ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State Football opens season vs. Purdue

I think he definitely plays better with a fast tempo. Gives him less time to think and just play. I remember being excited about Clifford and Yurcich at the beginning of the Iowa game when they were playing fast and precise, but really haven't seen that speed since.

Never a doubt, baby, never a doubt!

Haha! Seriously, I'm speechless...breathless...just...less in general. A lot more than a game was at stake there. What a fantastic way to start the season!

Great final drive, but honestly, Clifford hurt them just as much helped them. Cliff has to improve his accuracy or we're going to have trouble beating good teams. I don't know it's his release point or whether he just gets to amped up, but he has a bad tendency to throw high even when receivers are running wide open.

Sorry to all the f’n whiners who wanted us to lose so bad. Spin it any way you want, but we won and our young guys looked pretty damn good. Keep your Monday morning coaching ideas flowing, but try and hide your disappointment.

Great final drive, but honestly, Clifford hurt them just as much helped them. Cliff has to improve his accuracy or we're going to have trouble beating good teams. I don't know it's his release point or whether he just gets to amped up, but he has a bad tendency to throw high even when receivers are running wide open.
Yep….Clifford makes mistakes he shouldn’t be making in year 6, but the young guys looked good and there’s definitely stuff to build on.

Didn't deserve to win that one. Tried to give it away. Changed the game plan and somehow got the W. Lots of mental mistakes, they made it tough on themselves.

Where did that pressure on the Purdue qb come from at the end of the game? Seems that we wore them down and a few guys decided to be difference makers.
Great point…definitely came when we needed it.

It's so clear what he's doing wrong that I'm dumbfounded he hasn't fixed it. That really ugly throw was the result of throwing off his back foot and trying to power it in there using nothing but pure arm strength which unless your last name is Rodgers or Mahomes is never going to work.

Reactions: psu00 and LMTLION
Well, a win on the road and meaningful minutes for the talented backup qb. If Allar gets the call in a big game at least we know he won’t shit his pants. Unfortunately our run game is nowhere to be found. Just putrid.

Weird thing is, once we ran the ball a few times on the last drive, with just a little success, it opened up the passing game. Clifford is always throwing into tight windows because we either don't threaten the run, or we abandon all together(like during the penultimate drive). Kaytron and Singleton need to be major parts of this offense in order for the passing game to work, its just reality.

Good job Jimmy and crew. You barely beat a middle of the road western conference team.
They pulled out an improbable win. Give them credit for fighting to the end.

That said, you’re right that, overall, this game was just ugly and there are still real questions about the team and coaching staff.

Hey, at least we’re not Nebraska! ;)

Well, a win on the road and meaningful minutes for the talented backup qb. If Allar gets the call in a big game at least we know he won’t shit his pants. Unfortunately our run game is nowhere to be found. Just putrid.
I saw some hope in the run game actually. those freshman get to their holes much faster than Lee and Cain did. Even these sad sack O-lineman can hold blocks long enough to get those guys through. Stats wont look pretty on the ground, but I saw less tackles in the backfield and some yards.

Weird thing is, once we ran the ball a few times on the last drive, with just a little success, it opened up the passing game. Clifford is always throwing into tight windows because we either don't threaten the run, or we abandon all together(like during the penultimate drive). Kaytron and Singleton need to be major parts of this offense in order for the passing game to work, its just reality.

They're usage of the running backs is really weird. Singleton comes in and runs it like 10 times straight then barely sees the field afterward.

They're usage of the running backs is really weird. Singleton comes in and runs it like 10 times straight then barely sees the field afterward.
Pretty clear Franklin had more faith down the stretch with Kaytron and Lee for whatever reason. And look, I agree, this "everybody gets a series and a participation trophy" stuff has got to stop. Lee can be a power guy 3-4 times a game, good blocker, good in the swing pass game, but Kaytron and Singleton need to be the bell cows.

I saw some hope in the run game actually. those freshman get to their holes much faster than Lee and Cain did. Even these sad sack O-lineman can hold blocks long enough to get those guys through. Stats wont look pretty on the ground, but I saw less tackles in the backfield and some yards.
I miss Journey Brown, Sanders and Saquon.

Reactions: ram2020
That was a stinky win, but it is a W.

Given that it was on the road, it was a good win (PSU was only favored by 3.5). Team made a lot of mistakes and still won - teams generally improve the most between game 1 and 2.... and as CJF said, I'd rather make mistakes that we can learn quite a bit from and be 1-0, than 0-1. But again, given that it was on-the-road, good win, especially for the younger players - will give them more confidence.

When we start pretending Purdue is a quality win after we escaped 35-31 we're in trouble
Auburn shouldn't even be a "quality win" this year. We have 4 teams on the schedule that could potentially be in that category. The other 8 are must wins and we need to win at least 2 of those. If not, we underperformed given our talent.

Reactions: PAgeologist

Really??? His INT was not into a "tight window" - the receiver was running wide-open and Clifford threw it 10 feet over his head!

When we start pretending Purdue is a quality win after we escaped 35-31 we're in trouble
Auburn shouldn't even be a "quality win" this year. We have 4 teams on the schedule that could potentially be in that category. The other 8 are must wins and we need to win at least 2 of those. If not, we underperformed given our talent.
Oh good lord. Purdue on the road in game 1 is a quality win no matter how much you want it not to be. Is it a high quality win? No, but it’s still a quality win and one we really needed. Is there a reason as a supposed PSU fan that you can’t enjoy the win and appreciate it for what it is? Or is it that as a Pitt fan, you can’t enjoy any PSU win?

Wow--what a catch lol
It's funny at this point
That was the point where I turned to my wife and said "That's it I'm done watching football games this year". Fortunately, that was overturned, life magically got better, so maybe I'll check in on another game or two this season ;)

Reactions: Jerry
That was the point where I turned to my wife and said "That's it I'm done watching football games this year". Fortunately, that was overturned, life magically got better, so maybe I'll check in on another game or two this season ;)
I was nearly right there with you when that tight end nearly hauled in that desperate pass. Thankfully he was the beneficiary of some help from the ground and the stripes got the no catch call right.

Reactions: Jerry and OzLion
Really??? His INT was not into a "tight window" - the receiver was running wide-open and Clifford threw it 10 feet over his head!
That wa one if the few times I saw a reviever open in the middle of the field all night. Just an egregious throw.

Oh good lord. Purdue on the road in game 1 is a quality win no matter how much you want it not to be. Is it a high quality win? No, but it’s still a quality win and one we really needed. Is there a reason as a supposed PSU fan that you can’t enjoy the win and appreciate it for what it is? Or is it that as a Pitt fan, you can’t enjoy any PSU win?
I don't appreciate beating teams we should be. I expected that.
Being a fan doesn't mean you accept mediocrity. The objective is to win national titles and to be competitive yearly. Escaping Purdue with a 4 point win isn't a reason to celebrate. If you're happy about that then good for you
I don't understand why people think fandom is only how they define it. Sorry I refuse to lower expectations with a 6 year QB and a coach that's been here for a decade given the talent on this team
It's also comical that you think I'm a Pitt fan--wouldn't I have been watching Pitt/WVU? smh

Honestly, he dropped that ball but damn it was close. Truly thought it was over glad I was wrong lol

With all my wining during the game, I told my son we were going to still win. I didn't know how, but we were going to get it done. The team impressed me with their fight. they didn't fold and never gave up on Clifford.
There are still a lot of issues with the team's performance tonight to discuss with you all tomorrow.
Oh, and we covered the 3.5 $$$$$

Reactions: S.C. LionsFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT