ADVERTISEMENT

Game 1: Appalachian State, University Park, 3:30pm (BTN)

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...n-state-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Appalachian State Mountaineers
Head coach: Scott Satterfield (41-22, sixth year)

2017 record and S&P+ ranking: 9-4 (18th)

Projected 2018 record and S&P+ ranking: 8-4 (63rd)

Five key points:

1. It looked like App State had messed up the timing of its jump from FCS to FBS, but the Mountaineers stuck the landing as well as anyone since Marshall.
  2. Satterfield must account for a key loss on the coaching staff: defensive coordinator Nate Woody.
  3. He must also face life without Taylor Lamb, four-year starting quarterback.
  4. If the offense has a decent QB, it certainly has everything else. This might be Satterfield’s deepest collection of skill position talent.
  5. The remarkable depth of the 2017 defense should pay off now that a few front-seven starters have to be replaced. The secondary could be phenomenal.
Obvious QB questions aside, the Mountaineers return a ton elsewhere on the depth chart. Star running back Jalin Moore is back, and a receiving corps that had to lean heavily on freshmen last year (and survived doing so) now gets to lean on sophomores. All-conference left tackle Victor Johnson is back, and while there are a few pieces to replace in the defensive front seven, the secondary is loaded.

You still need a QB, though, and Zac Thomas gets first crack at the job. The sophomore led a garbage-time field goal drive against Georgia last year, but that’s about the extent of his experience. He appears to be pretty mobile, and co-coordinators Shawn Clark and Frank Ponce don’t appear to be changing much of the system.

If Thomas can’t cut it, there are other options. Sophomore Jacob Huesman and redshirt freshman Peyton Derrick have good size, and incoming three-star freshman Stephon Brown, at 6’5, 220, has great size. But the best-case scenario is probably that the third-year Thomas figures things out.

less than a month a way until opening kickoff. Unreal!
:) ;) :cool: :p :p :D :D
"For the Glory of Old State....

leahstill21.jpg

Nice! Now I need to find somewhere to watch it since my good friends at Xfinity decided to drop the BTN. :mad:
Our inept cable co. told us they won't carry BIG and never will. Our solution was to drop the cable & picked up Amazon fire TV, broard band internet & Play Station Vue.

Last edited:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...n-state-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Five key points:

1. It looked like App State had messed up the timing of its jump from FCS to FBS, but the Mountaineers stuck the landing as well as anyone since Marshall.
  2. Satterfield must account for a key loss on the coaching staff: defensive coordinator Nate Woody.
  4. If the offense has a decent QB, it certainly has everything else. This might be Satterfield’s deepest collection of skill position talent.
  5. The remarkable depth of the 2017 defense should pay off now that a few front-seven starters have to be replaced. The secondary could be phenomenal.
Obvious QB questions aside, the Mountaineers return a ton elsewhere on the depth chart. Star running back Jalin Moore is back, and a receiving corps that had to lean heavily on freshmen last year (and survived doing so) now gets to lean on sophomores. All-conference left tackle Victor Johnson is back, and while there are a few pieces to replace in the defensive front seven, the secondary is loaded.

You still need a QB, though, and Zac Thomas gets first crack at the job. The sophomore led a garbage-time field goal drive against Georgia last year, but that’s about the extent of his experience. He appears to be pretty mobile, and co-coordinators Shawn Clark and Frank Ponce don’t appear to be changing much of the system.

If Thomas can’t cut it, there are other options. Sophomore Jacob Huesman and redshirt freshman Peyton Derrick have good size, and incoming three-star freshman Stephon Brown, at 6’5, 220, has great size. But the best-case scenario is probably that the third-year Thomas figures things out.

tenor.gif

Five key points:

The things I've read have all said they should have an excellent Secondary. They have a CB that is a possible AA candidate. It will be a very good test for our new WR's.

hmmm... a 3:30 game and a relative newbie at qb. Ok.

Reactions: step.eng69
OTTOMH, I can't remember

OTTOMH, I can't remember a more interesting opener since the "Bear Down" boys from Arizona came to town (but I may be forgetting some..... any better ones in recent memory?)

My first pick would have been the UCF game and Franklin's first game in Ireland.
The second would have been the SU game in 2014.
I think this game falls in between.

