ADVERTISEMENT

Gambit in Cleveland newspaper + trip comments.

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
f54b6817801c480793d2ce3db2027a2e.0.jpg

:)

Some comments/observations about my recent trip to Niagara Falls and Cleveland:

The Mariott Fallsview on the Canadian side of the falls was excellent. We had a room on the 17th floor and the view of the Falls was spectacular.

My wife and I had both been to the Falls before, years ago, but their majesty never fails to awe me.

Cleveland is an underrated city. Again, both of us have visited before, and we always enjoy the time spent there.

The Doubletree Lakeside was very good, but looking out our window and seeing Air Force One land at the airport across the way made the stay especially memorable.

Nearly all the hotel staff in Canada were white and nearly all in Cleveland were black, and yet the quality of service and hospitality in both were equal and 1st rate.

Despite the absence of Johnny Maestro (an injustice of the 1st magnitude), the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was very good and worth the trip. We spent over 3 hours there but could have easily spent all day. My wife and I both felt the was an over emphasis on more recent rock music at the expense of earlier eras, especially the Doo Wop era, but I guess that sells tickets. We ate lunch there. The prices were fair and the food above average. The bottom line. If you travel to, or near, Cleveland, take the time to stop. You won't be sorry. Oh, and tell them you came specifically to see the Johnny Maestro exhibit.;)

If a turd like Steve Perry is in the HoF there can be no good reason that Johnny Maestro isn't.
Johnny was a true gentleman and a great singer. Paul Simon and Billy Joel support his admission. It is long over due.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
If only Johnny Maestro had embraced the heart-shaped tub, this would have happened years ago. But no, he sneered at the entire concept, instead. Bad move, Johnny.
If you are not already selling them, you should be. :D

The Mariott Fallsview on the Canadian side of the falls was excellent. We had a room on the 17th floor and the view of the Falls was spectacular.

My wife and I had both been to the Falls before, years ago, but their majesty never fails to awe me.

Cleveland is an underrated city. Again, both of us have visited before, and we always enjoy the time spent there.

The Doubletree Lakeside was very good, but looking out our window and seeing Air Force One land at the airport across the way made the stay especially memorable.

Nearly all the hotel staff in Canada were white and nearly all in Cleveland were black, and yet the quality of service and hospitality in both were equal and 1st rate.

Despite the absence of Johnny Maestro (an injustice of the 1st magnitude), the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was very good and worth the trip. We spent over 3 hours there but could have easily spent all day. My wife and I both felt the was an over emphasis on more recent rock music at the expense of earlier eras, especially the Doo Wop era, but I guess that sells tickets. We ate lunch there. The prices were fair and the food above average. The bottom line. If you travel to, or near, Cleveland, take the time to stop. You won't be sorry. Oh, and tell them you came specifically to see the Johnny Maestro exhibit.;)
I agree that the Nation needs to unite and agree as to when “Rock” started as opposed to Do-Wop and many other precursory derivatives.

If I ever get a vote, mine will be for 1966 as being the dividing year between happy, go lucky “Doo-wop” music and a more darker, cynical music we now call “Rock”...or more appropriately with age “Classic Rock”.

I've heard the John Lennon part is very moving.

Reactions: fairgambit
I agree that the Nation needs to unite and agree as to when “Rock” started as opposed to Do-Wop and many other precursory derivatives.

If I ever get a vote, mine will be for 1966 as being the dividing year between happy, go lucky “Doo-wop” music and a more darker, cynical music we now call “Rock”...or more appropriately with age “Classic Rock”.
I understand your point, and it is not without merit, but it is moot. It's called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, not the "Rock" Hall of Fame. If you draw a line in the sand in 1966, please remove all artists after that date, start a "Rock Hall", and put Johnny Maestro in the one in Cleveland. :)

I understand your point, and it is not without merit, but it is moot. It's called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, not the "Rock" Hall of Fame. If you draw a line in the sand in 1966, please remove all artists after that date, start a "Rock Hall", and put Johnny Maestro in the one in Cleveland. :)
A very astute correction on your part. I am humbled with your ability to dissect, and summarily, correct my previous post.

