ADVERTISEMENT

Game 11: PSU @ Ohio State, Columbus OH, Nov 23, 12pm Fox

Is someone forcing you to listen to it? If not there's an easy fix. ;)

It's not that I don't like listening to him, it's that I don't like him constantly coming to the podium talking about their success or picking fights of yesterdays news, etc. I actually like the guy a lot and think he offers wonderful perspectives on a host of topics.

I seem to have fallen into the black hole of this board. One where two things can't exist separate from each other. For instance "we have done really well navigating this schedule and I am proud of this team." "But I have major concerns about our play calling, over reliance on certain players on offense, and some in game management issues."

Let's see if you guys can follow this, it might blow your mind, but try to stay with me. I like Franklin, I like a myriad of topics he discusses and things he stands for. I think he is a wonderful representative of the school and a damn good coach. I also think he lacks emotional discipline and is marginally too thin skinned and needing of approval. I think he sends mixed messages to the fans/school/media/ and his team sometimes, but it probably only accounts for 10% of what he says. I came on a message board to discuss that I don't like it. I am so sorry. I also said, just last week, that we have had to play 6 opponents in a row, 5 of which are ranked, 4 of which on the road, and 3(4 if you count OSU playing rutgers) after a bye week and the team has done as well as anyone could have reasonably hoped.

It's not that I don't like listening to him, it's that I don't like him constantly coming to the podium talking about their success or picking fights of yesterdays news, etc. I actually like the guy a lot and think he offers wonderful perspectives on a host of topics.

I seem to have fallen into the black hole of this board. One where two things can't exist separate from each other. For instance "we have done really well navigating this schedule and I am proud of this team." "But I have major concerns about our play calling, over reliance on certain players on offense, and some in game management issues."

Let's see if you guys can follow this, it might blow your mind, but try to stay with me. I like Franklin, I like a myriad of topics he discusses and things he stands for. I think he is a wonderful representative of the school and a damn good coach. I also think he lacks emotional discipline and is marginally too thin skinned and needing of approval. I think he sends mixed messages to the fans/school/media/ and his team sometimes, but it probably only accounts for 10% of what he says. I came on a message board to discuss that I don't like it. I am so sorry. I also said, just last week, that we have had to play 6 opponents in a row, 5 of which are ranked, 4 of which on the road, and 3(4 if you count OSU playing rutgers) after a bye week and the team has done as well as anyone could have reasonably hoped.
That's you're opinion and I respect it. But as CJF said a couple of weeks ago, it's your opinion so don't write it as fact.

Proof that you are a troll:

Well known member. Joined in 2006. 66 posts to date on this board. You are not a PSU fan.
I got a slight ban for a hot minute and it removed my post count, hence why I show joined in 2006 but only have 70 posts.

I'm a PSU Grad
It was a tweet this morning that had cumulative record of opponents for each Top 10 team. PSU opponents were 15 games above .500, Florida was 21 games above. They were top two.
come on man........ if you play navy and equivalents 10 times you'd be #1

Provide link?

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Here it say we are 10th, and there are a bunch of top 10 teams above us.

Looking at that list
I'd put these ahead of ours -
Auburn has had a tough schedule - Florida, Oregon, LSU, Georgia, A&M. Tulane is also a solid OOC
Iowa - played us, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minny

These are about even -
Michigan There Crossover games are slightly better - ND is better than Pitt. Why I call it a push is they played Rutgers and we didn't.
LSU. Yes they had Auburn, Florida, Alabama - but the only other team worth a dang is Texas - compared to Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan. It is comparable.
Wisconsin - Iowa/Mich/OSU highlight - the rest isn't good. We had Iowa/Mich - and yes OSU is by far better than anybody else - but Indy/Minny/Pitt add depth
Florida - 3 game schedule - Auburn, LSU, Georgia. Is auburn better than Michigan? Is Georgia?
Georgia - ND/Auburn/Florida - the rest is mediocre

These I would put below us
Bama - A&M and LSU
OSU - Is cincy better than Pitt - significantly. In conference the crossover was NW, Nebraska, Wiscy - is that better than Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota. We played Michigan and they played Rutgers. Yes - Miami (OH), FAU might be better than Idaho/Buffao - but not really.

I just watched the first few minutes of Day's pc, but in that span he mentioned that the schedules are "computer generated."
Day was asked about Ohio State playing us and Michigan b-t-b because it is so very very rare.

I don't doubt him at all; however, how does that computer manage to schedule Penn State against the 2 Darlings back-to-back so often? It seems to defy random selection.

