ADVERTISEMENT

Game 11: PSU @ Ohio State, Columbus OH, Nov 23, 12pm Fox

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
6_4896572.jpg

I personally don't know a single Penn State fan who thinks we will keep this game close. Still, stating the obvious, upsets happen and next Saturday may be our day.

Historically this game has been close, even when expected to be lopsided. As an OSU fan I’m a little concerned: especially since we haven’t played a full four quarter game all year. It will happen on Saturday.

Historically this game has been close, even when expected to be lopsided. As an OSU fan I’m a little concerned: especially since we haven’t played a full four quarter game all year. It will happen on Saturday.

I think our guys have what it takes 70 percent of the time to beat OSU. Maybe they’ll get a little luck and a lot of adrenaline to help out the rest of the time.

this thread is as good a place as any to voice my anger at Rod Gilmore for his comments during the Indiana game

they were discussing Penn State winning out and going to the playoff and he said "do you hear Ohio State fans snickering?"

man eff that guy....talking down about a team's chances is one thing but that was some real bullshit

this thread is as good a place as any to voice my anger at Rod Gilmore for his comments during the Indiana game

they were discussing Penn State winning out and going to the playoff and he said "do you hear Ohio State fans snickering?"

man eff that guy....talking down about a team's chances is one thing but that was some real bullshit

Call it a hate myself complex, but no other blue blood program gets as much disrespect as Penn State does.

So does Delany assign us John O’Neill and crew, or does he assume Ohio State won’t need them?

Reactions: bmw199
Ok. Franklin recruited all of these kids and they are 9-1. There's more kids at the ready to replace who ever leaves to make the push next year. Quit pushing the mass hysteria bullshit. Good enough?

One of those kids got hurt yesterday and we rolled out Chisena and a baseball player. Who are these new kids replacing the production of Hamler and Friermuth?

One of those kids got hurt yesterday and we rolled out Chisena and a baseball player. Who are these new kids replacing the production of Hamler and Friermuth?
Do you mean Freiermuth? He had 2 catches for 32 yards and Hamler had 2 for 52 AND THE TEAM STILL WON. Perhaps the baseball player and the other kids from the multiple top 10 recruiting classes will be ready next year? Or will they all be in the transfer portal after the season because we only won 10 or 11 games?

Oh, and they put together the longest sustained drive at the end of the game since 2012 but I suppose that's not good enough either. SMFH.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I believe in our kids and our staff. Beat them in 2016, had double digit leads the last two years before falling by a single digit twice. They will be prepared and will show up in Columbus. You can’t just throw your depth charts out on the field. You actually have to win the game. Let’s see what happens.

I believe in our kids and our staff. Beat them in 2016, had double digit leads the last two years before falling by a single digit twice. They will be prepared and will show up in Columbus. You can’t just throw your depth charts out on the field. You actually have to win the game. Let’s see what happens.
I like the two TE unit in this game. Can chip Chase Young no matter which side he lines up on without getting fancy.

Our DL will have to play their best game. Back 7 can’t blow any assignments or it’s a TD this week

Speaking after the Rutgers game, running back J.K. Dobbins was asked about what it would be like to be in a four-quarter game against Penn State. After all, Dobbins has amassed 995 of his 1,289 rushing yards this season in the first half of games.

A coy Dobbins smiled and asked rhetorically, “Why does it have to be a four-quarter game?”

Speaking after the Rutgers game, running back J.K. Dobbins was asked about what it would be like to be in a four-quarter game against Penn State. After all, Dobbins has amassed 995 of his 1,289 rushing yards this season in the first half of games.

A coy Dobbins smiled and asked rhetorically, “Why does it have to be a four-quarter game?”

Players definitely notice quotes like this. Saw Lamont Wade already had it re-tweeted. Hopefully add some more fuel to the fire.

I like the two TE unit in this game. Can chip Chase Young no matter which side he lines up on without getting fancy.

Our DL will have to play their best game. Back 7 can’t blow any assignments or it’s a TD this week

Not only that...

But a long sustaining drive, 4 yards here, 5 yards there, is the best way to beat them since

1) Winning the TOP keeps JF and their offense off the field, meaning they run less plays.

2) outside of Hamler we don't have a HR hitter anyway, so we may as well stick with the run and the short passing game and not go overboard with the low percentage pass plays in right windows down the field. Yes, you have to stretch the defense once in a while. But let's keep it that way -- do so on occasion. If it's 3rd and 3, let's not call for a sideline bomb. Keep moving the chains.

The two things that have to happen in order to be successful with this for methodical offensive approach: Odds are since you're running more offensive plays you'll have a better chance up turning the ball over, so we have to buck the odds (no pun intended) and not turn the ball over.

Secondly, gotta get at least 3-4 yards on first down, and have to convert on 3rd and shorts. Keep their defense on the field more than they're used to, and make OSU's offense more impatient when they get on the field.

Tall order, but that and crisp tackling on defense, while keeping everything in front of you (prevent the OSU quick strike) is the only path to victory.

Also our fast linebackers Parsons, Luketa, and Brooks -- one of them has to be spying Justin Fields.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT