perfectly coiffed Governor of California, seems like the perfect solution. No doubt, given his recent trolling of Florida’s Republican frontrunner Ron DeSantis, he feels the same.

But Newsom’s ascendency faces some severe challenges. First, to get nominated, he must not only depose Biden, but also see off Vice President Kamala Harris. And she has three things Newsom lacks: she’s a woman, she’s black, and she has Asian Indian ancestry. Newsom, on the other hand, is white, was born into a well-connected San Francisco family, and is married to a film-maker and scion of a very wealthy Bay Area family.
Then I guess it's a good thing that we don't need a savior.

Reactions: maypole

michnittlion

Sep 3, 2003
I live in California --- the article talks about this but it needs to be emphasized: Newsom isn't particularly popular even in his own state. If anything, he's more popular in the Northeast Corridor versus the Golden State itself.

I just don't see how a person like that can win a national Presidential election. Look at the last 2 Governors to become President - Bill Clinton and George W Bush both were very popular at home. They had that home base and then built to a national base from there.

Newsom doesn't have that dynamic. He was remarkably close to getting recalled just a year ago --- if the leading Republican candidate wasn't a worst-case bomb-thrower like Larry Elder, it may have happened.

DandyDonII

Oct 16, 2002
I live in California --- the article talks about this but it needs to be emphasized: Newsom isn't particularly popular even in his own state. If anything, he's more popular in the Northeast Corridor versus the Golden State itself.

I just don't see how a person like that can win a national Presidential election. Look at the last 2 Governors to become President - Bill Clinton and George W Bush both were very popular at home. They had that home base and then built to a national base from there.

Newsom doesn't have that dynamic. He was remarkably close to getting recalled just a year ago --- if the leading Republican candidate wasn't a worst-case bomb-thrower like Larry Elder, it may have happened.
agreed, he isn't very popular in a one party state where there is virtually no opposition......

psu skp

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2016
50 yard line after dark
The fascinating thing is that we live during a time in which one of our two political parties DOESN'T CARE about "popularity" among voters. They should but they don't.

Hillary wasn't particularly popular but the Democrat party was determined to run her no matter what. She faced zero opposition in the 2016 primary (Bernie doesn't count since he was never going to be put at the top of the ticket)... and then she lost in the general election.

Joe Biden wasn't anybody's choice during the 2020 DNC primary... finishing around 5th in Iowa and New Hampshire before *poof* the miracle of Dominion voting machines made him suddenly unstoppable a few weeks later and all his opponents were instructed to drop out. Biden is currently busy going down in history as the least popular POTUS who ever lived. Kamala isn't much more popular... especially with Black and Hispanic voters.

And now Democrats are going to try to force Gavin Newsom down our throats. This is what happens when half of our political establishment exist in an echo-chamber. But, all four walls of their echo-chamber are about to come crashing down around them.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
If you look at his picture in the article, he looks like a smarmy phuck. My guess is that his appearance suits him just fine.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

Latest posts