Last edited:
Looking at that list
I'd put these ahead of ours -
Auburn has had a tough schedule - Florida, Oregon, LSU, Georgia, A&M. Tulane is also a solid OOC
Iowa - played us, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minny

These are about even -
Michigan There Crossover games are slightly better - ND is better than Pitt. Why I call it a push is they played Rutgers and we didn't.
LSU. Yes they had Auburn, Florida, Alabama - but the only other team worth a dang is Texas - compared to Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan. It is comparable.
Wisconsin - Iowa/Mich/OSU highlight - the rest isn't good. We had Iowa/Mich - and yes OSU is by far better than anybody else - but Indy/Minny/Pitt add depth
Florida - 3 game schedule - Auburn, LSU, Georgia. Is auburn better than Michigan? Is Georgia?
Georgia - ND/Auburn/Florida - the rest is mediocre

These I would put below us
Bama - A&M and LSU
OSU - Is cincy better than Pitt - significantly. In conference the crossover was NW, Nebraska, Wiscy - is that better than Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota. We played Michigan and they played Rutgers. Yes - Miami (OH), FAU might be better than Idaho/Buffao - but not really.
remember strength of schedule is to date, so PSU can't claim OSU yet. After this weekend, they can and their SOS will be better.

I got a slight ban for a hot minute and it removed my post count, hence why I show joined in 2006 but only have 70 posts.

I'm a PSU Grad

come on man........ if you play navy and equivalents 10 times you'd be #1

Fact free come back, well done. Welcome to ignore.

remember strength of schedule is to date, so PSU can't claim OSU yet. After this weekend, they can and their SOS will be better.

I know that - which is why I pointed out we played Michigan and they didn't.

Our best 2 opponents have a combined 1 loss. I don't think anybody else can say that. Our 3rd best has 2 losses. our 4th best has 4 losses but 3 of those losses came to top 10 teams.

We've lost ONE GAME by more than 5 points in the last 46 games. Dumb.
It's crazy but Franklin is almost a victim of his own success-save for the 2 Michigan Games since 2016 (and maybe Kentucky) are all games that PSU blew-14 point lead in the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl vs USC, the last 2 Ohio State nightmares, Mich State in 17-18, and Minny this year were all right there. Frustrating, frustrating losses.

Makes me sick still thinking about the fact we managed to lose this game.

I've learned not to go too far down the hole, after many years of torture. That one would have driven me insane a few years ago. I'm still all messed up, but I try not to add more fuel to the fire. MSU last year was the one recently that made me want to rip off my face and flush it down the toilet.

I've learned not to go too far down the hole, after many years of torture. That one would have driven me insane a few years ago. I'm still all messed up, but I try not to add more fuel to the fire. MSU last year was the one recently that made me want to rip off my face and flush it down the toilet.
I like the cut of your jib Odshowtime. Michigan State last year left me in a pile of seething unconsciousness. On homecoming, off a bye week, at home to a team that was garbage and ruined our season the year prior.

I like the cut of your jib Odshowtime. Michigan State last year left me in a pile of seething unconsciousness. On homecoming, off a bye week, at home to a team that was garbage and ruined our season the year prior.

It was unacceptable.

Thinking about missing a chance for revenge against Minnesota, and USC in the Rose Bowl is what keeps me up at night. Just the revenge part.

Not really. I'm guessing you'll be able to hear his crying from miles away.

Oh, you're back, so happy. I would say 60% of the board is predicting a big loss this weekend, so do me a favor and find someone else to lock horns with this week about how bad they are as fans.

For a second let's play make believe. I know this will be especially hard for some of you, but let's say we play a near perfect game and really dominate the game, even if not the score. We win by 7 to 13 points or so, basically what Minnesota did to us minus the butt clinching 4th quarter. I can see the spin now that we are not really a better team and that OSU just had a bad day and we played out of our mind and if on a neutral field rematch we would lose, even though we would have just beat them AT HOME.

I just have this feeling the defense is going to come to effin play this weekend. I've got a feeling the performance since the bye week is partially because the coaching staff has been game planning this one since then.

It's crazy but Franklin is almost a victim of his own success-save for the 2 Michigan Games since 2016 (and maybe Kentucky) are all games that PSU blew-14 point lead in the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl vs USC, the last 2 Ohio State nightmares, Mich State in 17-18, and Minny this year were all right there. Frustrating, frustrating losses.

And I am sure the players and staff were frustrated each time even more than us fans.

I still don't like Franklin talking about their 4 year success rate ahead of Ohio State. In fact, I don't like Franklin trumpeting his program at all to local media and fans. It typically has not worked out well and I can cite numerous examples. If results speak for themselves, let the results speak?

Now, don't get me wrong, some PSU PR lackey can feel free to post all day everyday all of our accomplishments and so on and so forth.

Alright, we get it. ****in drama boy.