Reactions: step.eng69
OTTOMH, I can't remember

OTTOMH, I can't remember a more interesting opener since the "Bear Down" boys from Arizona came to town (but I may be forgetting some..... any better ones in recent memory?)

2001 against Miami was a big one.

Although 2014 against UCF was probably the most interesting since it was played in Ireland against a BCS bowl winner. Plus the program felt like it was being reborn between Franklin’s debut, the hope of Christian Hackenberg, and the lifting of the sanctions.

Reactions: stormingnorm
$35 each direct from PSU yesterday, then sit wherever you want in the stands?

Yep, not sure how this will work. From the e-mail I received it seems like you will get your seat the day before, but it wasn't very clear how they are doing it.

Five key points:

Found this...
4. Right side of the O-line
App State had serious stability on the right side of its offensive line last season. But now, right guard Colby Gossett and right tackle Beau Nunn are gone. In their places will be a converted tight end who was formerly a defensive lineman (Baer Hunter) and a true sophomore (Matt Williams). Both bring promise — Hunter’s versatility is the reason coaches keep finding playing time for him, while Williams is 6-foot-5 and 285 pounds — and will be important in keeping the potent App State running game moving forward.

So a new(ish) QB, and a questionable right side of the O-Line in a 3:30 game at home.
I like our chances...

Here is the rest of the article.
https://www.journalnow.com/sports/a...cle_dd3b143d-5189-52ba-b03f-5aa6ec321c48.html

Five key points:

Here's a more indepth article.
From this article it looks like they lost a little more than the other articles mentioned.
Their LBR crew is going to be pretty new and they are concerned
about the size and depth of their DL.

https://collegefootballnews.com/201...-mountaineers-college-football-preview-2018/5

Our inept cable co. told us they won't carry BIG and never will. Our solution was to drop the cable & picked up Amazon fire TV, broard band internet & Play Station Vue.

So do you get the BTN through one of those? I hear it may be available through HULU and the wife has a subscription to it!

I would love to drop cable, but keep internet/wi-fi. And unfortunately the quickest interwebz connection around these parts is Xfinity/Comcast. The good news is Google Fiber is on the way!

So do you get the BTN through one of those? I hear it may be available through HULU and the wife has a subscription to it!

I would love to drop cable, but keep internet/wi-fi. And unfortunately the quickest interwebz connection around these parts is Xfinity/Comcast. The good news is Google Fiber is on the way!

We have xfinity/comcast for internet which is like $70 and then they throw in 40 channels and 10 hbo for $11 more. No sports channels though, so we still have to stream those.

I think App. St. will provide some tests, especially for our defense. But it's really hard to imagine a QB making his first career start against us on opening day having a ton of success. IMHO it's much more likely the opposite happens, that he has a pretty long day. But we'll see.

Just reading your post now, there are many reasonable options other than cable. Have to go to town now to visit my mother for the day. She's being taken care of by Hospice, so my wife and I spend a portion the weekend with her. I'm sure other members will chim in and offer good alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: indynittany

Just returned home...found this ....

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.co...h-big-ten-network-without-paying-cable-tv/amp/

How to Watch The Big Ten Network Without Paying For Cable TV

11c4fb847d420ba5b51fceed27bf31bd
Luke Bouma
9 months ago

The Big Ten Network was one of the first dedicated networks for one college conference. Now it is easier than ever to watch the Big Ten Network without the need to pay for traditional pay TV and get locked into a two-year contract.

Here is our guide to watching the Big Ten Network without cable TV:

Almost every live TV streaming service offers the Big Ten Network. Hulu, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, fuboTV, and DIRECTV NOW all offer the Big Ten Network.

Here are the cheapest options:

If you already have Hulu’s on-demand service you can add Hulu’s live TV servicewith the Big Ten Network for about $32 a month. This is a great deal for anyone who already has Hulu on demand.

If you are an AT&T Unlimited wireless customer you can get DIRECTV NOW for $25 a month after a $25 a month credit. (Typically $50 a month without the AT&T Unlimited wireless credit.)

DIRECTV NOW does offer a 7-day free trial to help you get started.

From there you will find YouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, and fuboTV to be your next best options. YouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, and fuboTV all offer a free trial allowing you to test out the service before you pay for it.

Looking for other channels? Check out our full live TV guide HERE to see how you can watch them.

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews.

Need cord cutting tech support? Join our new Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.

