ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State vs. Minnesota

Huge game. Win and they coiled end up 10-2, even 11-1 if they pull off an upset next week.

Lose and lose next week and they may fold the rest of the season. 7-5 or 8-4.

Could be a major turning point for the program and for Franklin.
The major turning point for the program and for Franklin was last week. Blew that in a big way. This one will not have major impact unless it is a PSU loss.

Reactions: Coultr77
Huge game. Win and they could end up 10-2, even 11-1 if they pull off an upset next week.

Lose and lose next week and they may fold the rest of the season. 7-5 or 8-4.

Could be a major turning point for the program and for Franklin.
Agree that it's a huge game but no way do I see 11-1. PSU's WRs struggle to get deep and the OL struggles to create running room between the tackles. Most importantly, this is one of the weakest LB groups in PSU history.

10-2 seems like best case but even Maryland will be a tough test.

The major turning point for the program and for Franklin was last week. Blew that in a big way. This one will not have major impact unless it is a PSU loss.
No this is a big game win or lose and does have an impact if we win. We win and we still have a good chance at a NY6 bowl. A key measuring stick for a program and remember in the expanded playoff we would still be in contention even with an O$U loss next week (as long as not a bad beatdown) for a playoff berth. Also important to win in front of prospective recruits. If we have an attitude like you suggest and the whole season hinged on last week then yeah we will mentally be checked out and probably lose.

No this is a big game win or lose and does have an impact if we win. We win and we still have a good chance at a NY6 bowl. A key measuring stick for a program and remember in the expanded playoff we would still be in contention even with an O$U loss next week (as long as not a bad beatdown) for a playoff berth. Also important to win in front of prospective recruits. If we have an attitude like you suggest and the whole season hinged on last week then yeah we will mentally be checked out and probably lose.
Didn't say it was not a big game. It is not that big if it is a win because we have better talent, don't we? This is one of those that Franklin is supposed to win, right? Only way that game is big is if it is a PSU loss. It is a game to determine who is 3rd/4th/5th in the BIG.

It does not even compare to last weeks game. Prime opportunity to make a historic statement for the team and the program. Made a hell of a statement alright. If you are lucky you get one chance like that a year, some years you don't even get one.

Didn't say it was not a big game. It is not that big if it is a win because we have better talent, don't we? This is one of those that Franklin is supposed to win, right? Only way that game is big is if it is a PSU loss. It is a game to determine who is 3rd/4th/5th in the BIG.

It does not even compare to last weeks game. Prime opportunity to make a historic statement for the team and the program. Made a hell of a statement alright. If you are lucky you get one chance like that a year, some years you don't even get one.
You still have to show up. You make it sound like we should beat every team not named scUM or Ohiya by 3 TDs easily. That is not the college football landscape. This is not the B10 of 1975 where two teams stockpiled all the talent.

With that said, yes we should win but it is no cakewalk. Even the untouchable scUM was in tough battles with Maryland and Indiana. And just because we are supposed to win does not make it not a big win. Yeah, beating Ohio is not a big win but beating a solid Minny team is.

With fans like you I wonder why you watch any more? The whole season is lost. We lost our critical game, season kind of shot. Who cares if we beat Minny we are supposed to do that so need to watch.

I don't think that's true if they turn around and win all the rest except OSU (or somehow win that one)

IF he goes 10-2, last week will not have been a major turning point for the program
A win in AA last week would have been a historic victory even if he lost all remaining games. It was an opportunity to demonstrate the ability to beat an equally(or was it much better) talented opponent, something he has seriously struggled with.

A 10-2 record at seasons end will not erase that performance, that stink will be there for quite some time. Perhaps 11-1 might make it stink a bit less if it yields a CFP appearance but I could see that UM game keeping us at #5 or below if it plays out that way.

Every game is important. Every win is important in that you won an upset victory or avoided an upset loss. And upset losses happen all the time.

This game is a primetime, national game against a solid BigTen opponent with a whiteout atmosphere and lots of recruits present.

A win in AA last week would have been a historic victory even if he lost all remaining games. It was an opportunity to demonstrate the ability to beat an equally(or was it much better) talented opponent, something he has seriously struggled with.

A 10-2 record at seasons end will not erase that performance, that stink will be there for quite some time. Perhaps 11-1 might make it stink a bit less if it yields a CFP appearance but I could see that UM game keeping us at #5 or below if it plays out that way.
With that logic any loss lingers and dampens the whole season. What if we beat scUM then lose to Minny, that is better? Need to move on. Alot to play for.