Reactions: ram2020
I've got a feeling the performance since the bye week is partially because the coaching staff has been game planning this one since then.

If true, they, (the coaches), made a big mistake.

I still don't like Franklin talking about their 4 year success rate ahead of Ohio State. In fact, I don't like Franklin trumpeting his program at all to local media and fans. It typically has not worked out well and I can cite numerous examples. If results speak for themselves, let the results speak?

Now, don't get me wrong, some PSU PR lackey can feel free to post all day everyday all of our accomplishments and so on and so forth.
Franklin trumpeting the success of the program is not to impress the fans or the press. He is recruiting.

Franklin trumpeting the success of the program is not to impress the fans or the press. He is recruiting.
Now, now, he can only talk about the losses and be a sh!thead downer like Dantonio. That is what gets the fans and recruits excited. I find it funny how "fans" simply invent sh!t to get upset about....it's beyond stupid, but they are getting good at it.

Now, now, he can only talk about the losses and be a sh!thead downer like Dantonio. That is what gets the fans and recruits excited. I find it funny how "fans" simply invent sh!t to get upset about....it's beyond stupid, but they are getting good at it.
I’ve said it before. Some people are only happy if they are bit*hing about something. Everything is gloom and doom. They watch a win over a top 25 team and only see the mistakes. I know such people and they suck to be around

I’ve said it before. Some people are only happy if they are bit*hing about something. Everything is gloom and doom. They watch a win over a top 25 team and only see the mistakes. I know such people and they suck to be around

9-1 and ranked in the Top 10. Imagine how they would have been when Joe had 4 losing seasons in 5 years back in the early 2000s. Or maybe that was ok because it was Joe.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I just watched the first few minutes of Day's pc, but in that span he mentioned that the schedules are "computer generated."
Day was asked about Ohio State playing us and Michigan b-t-b because it is so very very rare.

I don't doubt him at all; however, how does that computer manage to schedule Penn State against the 2 Darlings back-to-back so often? It seems to defy random selection.

It is not random selection. The schedule this year was set up by the Big Ten for Michigan to win the conference. They had a week off before a tough road game at Wisconsin. They played Iowa after an off week against Rutgers. They played Penn State after playing Illinois (who is actually not terrible this year, but were supposed to be). They play OSU the week after OSU has to play Penn State. We know how that has gone for OSU over the past couple of years.

Yet even with all of those schedule advantages, Michigan is still not going to win the division.

Reactions: odshowtime
Could it be that:

*PS's Ohio native quarterback takes this one personally and shocks the world with an amazing performance both running and throwing?
*Justin Shorter comes up HUGE in this game, catches everything thrown his way and makes huge plays?
*Micah Parson plays the game of his life and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage and ends up with a huge Conlan like interception and return?
*Blake Gilliken keeps them pinned in all day long?

Could it be that:

*PS's Ohio native quarterback takes this one personally and shocks the world with an amazing performance both running and throwing?
*Justin Shorter comes up HUGE in this game, catches everything thrown his way and makes huge plays?
*Micah Parson plays the game of his life and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage and ends up with a huge Conlan like interception and return?

I don't make predictions, season, game, or recruits...but the winning formula to me would be...

Weather forecast indicates cold and snow showers likely. Watching the beginning of the Wisconsin/Ohio State game in similar conditions, Ohio State ran the ball early and really limited what they asked Fields to do in the first half. Penn State leads the nation in yards per carry against. Stuff their running game. Fields probably has very little experience playing in cold, wet weather. Make him be accurate with the football in poor conditions. Penn State did a great job against Haskins last year until the were able to gouge us with the screen game in the 2nd half. We still outgained them by 100 yards in that game. Pressure fields, give him no running lanes to escape. Everyone associated with that program expects to blow us out, so a unexpectedly close game is going to result in a quiet, shocked, nervous stadium. Use your depth on defense. Play a ton of guys so that, for once, we have fresh defenders in the 4th quarter.

I don't make predictions, season, game, or recruits...but the winning formula to me would be...

Weather forecast indicates cold and snow showers likely. Watching the beginning of the Wisconsin/Ohio State game in similar conditions, Ohio State ran the ball early and really limited what they asked Fields to do in the first half. Penn State leads the nation in yards per carry against. Stuff their running game. Fields probably has very little experience playing in cold, wet weather. Make him be accurate with the football in poor conditions. Penn State did a great job against Haskins last year until the were able to gouge us with the screen game in the 2nd half. We still outgained them by 100 yards in that game. Pressure fields, give him no running lanes to escape. Everyone associated with that program expects to blow us out, so a unexpectedly close game is going to result in a quiet, shocked, nervous stadium. Use your depth on defense. Play a ton of guys so that, for once, we have fresh defenders in the 4th quarter.