Reactions: AtlantaLion
We have xfinity/comcast for internet which is like $70 and then they throw in 40 channels and 10 hbo for $11 more. No sports channels though, so we still have to stream those.
I have DirectTV with over 200 channels, plus all the sports channels, plus HBO for less than that.

I'm not convinced App. State will be the team they were last year. They lost a lot of good players.

Defensively they do have an experienced secondary but their front seven will have four new starters and they're not big.Their NT is a senior and a good player but he's 275. He will be outweighed like 40 pounds. DEs Willis and Taylor are talented young players but they go 240 and 255-ish so they'll be outweighed by maybe 70 pounds. This D could be very quick but if the PSU OL is going to be improved as a run-blocking team, they should be able to show it against this front.

App. State can't play straight up against PSU's size so they'll keep their safeties up, stuff the run, crash the backfield every play and try to keep McSorley from running wild. PSU's receivers will have single coverage all day, so if the OL can give McSorley a clean pocket or a clean field to step up....

On offense they lost an all-conference QB, RT and RG. They return a solid left side OL and a very good running back.Their receivers look OK but they lost maybe their best one in the spring to injury. PSU should be able to physically handle them in the trenches, it will come down to PSU linebackers and new safeties playing positionally sound, not over-pursuing and tackling cleanly.

Anyway I'm not worried PSU will come in over-confident or over-conservative because that is not Franklin's way. They will come in aggressive and they can afford to be with all the experience on offense.

Right side of their OL is:

BAER HUNTER
6'2" 285 LBS

MATT WILLIAMS
6'5" 285

giphy.gif

Creating QB chaos

Penn State’s Beaver Stadium has a capacity of 100,000-plus.

It will make for a raucous environment for expected starting quarterback Zac Thomas, or anyone else for that matter, in the season opener on Sept. 1.

While App State can’t replicate the roar of a massive crowd like that, it can bring stifling defensive pressure in practices to make the Mountaineers quarterbacks uncomfortable.

Satterfield said the goal right now is to create chaos for the quarterbacks. And he’s hoping that current struggles will pay off with composure in the pocket.

“What we’re doing right now is we’re not game-planning versus our defense. We’re just calling plays, and I want to see how the quarterbacks react,” Satterfield said. “Sometimes when you call those plays, they’re not going to be good.

“So I want to see how a quarterback is going to react to it because in a game, we’re going to call some bad plays, and I want you to be able to not compound that bad play with a mistake.”

Right side of the O-line
App State had serious stability on the right side of its offensive line last season. But right guard Colby Gossett and right tackle Beau Nunn are gone. In their places will be a converted tight end who was formerly a defensive lineman (Baer Hunter) and a sophomore (Matt Williams).

Both bring promise — Hunter’s versatility is the reason coaches find playing time for him. Williams is 6-5 and 285 pounds — and will be important in keeping a potent App State running game moving forward.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/201...-valley-beginnings-sun-belt-boone-nc-football

Fresh off another bowl victory and co-champions of the Sun Belt in 2017, Appalachian State enters 2018 with new but intriguing faces in key spots, but also return some old faces too.

In 2017, we took a month-long path to previewing the 2017 campaign. In 2018, we will break the schedule down three games at a time.

900646474.jpg.jpg
Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images

Week 1: @ Penn State (2017 Record 11-2)
Before I begin here, may I just say thank god Saquon Barkley is in New York and not Happy Valley.

Appalachian will begin the 2018 taking on a Penn State team that feels like they are headed for another New Years Six bowl game with quarterback Trace McSorley calling the shots for James Franklin. The question mark on this Nittany Lion team will be on defense where they are having to replace nine starters from 2017. However, Appalachian State will be breaking in the successor to Taylor Lamb and all signs point to sophomore Zac Thomas.

Appalachian will also be breaking in a new defensive coordinator in this matchup and could possibly struggle early with the athletes that the Nittany Lions have all over the field. Everyone knows the tout going into this game will be 11 years since App shocked Michigan on the Big Ten Network. That is the network that will carry this game so tout will be of zero shortage.

Appalachian State will have to play a near perfect game, slow down McSorley and force turnovers to walk out victorious. But one must wonder with a lot of new question marks for this App State team if that will be enough.

Prediction: PSU 45 - App 17 (0-1)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT