ADVERTISEMENT

Game 2: Pitt Panthers, Heinz Field, 8pm (ABC)

APP. STATE. :eek: APP. STATE. :eek: APP. STATE. :eek: APP. STATE. :eek: APP. STATE. :eek:

Come on, Judge. You posting about other games will ruin the team’s focus. :eek:

It's never too early to hate Pitt.

20161027mfpittsports10.jpg

Now just a month until the much-anticipated third round of the Pitt-Penn State football rivalry, Panthers players generally stayed away from the topic during Thursday’s media day.

“I look at it as a game that we have to win,” senior offensive lineman Alex Bookser said. “They’re probably going to be ranked whatever they’re ranked. Those are games that we want to win and we want to win them badly.”

Two years ago, Pitt took down Penn State at Heinz Field. Last season, the matchup shifted to Happy Valley and the Nittany Lions prevailed. The teams meet again September 8 in Pittsburgh.

“It’s going to be a dog fight, as usual,” junior wide receiver Tre Tipton said. “We’re looking forward to that dog fight. But, mainly, we just want to play for these seniors.

“We’ve got an old guy in our room. We want to play for him and make sure that he goes out this year with a great record and above what we’ve ever done before.”

The ‘old guy’ is 22-year-old senior Rafael Araujo-Lopes, who is certainly aware that many Penn State fans and some within the University do not view Pitt as a rival anymore.

Last season, after the game, Penn State coach James Franklin said, “last year, for their win, it was like the Super Bowl. But, for us, this was just like beating Akron."

The comments enraged many Pitt faithful.

"Since they don't want to consider it a rivalry, I'm not going to call it a rivalry,” Araujo-Lopes said. “But, for me, it's going to be an important game, it's going to be a big game and I think it's going to set our season off."

Unlike Araujo-Lopes, who hails from Florida, Bookser grew up in Mt. Lebanon and has more of a personal connection in the rivalry. One of his best childhood friends is former Penn State safety Troy Apke.

“I don’t really worry as much what they think on the other side,” he said. “I don’t know why you would lessen an opponent.”

“We know who they are. We know they’re good. They’re a good team, just like a lot of the other teams we’re going to play. We’re going to take it serious. You love playing people in-state.”

Tipton, who had the early part of his career at Pitt taken away due to injury, was unable to factor into Pitt’s 33-14 loss at Beaver Stadium in 2017 or the 42-39 win the year prior. He’s now keeping his eye on the big picture.

“We’re not looking to be 5-7, we’re not looking to be 8-5,” he said, acknowledging that Pitt does play Albany before they battle Penn State. “We’re looking to be way better than we’ve ever been. And that’s the goal.

“So, with that said, no matter what the situation is, no matter who we’re playing, we’re going to take it and go in there and ‘lock the gates.’”

The expression, ‘lock the gates,’ has been said within the Pitt program for some time, but has become more prominent in the school’s marketing during this offseason. It is painted on the ground as players take the field at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex in the South Side. It harkens back to the days when gladiators were locked into the Coliseum floor often, ironically enough, with lions.

When Araujo-Lopes was asked if he feels disrespected by the way Penn State views Pitt, Araujo-Lopes summed it up.

“Nope,” he said, almost dramatically abrupt. “Just, when September 8th rolls around, we’re going to be ready. I’m pretty sure they’re going to be ready and it’s going to be a good game.”

A fight is on the horizon. Gladiators against Lions. Only one month until they ‘lock the gates.’

Now just a month until the much-anticipated third round of the Pitt-Penn State football rivalry, Panthers players generally stayed away from the topic during Thursday’s media day.

“I look at it as a game that we have to win,” senior offensive lineman Alex Bookser said. “They’re probably going to be ranked whatever they’re ranked. Those are games that we want to win and we want to win them badly.”

Two years ago, Pitt took down Penn State at Heinz Field. Last season, the matchup shifted to Happy Valley and the Nittany Lions prevailed. The teams meet again September 8 in Pittsburgh.

“It’s going to be a dog fight, as usual,” junior wide receiver Tre Tipton said. “We’re looking forward to that dog fight. But, mainly, we just want to play for these seniors.

“We’ve got an old guy in our room. We want to play for him and make sure that he goes out this year with a great record and above what we’ve ever done before.”

The ‘old guy’ is 22-year-old senior Rafael Araujo-Lopes, who is certainly aware that many Penn State fans and some within the University do not view Pitt as a rival anymore.

Last season, after the game, Penn State coach James Franklin said, “last year, for their win, it was like the Super Bowl. But, for us, this was just like beating Akron."

"Since they don't want to consider it a rivalry, I'm not going to call it a rivalry,” Araujo-Lopes said. “But, for me, it's going to be an important game, it's going to be a big game and I think it's going to set our season off."

Unlike Araujo-Lopes, who hails from Florida, Bookser grew up in Mt. Lebanon and has more of a personal connection in the rivalry. One of his best childhood friends is former Penn State safety Troy Apke.

“I don’t really worry as much what they think on the other side,” he said. “I don’t know why you would lessen an opponent.”

“We know who they are. We know they’re good. They’re a good team, just like a lot of the other teams we’re going to play. We’re going to take it serious. You love playing people in-state.”

Tipton, who had the early part of his career at Pitt taken away due to injury, was unable to factor into Pitt’s 33-14 loss at Beaver Stadium in 2017 or the 42-39 win the year prior. He’s now keeping his eye on the big picture.

“We’re not looking to be 5-7, we’re not looking to be 8-5,” he said, acknowledging that Pitt does play Albany before they battle Penn State. “We’re looking to be way better than we’ve ever been. And that’s the goal.