Where does that leave us? I now feel that our exchange begs many further questions, such as
  • What exactly, is “Roll” music?
  • When did “Roll Music” actually begin and when did it end, if ever?
  • What exactly, is “Rock” music?
  • When did “Rock Music” actually begin and when did it end, if ever?

Last edited:
Reactions: bxle and fairgambit
A very astute correction on your part. I am humbled with your ability to dissect, and summarily, correct my previous post.

Where does that leave us? I now feel that our exchange begs many further questions, such as
  • What, exactly, is “Roll” music?
  • What, exactly, is “Rock” music?
The Hall makes an effort to trace the origins and evolution of Rock and Roll back to Blues, Jazz, Gospel..... They imply that the term had a sexual connotation before Alan Freed used it in a musical context. In any event, I am a doo-wop guy, but I left the Hall with a better appreciation of artists from other eras. That alone made the visit worthwhile.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy

• What, exactly, is “Roll” music?
  • What, exactly, is “Rock” music?

I would offer up two songs by two guys that could easily be in the RRHOF. First is from 1958. The second from 1962.

‘58 and ‘62 were when the songs first were out.
So we’re making progress on proving me (PPB) wrong.

Let’s return to normally scheduled programming....Gambit’s trek to the R&R HOF so that he appropriately shares his experiences

I have only one question for gambit. In the course of touring the RRHOF, did you happen to encounter the artist who “incentivized” you to “coronate your Córdoba”?

Last edited:
Reactions: bxle and fairgambit
So we’re making progress on proving me (PPB) wrong.

Let’s return to normally scheduled programming....Gambit’s trek to the R&R HOF so that he appropriately shares his experiences

I have only one question for gambit. In the course of touring the RRHOF, did you happen to encounter the artist who “incentivized” you to “coronate your Córdoba”?
I have to watch what I post. People may remember it.:eek:

Anyone who mocks Cleveland just hasn't been there and is basing it on stereotypes. I'd never been there until 2 years ago, and all my preconceived notions were wrong. Playhouse square is awesome if you're into the arts, 4th Ave and the West side of town are great for going out. The lake, the restaurants, etc are all awesome.

I just got to the Hall for the first time in January. Like you, I spent 3 hours there, but if I weren't there entertaining clients, I could've spent a full day easily.

Anyone who mocks Cleveland just hasn't been there and is basing it on stereotypes. I'd never been there until 2 years ago, and all my preconceived notions were wrong. Playhouse square is awesome if you're into the arts, 4th Ave and the West side of town are great for going out. The lake, the restaurants, etc are all awesome.

I just got to the Hall for the first time in January. Like you, I spent 3 hours there, but if I weren't there entertaining clients, I could've spent a full day easily.

We had visited Cleveland before, when my brother-in-law lived there. I really like the town and the people. As for the Hall, my wife is the type that likes to read every word of every exhibit. I have to keep moving her along. We'll be back in the hotel and she'll say something like "did you see what Janis Joplin said about tulips on the 2nd page of her diary?" I respond "Uh.....well....yes, the tulips. That was interesting". She responds "Did you even notice her diary?" I say "Honestly, no, but maybe if I had spent 20 minutes at her exhibit I would have." Fortunately she is not a violent woman.:)

A few years ago, on a whim, my wife and I spent a week in downtown Cleveland. Truly amazed at how nice, clean, and safe the downtown area was. Loved a bar called the Winking Lizard, even watched a Steeler-Browns game there, were served by a Steelers fan and enjoyed a truly friendly crowd.

. So your HOF would have no Chuck Berry.... try again.

A few years ago, on a whim, my wife and I spent a week in downtown Cleveland. Truly amazed at how nice, clean, and safe the downtown area was. Loved a bar called the Winking Lizard, even watched a Steeler-Browns game there, were served by a Steelers fan and enjoyed a truly friendly crowd.
We had heard great reviews about the Winking Lizard and intended to go there but ran out of time.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
ADVERTISEMENT