ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Experience

bobroars

Jul 24, 2012
Went to the game yesterday....the experience has been declined over the past decade. But, the profiles of the players that they put on the video board are nauseating. A guy makes a big play and they put his video on the big board - typically kissing their bicep......am I getting too old at age 51, class of '86?

Of course it has declined. PSU has not been consistently in the running for a Big Ten Title since the mid 90's.

I said this yesterday, most of the Penn staters don't even care about football. When I was at PSU, football saturdays were the talk of the town, Fridays were great too pre-gaming, but go on social media during the game and look. Most students are worrying about their pets, what their bf.gf are doing, and getting a pumpkin lattee,

Reactions: fairgambit
I said this yesterday, most of the Penn staters don't even care about football. When I was at PSU, football saturdays were the talk of the town, Fridays were great too pre-gaming, but go on social media during the game and look. Most students are worrying about their pets, what their bf.gf are doing, and getting a pumpkin lattee,

See, the Emmert sanctions worked.

Reactions: m48tank
Went to the game yesterday....the experience has been declined over the past decade. But, the profiles of the players that they put on the video board are nauseating. A guy makes a big play and they put his video on the big board - typically kissing their bicep......am I getting too old at age 51, class of '86?

Apparently I am too cause I said the same thing.
Oddly enough I heard similar comments in the rows beside, in front and behind me and they looked to be recent grads.

Why do old people always complain about stuff?

I can't even look at that stuff when it's up there.

Thought the profiles were ridiculous when osu started doing them 15 years ago. Now we do them and its still lame. Kids like the attention though.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Why do old people always complain about stuff?
Because some things are good and some things are bad and old people know the difference.
cranky-old-man.jpg

This post proves the decline of Penn State fandom: apparently even PennStateNate now goes on social media during the game to check this stuff out!

am I getting too old

Yes, you are getting too old or otherwise just not getting it. The video was meant to pump up the crowd and show off some of the former great players/plays, mixed in with clips of the current team. It certainly wasn't a high percentage of the bicept kissing as opposed to clips of exciting plays. We all respect, admire, and expect the "act like you've been there" mannerisms, but this was a video meant to get the fans excited (and it worked for me). What do you want them to show, handing the football to the ref and taking a knee in the endzone?

Yeah - looks like a lot of people skimmed over the key part of that post.

Some use 2005 and 2008 reflexively as if those are anything more than anomalies since about 1996.
CMT that of course is correct. For one reason or another, legitimate or not, the TWO previous regimes have brought you two B1G Championships in 21 years.

So of course, the only intelligent thing to do now is FIRE THAT BUM FRANKLIN and bring in a real coach (like Al Golden) because Franklin did not win a championship last year and looks like he's not going to win this year either.

That will fix everything.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Saturday was my first game in a couple of years and my two daughters' (13 and 9) first game ever, other than a Blue/White game. We had an awesome time and the weather was not as bad as we feared earlier in the morning. A few comments/questions:

1) we turned onto Park Avenue from Atherton around 9:30, 9:45 and it was still two way traffic. I've always used that way into the stadium and I've never seen it two way traffic before a game. Is this a new thing? Admittedly, there was not a lot of traffic so maybe it was for that reason that they kept it two way.

2) what happened to the yellow goal line? That has to have been discussed on here, how did I miss it?

3) we were sitting in NCU. I really like those seats because you can see things develop. Watching Hack roll out and then looking at the routes being run, it looked like a complete mess. No one was open and, frankly, it wasn't even close. I understand why they move the pocket like that but IMHO Hack is not a good roll out thrower to begin with and then when you couple that with either the receivers being unable to get open or the routes just being poorly designed, you end up with pass plays that literally have no chance of succeeding.

4) thought the Blue Band was awesome. I was really concerned that they would not go out for pre-game or halftime given the weather and the fact that this was the 4th home game in a row with another one coming up next week. So I was glad when they did indeed come out. My girls enjoyed the pre-game, with the drum major flip, and we all really enjoyed the halftime performance with the band forming into the different military branch symbols. Being in NCU, it was really cool to see them moving around and lining up perfectly.

5) Personally, I could do without a lot of the theatrics at the stadium, but they didn't detract from the experience for me. I was so glad to share a Penn State gameday with my wife (who has been to other games) and my daughters.