“So, with that said, no matter what the situation is, no matter who we’re playing, we’re going to take it and go in there and ‘lock the gates.’”

The expression, ‘lock the gates,’ has been said within the Pitt program for some time, but has become more prominent in the school’s marketing during this offseason. It is painted on the ground as players take the field at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex in the South Side. It harkens back to the days when gladiators were locked into the Coliseum floor often, ironically enough, with lions.

When Araujo-Lopes was asked if he feels disrespected by the way Penn State views Pitt, Araujo-Lopes summed it up.

“Nope,” he said, almost dramatically abrupt. “Just, when September 8th rolls around, we’re going to be ready. I’m pretty sure they’re going to be ready and it’s going to be a good game.”

A fight is on the horizon. Gladiators against Lions. Only one month until they ‘lock the gates.’

We're screwed. :(

Rafael Araujo-Lopes SUCKS!

Who cares what he says.

Bookeser should stop trying to star on COPS.

Who the hell is Trey Tipton

F PITT.

More excited for Kent State than Pitt

Reactions: odshowtime
I hate this game so bad. It will be a good test in a snake pit environment. Just wish this series was over.

See, I love it. Especially going there.

I want it be late 4th quarter, an empty Heinz Field except for all the Penn State fans, just rocking with "We Are" chants. Take that shit over. Like the end of that rainy Rutgers game a few years ago.

The teams are two games into a four game series after not playing for 15 years. 2016 went down to the wire but 2017 was never really in doubt. Dog fight as usual? Nah. They should worry about beating Albany first.

Reactions: diggerpup

Their whole theme this year is built around our game. So sad. I wonder if they know gladiators didn’t really fight lions - it was mostly slaves and criminals thrown to their gruesome death.

th

WEAR WHITE, Penn State fans....

The game has officially sold out, Pitt athletic director Heather Lyke announced on Tuesday. The stadium has a listed capacity of 68,400 and 69,918 set a Heinz Field and Pitt home game record the last time the schools played in Pittsburgh in 2016.
Of course, the game is not just a big draw for Pitt fans, with many Blue and White partisans living in Western Pennsylvania or making the short drive from Central Pennsylvania. Some of the changes Pitt has made since the last time around, like not including the Penn State game in any mini-plans, were made with the intention of giving the Panthers a greater home-field advantage.
“My expectation is that it’s going to be a Blue and Gold night and that there’s going to be a lot of Panthers fans,” Lyke said. “Obviously, there’s a lot of Penn State fans that are relatively close, so I’m sure there’s going to be a decent showing, but there’s no way to really tell, but I expect our Panthers to out-number and out-cheer Penn State.”

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
WEAR WHITE, Penn State fans....

The game has officially sold out, Pitt athletic director Heather Lyke announced on Tuesday. The stadium has a listed capacity of 68,400 and 69,918 set a Heinz Field and Pitt home game record the last time the schools played in Pittsburgh in 2016.
Of course, the game is not just a big draw for Pitt fans, with many Blue and White partisans living in Western Pennsylvania or making the short drive from Central Pennsylvania. Some of the changes Pitt has made since the last time around, like not including the Penn State game in any mini-plans, were made with the intention of giving the Panthers a greater home-field advantage.
“My expectation is that it’s going to be a Blue and Gold night and that there’s going to be a lot of Panthers fans,” Lyke said. “Obviously, there’s a lot of Penn State fans that are relatively close, so I’m sure there’s going to be a decent showing, but there’s no way to really tell, but I expect our Panthers to out-number and out-cheer Penn State.”

I expect the AD of even a lower mid-tier university like Pitt would have a better grasp on reality. I guess we are going to both be disappointed.

3next0902-1535861346.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...enn-State-Sam-Sciullo-Jr/stories/201808270071

Heinz Field and the city of Pittsburgh will look spectacular under the lights when Pitt and Penn State meet for the 99th time in a prime-time telecast Saturday. An outside observer, unfamiliar with this area’s sporting landscape, might conclude that this region is a college football hotbed.

But is it? Much like the traveling carnival — here tonight, gone tomorrow — little evidence of the night before promises to remain Sunday morning because it will be the dawn of a new Steelers season.

Visit your favorite restaurant or grocery store and count the number of people wearing black and gold. Do the same on the day Pitt is playing and note the difference.

Penn State fans who chortle at Pitt’s modest football attendance figures are chortling up the wrong stadium. A more accurate barometer for Pitt would be how it compares with schools in similar situations — Boston College, Temple, Cincinnati, Houston and Miami.

It’s not by coincidence that the college football stadiums with the largest seating capacities — State College; Ann Arbor, Mich.; Columbus, Ohio; and Tuscaloosa, Ala. — are in places where there is no National Football League team.

This year’s Pitt-Penn State game will be the last one played in Pittsburgh for the foreseeable future. The 100th game in the series will be staged next September at Beaver Stadium. After that, when they play again is anyone’s guess. Pitt and Penn State may not compete on the football field for a long while, but the respective fan bases can keep the rivalry alive without any games, instead exchanging barbs and insults on internet message boards or through social media.

To Pitt fans, Penn State people demonstrate a shocking degree of naivete, blind loyalists who are unable, or unwilling, to accept that any trace of scandal or corruption has ever broken through the protective cocoon that surrounds Happy Valley.

Followers of the Nittany Lions view Pitt fans as Penn State-obsessed whiners and crybabies who are simply jealous of their longer-standing success in football, along with a much larger fan base.

Both, to some extent, are correct.

ADVERTISEMENT