It will be interesting how Day handles the mental approach of his players this week. Urban's teams seemed to always have at least one letdown throughout the season. This week seems a lot like our week going into the Minnesota game. Everyone talking about Ohio State's playoff picture. Everyone talking about an obvious OSU win. Everyone talking about a possible blow out. OSU with a big rival game against a good team the following week. As you posted earlier, a lot of "rat poison".

Who Knows?

Could it be that:

The secondary has to play a lot better, we can't afford any broken coverage issues.

Analyst David Pollack didn't give a prediction, but it sounds like he's siding with the Buckeyes thanks to Young's return.

"Penn State has one chance and that suspension went out the window last week," Pollack said. "If he was suspended for this game, they would've had a chance. If you look at Penn State, this is a team that's kind of leaking oil, lost some of that luster they've had during the regular season. Offensive line is their weakest part of their offensive unit period.

"I don't know how they slow him down. He's going to get his."

Penn State was favored by 4.5 in the MSU game...

Has Penn State already peaked?
I am not trying to imply that the Nittany Lions are not a very good team, but they had to hold on at home to beat Michigan 28-21 back on Oct. 19, won 28-7 on the road against a Michigan State team that's in danger of missing a bowl game, lost at Minnesota 31-26 two weeks ago, and then most recently survived Indiana 34-27 at home. Given this string of results, does Penn State have the depth and talent to go four quarters with an Ohio State team that is averaging nearly 52 points a game?

You know, I have to comment on the Ohio State fans I see online. For going against a team that IS NOT THEIR RIVAL, as the undefeated #2 team in the country, jesus are they a hateful bunch. I haven't read every post, but I don't recall reading a single post on this board hating on Ohio State fans, calling Ryan Day names, etc.

Franklin was extremely complimentary of Ohio State in his press conference. Look at the headline to this article compared to the 100+ comments that followed it. Besides having to live in Ohio, wtf are they so angry about?

JAMES FRANKLIN ON OHIO STATE: “PROBABLY THE MOST TALENTED ROSTER WE'VE WATCHED ON TAPE ... MAYBE SINCE WE'VE BEEN HERE”

Buckeyenut74 21 HOURS AGO
Do you really think he will sit, injured or not? I don’t. Franklin would push him out there even if he has to use a walker.

Bratwurstcapita... 21 HOURS AGO
James days obviously alot! I hope Day puts up big points in this ass hole.

THEGAME513 21 HOURS AGO
You just beat me to it. I'm reading thinking you Assclown, WTF you been watching, old livesteams of NCAA, fanmade YouTube videos?? Just have the county corinor on standby someone's getting bodied.

BuckeyeatTSUN 17 HOURS AGO
On being an insufferable asshat: “Obviously the asshatery at Penn State is as strong as any place in the country ... obviously.”

Niblick 21 HOURS AGO
- He's a complete douchebag that I want to punch in the face every time i see him.
- I hope he stay in Happy Valley forever. He can recruit enough to keep them relevant but he's a GARBAGE in-game coach.

UpIrons 21 HOURS AGO
Is it me or does he just have one of those faces you just want to wipe the smirk off of anytime you see him?

Doc 20 HOURS AGO
He has a very punchable face.

ScarletnGreyTexan 20 HOURS AGO
This guy is the biggest douche bag coach in the B1G, his subtle jabs at our players by not referring to them by name like Dobbins "Their running back", GTFOH Franklin, I am hoping for a firm curb stomping Saturday.

NOBLUE 18 HOURS AGO
Franklin may be the biggest A----hole in the BIG ...maybe the whole country....

Holy Cow, Judge. And James has only managed to win 1 (2 if we remove O'Neill's theft in 2014) and lose by a point twice. Imagine the hatred he'd incur had he won all those close games!

I guess it is telling that Penn State has been the only program to challenge the mighty Buckeyes the past decade or so. But to display such venom towards a HC who just praised your team so much ... I don't quite understand it.

Holy Cow, Judge. And James has only managed to win 1 (2 if we remove O'Neill's theft in 2014) and lose by a point twice. Imagine the hatred he'd incur had he won all those close games!

I guess it is telling that Penn State has been the only program to challenge the mighty Buckeyes the past decade or so. But to display such venom towards a HC who just praised your team so much ... I don't quite understand it.

Pitt, Maryland, Rutgers fans hate Penn State because we have dominated them for 50+ years. As James would say, "Look, I get it." I think it is baked into Ohio State fans. I remember they had a series with Texas in the early 2000s (?) and hearing about how awful the traveling Longhorn fans were treated. They've tried to calm down on that behavior in their stadium, but that demeanor is always bubbling below the surface.

ADVERTISEMENT