ADVERTISEMENT

Game 11: PSU @ Ohio State, Columbus OH, Nov 23, 12pm Fox

JF: There are programs that have not been through anywhere near the adversity we have and are not having the success we are having. It doesn't feel like it sometimes based on the media narrative. I am not satisfied and our fans are not either. If you take a look at the big picture, though, everyone associated with Penn State should be proud of what our guys do on and off the field. It's very difficult to be successful in all areas at the level we have.

James Franklin: "Chase Young is back just in time for good ol' Penn State. .."
iu

JF: There are programs that have not been through anywhere near the adversity we have and are not having the success we are having. It doesn't feel like it sometimes based on the media narrative. I am not satisfied and our fans are not either. If you take a look at the big picture, though, everyone associated with Penn State should be proud of what our guys do on and off the field. It's very difficult to be successful in all areas at the level we have.

Yeah, Franklin has mentioned on a few occasions they don't get enough credit for the success they have had as a staff and as a team. On one hand, he is right, and I wish our local media in particular would be a little more positive about him and the program. On the other, I don't love how this is still a topic that our coach trumpets in year 6 with the program. Especially with the constant backdrop of the "elite" speech. Look, you can drive to be elite while still reflecting on the journey to "good" or "great," but its a fine a line. The #1 salesman in any organization doesn't love to reflect on his last few years of achieving quota and asking for back rubs. He is so mono-focused on getting the next deal, the next year, being the BEST again. It's probably nothing, it just sort of bugs me for no reason. Last year, it was "we have a chance to win 10 games for 3 years in a row, something that hasn't happened at this place often," then they get smacked around by Kentucky. It always makes me a little worried when CJF starts referencing positive stats or previous success, I always think a shoe is going to drop. Like, we will play like dogsh*t and he will come up the podium talking about his critical stats, "we won the explosive play battle, we won the turnover battle, we blah blah blah," but you know they didn't play well. 3 weeks ago it was, we are top 10 in offensive efficiency and top 10 in defensive efficiency, then we lose to Minnesota and kind of look like garbage against IU.

Reactions: Ughhh
For a guy who preaches "1-0" and "Indiana Indiana Indiana Indiana ...Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State etc", it seems as though he isn't quite living up to his mantra lately. Last week (3 days after the MN game), he comes out and gets into a "unprovoked" discussion of the media criticism of his 2 point play call in the MN game. Today (with the biggest game of the year 4 days away), he gets into a discussion about "the media narrative".

Instead of focusing on the media narrative 3 days after the games have been played, he would probably be better off going back to the office and trying to figure out how his defense can stop giving up hundreds of yards of passing offense and 85% completion rates each week.

Reactions: Ughhh and psu2016
I liked CJF’s demeanour today during the PC. He seemed loose and relaxed, a bit different than the last couple PC’s....even cracked a few jokes. Good sign heading into our biggest game of the year.

For a guy who preaches "1-0" and "Indiana Indiana Indiana Indiana ...Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State etc", it seems as though he isn't quite living up to his mantra lately. Last week (3 days after the MN game), he comes out and gets into a "unprovoked" discussion of the media criticism of his 2 point play call in the MN game. Today (with the biggest game of the year 4 days away), he gets into a discussion about "the media narrative".

Instead of focusing on the media narrative 3 days after the games have been played, he would probably be better off going back to the office and trying to figure out how his defense can stop giving up hundreds of yards of passing offense and 85% completion rates each week.

SO much YES. I basically just posted the same thing a few posts up.

Yeah, Franklin has mentioned on a few occasions they don't get enough credit for the success they have had as a staff and as a team. On one hand, he is right, and I wish our local media in particular would be a little more positive about him and the program. On the other, I don't love how this is still a topic that our coach trumpets in year 6 with the program. Especially with the constant backdrop of the "elite" speech. Look, you can drive to be elite while still reflecting on the journey to "good" or "great," but its a fine a line. The #1 salesman in any organization doesn't love to reflect on his last few years of achieving quota and asking for back rubs. He is so mono-focused on getting the next deal, the next year, being the BEST again. It's probably nothing, it just sort of bugs me for no reason. Last year, it was "we have a chance to win 10 games for 3 years in a row, something that hasn't happened at this place often," then they get smacked around by Kentucky. It always makes me a little worried when CJF starts referencing positive stats or previous success, I always think a shoe is going to drop. Like, we will play like dogsh*t and he will come up the podium talking about his critical stats, "we won the explosive play battle, we won the turnover battle, we blah blah blah," but you know they didn't play well. 3 weeks ago it was, we are top 10 in offensive efficiency and top 10 in defensive efficiency, then we lose to Minnesota and kind of look like garbage against IU.

