ADVERTISEMENT

Game 11: PSU @ Ohio State, Columbus OH, Nov 23, 12pm Fox

Ohio State players eating the rat poison this week.

tenor.gif

We will have to play a different defensive game to try to keep things close. With OSU’s WR’s and Fields ability to run, the aggressive blitzing is likely to result in big plays. I don’t see Pry doing this.

Players definitely notice quotes like this. Saw Lamont Wade already had it re-tweeted. Hopefully add some more fuel to the fire.
He is the last guy to re-tweet anything, I wish he would make more plays on the field and re-tweet less-any Int's for Wade this year one of are starting safeties through 10 games.

Greatest team in the history of the Big Ten.

Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit do this thing called "Nightcap Recap" on Fowler's Instagram where on the plane ride leaving Gameday they recap the day's action. It's usually highly entertaining and more candid than how they talk when calling the game. Anyways, Kirk said he talked with a prominent former B1G coach who said this OSU team is the greatest B1G team he's ever seen. Not greatest OSU team, but the entire B1G. The coach wasn't Urban or Harbaugh, so Fowler said it was Barry Alvarez and Kirk didn't confirm or deny.

Reactions: bmw199
IMO, our loss to Minnie helps us this week. All the pressure is on OSU! It'll be hard for them to avoid over confidence. PSU, OTOH, should be able to play loose.

Franklin has to take a page out of Fleck's playbook and make sure his team believes it can win. Oh, and he better figure out a way for his WR's to get open and for his secondary to cover somebody.

I was searching around through mock drafts, last year’s all B1G teams, and the one good preseason all-B1G team that I could find. From all of that, it’s clear that OSU is talented (no kidding), but they don’t stick out as being more talented than in years previous.

A site with mock draft compilations: https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-drafts/2020

Browsing through it, Young and Okudah are consensus top-ten picks in this years draft, and Dobbins is expected to go in the second round. They are the only ones projected to go in the first two rounds. In 2021, which I can only find first round mocks for, Fields is expected to be a top pick, and some mocks have Thayer Munford or Tuf Borland also getting selected. That isn’t a ton of players for OSU standards.

Last year’s all-B1G team:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_All-Big_Ten_Conference_football_team

Dobbins (2nd team coaches), K.J. Hill (3rd team media), Young (2nd coaches, 3rd media), and Jordan Fuller (2nd media) are the only players that returned this year for Ohio State. Again, nothing to sneeze at, but not astonishing.

Preseason all-B1G team:
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-2019-all-conference-team

Ohio State is well represented, but does not stand out as being far and away better than every other team.

The takeaway from all of this is that Ohio State is better than usual for three possible reasons: 1) The coaching is better (appears to be true). 2) While the top end talent doesn’t jump out, there is more depth than in the past (not sure if true). 3) They are simply playing very well (true).

With all that being said, Ohio State is more talented than Penn State but not in an overwhelming manner that would preclude a competitive game. If we play our A game (we’ve only done so for a few halves at a time), and Ohio State plays their C game, we should win.

We can all imagine what our A game looks like: Clifford plays well, running game is established with Cain and Brown, play calling isn’t terrible, front 7 continues to hold strong against the run, Gross-Matos and Windsor have good days, and the secondary plays like it did during the first half of the season.

As for how Ohio State might end up playing its C game: We can hope that they are a little overconfident coming into this game. Dobbins’ comment sounds like it was in jest, but if we’re lucky, it reflects the actual attitude of the Buckeyes’ locker-room. But the simplest way for us to make them play bad is to make their quarterback play bad. Here are the most obvious ways it could happen: 1) More talent and more complex scheming than Fields has seen before (not including his limited snaps at Georgia). 2) He gets hit a lot, and he reacts poorly. 3) We make it a close game, and he reacts poorly. 4) The weather is crappy, and he reacts poorly. I’m not saying that any of those will happen, but they are possibilities. And even if Fields reacts well to those challenges, the rest of the team is also capable of faltering, too.

Before any lurking OSU fans jump on me for talking about their team without the proper reverence, keep in mind that this is a Penn State board and that I am presenting the glass half-full case for a Penn State victory. Sure, I could also make a long list of reasons why OSU will win, but what’s the point when everyone already thinks that Ohio State will win?

Reactions: bplionfan
Interesting tidbit that I didn't really realize about OSU.

In the games against teams with a pulse (Wisc, MSU and Cincy), they have been very, very run heavy. Almost 2 to 1 in terms of attempts.

I think that actually favors PSU. That's not to say that OSU can't throw the ball, but they aren't going to come out throwing it around like IU. I also don't think they do a lot of the one read stuff that Minny (and to a lesser extent IU) did. DL needs to make Fields uncomfortable in the pocket.

Edit: I wasn't sure whether to include Cincy in analysis above, but it doesn't matter. Pattern is the same against just MSU and Wisc.

Since you joined the board you've given nothing but ohio-tinged thoughts and opinions and this is the last one I'll read.
Really? Since 2001, right? Please provide proof you weasel.
If you only knew how much I despise the suckeyes.

Last edited:
this thread is as good a place as any to voice my anger at Rod Gilmore for his comments during the Indiana game

they were discussing Penn State winning out and going to the playoff and he said "do you hear Ohio State fans snickering?"

man eff that guy....talking down about a team's chances is one thing but that was some real bullshit

All the more reason we can hope that PSU surprises the hell out of OSU... I don't think this will be a blowout by any means...

“We have a better everything outside of KJ Hamler, let's be honest.”
-Baximus, Bucknuts 247 Mod

Nothing worse than a big headed arrogant fan. I hear it all the time down here in Clemson territory. Really makes a person root hard against these teams (actually, the fans)...

Reactions: odshowtime
Greatest team in the history of the Big Ten.

Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit do this thing called "Nightcap Recap" on Fowler's Instagram where on the plane ride leaving Gameday they recap the day's action. It's usually highly entertaining and more candid than how they talk when calling the game. Anyways, Kirk said he talked with a prominent former B1G coach who said this OSU team is the greatest B1G team he's ever seen. Not greatest OSU team, but the entire B1G. The coach wasn't Urban or Harbaugh, so Fowler said it was Barry Alvarez and Kirk didn't confirm or deny.
The greatest team has another team’s backup QB that transferred there because he couldn’t cut it at his original school? That’s a sure fire building block. The 94 PSU team would roll this OSU team.

Day:

• On Penn State: "Very well-coached again. (Defensive coordinator) Brent Pry does a really good job, has year in and year out. They've given us fits. They do a good job. On offense, they got playmakers. (Wide receivers K.J.) Hamler and (Jahan) Dotson and (quarterback Sean) Clifford, (tight end Pat) Freiermuth. They've got good players, and (offensive coordinator) Ricky Rahne does a good job over there on offense there as well. So a combination of good players and good schemes and coaching."

• On Saturday's weather forecast, which is calling for potential snow and rain: "I try not to get too focused on that, especially early in the week, because we know it changes." Day said the Buckeyes look at that more once they get to Wednesday or Thursday, but because the forecast often changes between Monday and Saturday, they can't worry about it now. "Typically what happens in my experience is whatever it says on Monday, it typically changes by the time you get to Saturday anyways, so we got enough things to discuss about right now, and we'll keep that on the back-burner."

Fun Justin Field fact of the day:

For his career he has only attempted 49 passes against top 25 competition.

For comparison, Clifford has attempted 115.

ADVERTISEMENT