1) we turned onto Park Avenue from Atherton around 9:30, 9:45 and it was still two way traffic. I've always used that way into the stadium and I've never seen it two way traffic before a game. Is this a new thing? Admittedly, there was not a lot of traffic so maybe it was for that reason that they kept it two way.

They just keep Park Ave 2 way the entire time now. They didn't announce that it was happening and they haven't explained why it is happening. It's like that every game.

Saturday was my first game in a couple of years and my two daughters' (13 and 9) first game ever, other than a Blue/White game. We had an awesome time and the weather was not as bad as we feared earlier in the morning. A few comments/questions:

2) what happened to the yellow goal line? That has to have been discussed on here, how did I miss it?

3) we were sitting in NCU. I really like those seats because you can see things develop. Watching Hack roll out and then looking at the routes being run, it looked like a complete mess. No one was open and, frankly, it wasn't even close. I understand why they move the pocket like that but IMHO Hack is not a good roll out thrower to begin with and then when you couple that with either the receivers being unable to get open or the routes just being poorly designed, you end up with pass plays that literally have no chance of succeeding.

4) thought the Blue Band was awesome. I was really concerned that they would not go out for pre-game or halftime given the weather and the fact that this was the 4th home game in a row with another one coming up next week. So I was glad when they did indeed come out. My girls enjoyed the pre-game, with the drum major flip, and we all really enjoyed the halftime performance with the band forming into the different military branch symbols. Being in NCU, it was really cool to see them moving around and lining up perfectly.

5) Personally, I could do without a lot of the theatrics at the stadium, but they didn't detract from the experience for me. I was so glad to share a Penn State gameday with my wife (who has been to other games) and my daughters.

Two way traffic on Park Ave was a complete surprise to me, too, and I go to every home game. As a result I was stuck in traffic there and on Atherton prior to the noon start of the first home game against Buffalo. I travel 4 hours, so it is difficult to arrive early for a noon game. That was the first game EVER that I was not in my seat by kickoff. It stinks and is inexcusable, particularly for a noon game, when so many arrive in a focused time frame.

I think some of you are missing the boat on this.......you don't like the changes to the gameday atmosphere....guess what, some (or most) of these changes are not meant to get your approval! These changes are meant to increase the gameday atmostphere for......wait for it........RECRUITS and players! You don't like the loud pregame music....players and recruits do. You don't like the images portrayed on the video boards.....players and recruits do. I best just about anything that if we were a top 5-10 program right now most people would be willing to overlook these "objections" and be happy that we have a good product on the field to watch....but since we don't, people want to nitpick everything. That is fine, as a fan, we have every right to voice our displeasure over things we don't like.....we are after all paying a pretty high price to go to the games......but keep in mind who some of the changes are directed towards before complaining about everything.

I don't like all the changes that have been made, but we can't live in the stone age and expect to compete with other powerhouse programs. Things must change to stay relevant. There are some things that due to tradition (i.e. jerseys) that i hope never change, but i'm realistic and realize that without recruits and players, our program is not going to be where we want it to be so i live with some of the other stuff.

Not to mention, the student section seems to be having quite a bit of fun with some of the music choices....the older crowd may not like it, but the students do......try to remember when you were a student and how much fun it may have been to hang out with your peers and let loose on a weekend. Just because we are older doesn't mean we have to complain about everything....times change and we need to be willing to change to.

I think some of you are missing the boat on this.......you don't like the changes to the gameday atmosphere....guess what, some (or most) of these changes are not meant to get your approval! Just because we are older doesn't mean we have to complain about everything....times change and we need to be willing to change to.

For us older folk who are either forced to 'adapt' or fall behind some of the changes that are announced as 'new'.....age allows us to have Experience as to what will actually survive in a new culture. Fads come and go -- as many will retreat from a poor product even though the hype is aggressively pushed against us.

For us older folk who are either forced to 'adapt' or fall behind some of the changes that are announced as 'new'.....age allows us to have Experience as to what will actually survive in a new culture. Fads come and go -- as many will retreat from a poor product even though the hype is aggressively pushed against us.

Good post. Where there a lot of recruits there for the game? I don't know I'm just asking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
ADVERTISEMENT