In your world just forfeit every other game, useless to play we blew it and pack it in and mourn because scUM dominated us. We will never be able to match them, we are doomed. We will never recover, we are terrible and Franklin will never ever win a big game ever. We have proven we can never ever ever ever ever beat scUM. We are woefully inferior to them and everything is in utter disarray with an epic collapse of the program. We should actually give up football.

I don't think that's true if they turn around and win all the rest except OSU (or somehow win that one)

IF he goes 10-2, last week will not have been a major turning point for the program
So, yeah, I guess I agree. Going 10-2 just solidifies we're a mid-tier program unable to beat (or maybe even compete with) the teams that are nationally relevant.

PSU the institution is never going to look at it that way. They will just see 10-2 and look at attendance, and say ok nothing is wrong.
That's speaks to a larger problem though I don't disagree with you
I still think people buying tickets to watch us play teams like Ohio and directional Michigan are a huge problem

Reactions: manilion
I have had a problem with the scheduling since the early 2000s. Back in the 90s it was very different in terms of the early schedule. But I think the mega-B1G will mostly end the absurdity

I don't know if I agree that it is a larger problem that PSU is satisfied with a 10-2 season. I think schools who fire coaches at 10-2 look like clowns, and sometimes it backfires spectacularly.

But let's see Franklin actually get to 10-2 this season before complaining about it. I have my doubts right now
It could backfire but taking a risk is what made Georgia Georgia
We're not Nebraska

Last edited:
Bowls don't really matter any longer. Best players opt out and it will be a lot more this year choosing to forgo a meaningless game.

With that logic any loss lingers and dampens the whole season. What if we beat scUM then lose to Minny, that is better? Need to move on. Alot to play for.

In your world just forfeit every other game, useless to play we blew it and pack it in and mourn because scUM dominated us. We will never be able to match them, we are doomed. We will never recover, we are terrible and Franklin will never ever win a big game ever. We have proven we can never ever ever ever ever beat scUM. We are woefully inferior to them and everything is in utter disarray with an epic collapse of the program. We should actually give up football.
Never said most of the crap that you are spouting on about. I didn't say it was not a big game. Just don't try to sell me on beating a 4-2 Minn at home as a great season-defining win. Those are the types of games Franklin should win. When that type of game becomes "signature" does not inspire confidence in the coach or program.

Reactions: LandoComando
Never said most of the crap that you are spouting on about. I didn't say it was not a big game. Just don't try to sell me on beating a 4-2 Minn at home as a great season-defining win. Those are the types of games Franklin should win. When that type of game becomes "signature" does not inspire confidence in the coach or program.
You're right--don't let him convince you otherwise.
It's just absurd that people have such low expectations

The reality is that Penn State is contract-locked and has already lost one game this year. So if someone is saying that 10-2 will be good, and James F. will be back in 2023, that is just an honest assessment of where things are right now. PSU cannot go in a time machine and replay Michigan last week.

If Franklin somehow did get fired, who do you think could take PSU to the next level quickly?
No one will take PSU to the next level quickly, if at all. PSU hires ambassadors, not coaches. That seems to satisfy a lot of the fan base, it is their #1 priority.

The reality is that Penn State is contract-locked and has already lost one game this year. So if someone is saying that 10-2 will be good, and James F. will be back in 2023, that is just an honest assessment of where things are right now. PSU cannot go in a time machine and replay Michigan last week.

If Franklin somehow did get fired, who do you think could take PSU to the next level quickly?
We can absolutely fire him despite the buyout.
The fan base continuing the support the head coach over mediocre (or worse) seasons is our biggest issue other than inept leaders
Who could be that guy? Lots of guys COULD be. Franklin hasn't set the bar high

So the game doesn't really matter? It is an unimportant game? Do you care? The only games that matter are O$U and scUM, great go back to being miserable.

yeah but who would you pick? One thing I will say about Franklin is he is not bad at recruiting.

I can think of lots of guys who would come in here and make it worse. You can't just hire anyone. We need to be looking for someone with the potential to take this from where it is to top-10 or top-5.