Justin Fields: "The last time I drove a team to win a game at the end of the game was my junior year of high school".

Reactions: PSU2UNC
We've lost ONE GAME by more than 5 points in the last 46 games. Dumb.
But we've lost 2 games in the last 49 games by a combined 74 points. You can spin it many ways.

Both games were on the road when Penn state just got physically dominated at the lines. That can happen this week vs OSU. I'm more worried about OSU dominating the lines than their skilled players, and their skilled players are elite too. I think penn state will hold up ok on the dline first half, get worn out second half, but I think the PSU oline could get abused all game.

Reactions: ram2020

Yeah. Okay, the results speak for themselves, we have won an awful lot of football games over the past few years. My simple question is this: Are we elite? Are we trending towards elite? Should we continue to focus/discuss(during game week against the #2 team in the country) that we have done a great job, that we don't get enough credit? Do elite coaches talk about how they deserve more credit than they are given 4 days before they play their biggest game....as 19 point underdogs no less?

Last edited:
But we've lost 2 games in the last 49 games by a combined 74 points. You can spin it many ways.

Both games were on the road when Penn state just got physically dominated at the lines. That can happen this week vs OSU. I'm more worried about OSU dominating the lines than their skilled players, and their skilled players are elite too. I think penn state will hold up ok on the dline first half, get worn out second half, but I think the PSU oline could get abused all game.
Neither of the two games you refer to were to OSU.

Probably shouldn't even show up.

DOES ANYONE HERE THINK WE'RE NOT GOING TO ABSOLUTELY DEMOLISH PENN STATE?

by LCT
November 19, 2019 at 12:07pm

I haven't seen any comments in the forums to that effect. No attacks and I won't even debate you (though others might).

I'm expecting a 35-point blowout, which I am amazed by when I think about it.

Wyandot Buckeye Fan 2 HOURS AGO
It will be well over before the 4th, Penn St. has got NO chanch.

LCT 2 HOURS AGO
Same here. I think it's gonna look a lot like that night game a few years back when they had Hackenburg. A massacre.

Fatpants MOD 2 HOURS AGO
Penn State is overrated. They're going to get thrashed.

Buckeyebab17 1 HOUR AGO
Expecting anything less than a two score win doesn’t make sense to me. Ohio State is going to blow this team out of the building lol. 55-14 sounds good to me

Elguapo 1 HOUR AGO
I would say at worst it will be similar to the Wisconsin game, but im expecting it to be even worse, Wisconsin actually matches up better to us than PSU in my opinion especially when it was played in a monsoon and we still destroyed them. Penn St doesn't play ball control and can't run the ball so passing and getting killed by the predator seems like a good recipe for an ass beating.

OVBuckeye 18 MINUTES AGO
Ohio State is going to put the beat down on Penn State. For as much as Penn St is 9-1, they could easily be 6-4. I have watched a number of their games and they looked like garbage against teams like Pitt and Indiana and they should have lost to Michigan and Iowa. Ohio State is gonna blow them out, 2nd teamers in for the 4th quarter....mark it down

Last edited:
Reactions: RMosack
Should we continue to focus/discuss(during game week against the #2 team in the country) that we have done a great job, that we don't get enough credit? Do elite coaches talk about how they deserve more credit than they are given 4 days before they play their biggest game....as 19 point underdogs no less?
Just come out and say it. You don't like the coach talking about it. Now coaches are supposed to act and speak in a certain way?

Press conferences mean nothing when the ball is snapped. The results are what matters. Talk is talk.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Just come out and say it. You don't like the coach talking about it. Now coaches are supposed to act and speak in a certain way?

Press conferences mean nothing when the ball is snapped. The results are what matters. Talk is talk.

Okay, I don't like Coach speaking about it. I did not like it after the regular season last year. I do not like it before and after games in press conferences leading up to games. If he wants to give an interview with Onward State or something in the off-season and reminisce about all the success they have had and how underappreciated they are, have at it. I'll let you in on another little secret. I did not care for the powder keg soliloquy last Tuesday about feeling undermined by the media over the 2 point conversion after Minnesota. Literally sends out his "Indiana, Indiana, Indiana, all focus and praise be to god indiana from here on out" on Sunday night and then he is criticizing the media for their takes on a 2 point conversion the previous game. It's really for the same reason I don't want to hear him telling me he is doing everything in his power, in the program's power, to be elite and then flaunting his success over the last 4 years. Especially considering they are about to play O$U and get their doors knocked off. And after they get their doors knocked off, we will all get to hear about how 99.9999% of the college football world would love to have their record and that he appreciates all of Penn State's positive fans.

Reactions: Westbrook#36
Okay, I don't like Coach speaking about it. I did not like it after the regular season last year. I do not like it before and after games in press conferences leading up to games. If he wants to give an interview with Onward State or something in the off-season and reminisce about all the success they have had and how underappreciated they are, have at it. I'll let you in on another little secret. I did not care for the powder keg soliloquy last Tuesday about feeling undermined by the media over the 2 point conversion after Minnesota. Literally sends out his "Indiana, Indiana, Indiana, all focus and praise be to god indiana from here on out" on Sunday night and then he is criticizing the media for their takes on a 2 point conversion the previous game. It's really for the same reason I don't want to hear him telling me he is doing everything in his power, in the program's power, to be elite and then flaunting his success over the last 4 years. Especially considering they are about to play O$U and get their doors knocked off. And after they get their doors knocked off, we will all get to hear about how 99.9999% of the college football world would love to have their record and that he appreciates all of Penn State's positive fans.
Ok. Say we win on Saturday. Then what?

Ok. Say we win on Saturday. Then what?

I still don't like Franklin talking about their 4 year success rate ahead of Ohio State. In fact, I don't like Franklin trumpeting his program at all to local media and fans. It typically has not worked out well and I can cite numerous examples. If results speak for themselves, let the results speak?

Now, don't get me wrong, some PSU PR lackey can feel free to post all day everyday all of our accomplishments and so on and so forth.

I still don't like Franklin talking about their 4 year success rate ahead of Ohio State. In fact, I don't like Franklin trumpeting his program at all to local media and fans. It typically has not worked out well and I can cite numerous examples. If results speak for themselves, let the results speak?

Now, don't get me wrong, some PSU PR lackey can feel free to post all day everyday all of our accomplishments and so on and so forth.
I’m quite sure Franklin doesn’t give a rat’s ass what you like or don’t like (much like everyone on this board).

Reactions: 81b&w
ram2020 will be really f’n quiet.

No I won't. Even if we win it does not change my perspective that I don't want my coach talking about how successful we have been leading up to our biggest game of the year. Win, lose, or draw.

Yeah. Okay, the results speak for themselves, we have won an awful lot of football games over the past few years. My simple question is this: Are we elite? Are we trending towards elite? Should we continue to focus/discuss(during game week against the #2 team in the country) that we have done a great job, that we don't get enough credit? Do elite coaches talk about how they deserve more credit than they are given 4 days before they play their biggest game....as 19 point underdogs no less?
I think Franklin has done a good job, but i don't feel he has the lines where they need to be for an elite team. Obviously this year safety play is not great especially lately. I also think the lines are the most important after QB.

No I won't. Even if we win it does not change my perspective that I don't want my coach talking about how successful we have been leading up to our biggest game of the year. Win, lose, or draw.
Why do you care what he talks about?

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I’m quite sure Franklin doesn’t give a rat’s ass what you like or don’t like (much like everyone on this board).

Totally agree, good its a message board and I can freely state my opinion, just like all of our local media and fans.

Is someone forcing you to listen to it? If not there's an easy fix. ;)

Why do you care what he talks about?

Because I am a big believer that teams mimic the emotions/words of a coach. Oh, and a lot of people care what he talks about evidenced by his very well attended press conferences.

Because I am a big believer that teams mimic the emotions/words of a coach. Oh, and a lot of people care what he talks about evidenced by his very well attended press conferences.
So maybe hearing that their coach believes in them and believes in what they’re trying to accomplish is a good thing for the players.

When our coaches coach, they do a terrible job. When Franklin talks about something other than coaching, or talks at all, he should be coaching.

I don’t know. Maybe pizza parties and grab-ass are the way to go this week.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
ADVERTISEMENT