The prior regime put PSU in a horrible position (with a hugely expensive buyout), and then left. That is not a good thing to do and they did the program a huge disservice. But, the reality is that the buyout is so huge that PSU would simply be throwing tens of millions of dollars down the drain if they made a change. The best strategy is to hire top assistants, and somehow try to force Franklin to delegate to them. That is a lot less expensive than a wholesale replacement

But Franklin would have to make the right decisions on assistants and I have zero faith in that happening. And while we say he can recruit does it matter if you can't develop those players

I mean, I'd try to get Urban Meyer. I'm not going to pretend I care about his past.

Reactions: 84Lion
He is such a total lowlife that we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I'm not really on board with Franklin or his massive contract, but seriously..
Lowlife or not--great coach
I'm accepting college football isn't what it was in the 1980s and Paterno loved him

but there are lots of great coaches who are not....

so that's an easy one. Paterno also made plenty of weird and flat-out awful personnel moves, so it's not like his judgment was so great at the end.
That's fair. There's tons of guys I'd consider but I think Urban's the lock if the goal is to win. He'd dominate recruiting in PA, MD, NJ, VA, NC etc.

Reactions: indynittany
If you had a choice between Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer, for example, you would obviously take Swinney I think.

I think Urban is now too toxic to land anywhere
Yeah, I'd take Swinney but I think Urban's more realistic. The point is--that should be the type of coach we target. Just like USC went after Lincoln Riley and LSU went after Brian Kelly. Go big.

So the game doesn't really matter? It is an unimportant game? Do you care? The only games that matter are O$U and scUM, great go back to being miserable.
It ain't the game of the century that you guys want to build it into. A 4-2 Minnesota that a lot of people here think is a joke. Not going to be any great accolades if PSU wins, only thing that would make it significant would be a PSU loss.

Based on the lack of respect you demonstrate for ANY program, none are worthy of even being on the same field as PSU. O$U? scUM? Worthless programs with idiot coaches. We should win by just showing up. WE ARE! We do things right! Unrivaled!

What is the cute name for Minnesota trending in the middle school halls? You seem to be on the pulse of that and I want to be sure to use it properly.

Reactions: BuckeyeAlumnus
Yeah, I'd take Swinney but I think Urban's more realistic. The point is--that should be the type of coach we target. Just like USC went after Lincoln Riley and LSU went after Brian Kelly. Go big.
Either would be type of coach needed, that is why PSU would never consider them. I would love them to can Franklin for Urban just to see the Paterno fans heads explode. Particular when he started winning.

I think Urban is now too toxic to land anywhere
His track record of behavior will clearly turn many people off.

I think there’d be selective outrage, (especially by certain media members who had no issue with him while at OSU). If PSU hired him there would be all kinds of outrage. If Nebraska hired him it would be pretty muted IMO.

It ain't the game of the century that you guys want to build it into. A 4-2 Minnesota that a lot of people here think is a joke. Not going to be any great accolades if PSU wins, only thing that would make it significant would be a PSU loss.

Based on the lack of respect you demonstrate for ANY program, none are worthy of even being on the same field as PSU. O$U? scUM? Worthless programs with idiot coaches. We should win by just showing up. WE ARE! We do things right! Unrivaled!

What is the cute name for Minnesota trending in the middle school halls? You seem to be on the pulse of that and I want to be sure to use it properly.
Well it is a big game then if we lose. So what is it? I guess inconsequential and worthless if we win and HUGE if we lose. Particularly if we lose you can really be miserable then. Got it. Yes every other team is worthless except PSU with all idiot coaches. That is exactly what I said. Whaaat? Just go to bed and wake up next year for our game against Michigan. There are you happy I used their proper name and gave them proper respect.

Well it is a big game then if we lose. So what is it? I guess inconsequential and worthless if we win and HUGE if we lose. Particularly if we lose you can really be miserable then. Got it. Yes every other team is worthless except PSU with all idiot coaches. That is exactly what I said. Whaaat? Just go to bed and wake up next year for our game against Michigan. There are you happy I used their proper name and gave them proper respect.
But isn't this a game we're expected to win and win big especially if Morgan doesn't play. I don't understand this pretending that beating Minnesota is something to be valued. They're an average at best team and if they don't have Morgan it's like beating a MAC team (did you see Kaliakmanis last week?) which isn't impressive.

There's 2 "big games" a year unless we schedule an elite non-conference opponent. The overall success of our seasons comes down to those games. Same as it does for Michigan and Ohio State. And then we have to take care of business in the other 10.
10-2 with the best win being Purdue or Minnesota isn't impressive and we all know it.

Reactions: manilion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT