ADVERTISEMENT

Gambino boss' "house painted"

OK...why is it that people feel this is important to people living in different states? I am not trying to be difficult, but why should I care? Do you care the difference between Tremont and Ohio City?
If someone on the West Coast confuses Penn and Penn State, would it be wrong to point out the difference?

If someone on the West Coast confuses Penn and Penn State, would it be wrong to point out the difference?
To me, that is quite a difference. Do you care is someone talks about Cleveland heights versus University heights?

I’m not sure anybody said you should care. Somebody made the correction that it was Staten Island and not Long Island. I answered your question about what the difference was.
For the record, I was taken aback by the Gambino family boss living on Long Island. When I read that it was actually Staten Island it made more sense.

Edit: I do not particularly care about the difference between Tremont and Ohio City, but if you want to post it I will read it and be happy that I am informed about something that I was not previously knowledgeable about.

I lived in NYC for 20 years and grew up in CLE - what is rhe diff between Tremont and Ohio City? Inquiring minds...

surprised not posted yet. Frankie Boy Cali shot dead in front of his home on Long Island last night. First real execution of a top boss in several decades. No word yet on what happened to the connolis.

Cannolo_siciliano_with_chocolate_squares.jpg
Well, that'll have some effect on palm greasing for some of NYPD's finest.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Frank Sheeran, is that you???
"Na, I'm Rosario's guy, I'm only committed to him".

Sheeran Link for the full article:
http://www.americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_273.html

Bufalino began his criminal career while in his teens. His arrest record dates back to the mid-1920s with such charges as petty larceny, receiving stolen goods and conspiracy to obstruct justice. The first serious conviction was in 1977 when he served four years for extortion after threatening a witness, Jack Napoli, a con man, who owed $25,000 to a diamond fence with the Bufalino family. At the sit-down over the money, Napoli wore a wire to get the goods on Bufalino, and Bufalino complied by threatening to strangle Napoli if he did not come up with the cash. Jimmy “The Weasel” Fratianno was given the contract to whack Napoli, but he had disappeared into the Witness Protection Program and the hit failed. Russell was convicted. Furious over Napoli’s lack of honor in the diamond deal, the Quiet Don summed up his feelings in court: “If you had to deal with an animal like that, Judge, you would have done the same thing.”

Bufalino had a hand in many pies. His operational base was in Pittston, PA. In New York he had garment and trucking interests and made union deals. He extended the boundaries of his domain into upstate New York and New Jersey, and also was considered a behind-the-scenes major operator in the corrupt Teamsters union affairs, which made him an obvious suspect with the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa in 1975.

“He was old-school,” recalled a former police chief from the Pittston area, “a perfect gentleman. You wouldn’t know he had two dimes to rub together from looking at his house or the car he drove.” Even though the Quiet Don was a “shadowy” figure or probably because of that, the McClelland Committee on Organized Crime called him “one of the most ruthless and powerful mafia leaders in the United States.” And also deceptive and shrewd, because he escaped the fate of many mafiosi, living a long life and dying in bed.

Initially an MP in the army, Frank Sheeran volunteered for the infantry and fought in the bloody, slogging Italian campaign against fierce German resistance. A close witness to the horrors of war, he did not hesitate to shoot prisoners taken in combat. Orders were orders, was his rationalization. This conditioned him, by his own account, to view life as expendable, a cheap commodity. In war killing was the solution. This mindset apparently extended to the mob rubout: violence as a form of justice and retribution.

“Murdering our own was a fact of life. Nobody like doing it, but it was the only way to maintain control.” (Joseph Iannuzzi. Joe Dogs, 1993)

“You gotta do what you gotta do.” (Angelo Bruno, Philly capo, to Frank Sheeran before his first hit.)

“Somewhere overseas I had tightened up inside, and I never loosened up again. The war taught me how to control my feelings when called for. If you want to know how I felt…I felt nothing. You get used to death. You get used to killing. You lost the moral skill you had developed in civilian life. You developed a hard covering, like being encased in lead.” (Frank Sheeran)

“Remorse is something you could feel with Sheeran, but it’s something he had no vocabulary for.” (Charles Brandt recalling Sheeran as an old man.)

Bufalino called upon the Irishman many times to take care of business. There was the shooting of Crazy Joe Gallo at Umberto’s Clam House in Little Italy, New York City.

“I didn’t know who Russ had in mind, but he needed a favor and that was that. They didn’t give you much advance notice. I don’t look like a mafia shooter. I have very fair skin. None of these Little Italy people or Crazy Joe and his people had ever seen me before. I walked in the Mulberry street door where Gallo was. …A split second after I turned to face the table, Gallo’s driver got shot from behind. Crazy Joey swung around out of his chair headed toward the corner door. He made it through to the outside. He got shot three times. He had no chance of making it. Crazy Joey went to ‘Australia’ [Down Under] on his birthday on a bloody city sidewalk. They say that there were three shooters, but I’m not saying that. I’m not putting anybody else in the thing but me. If you do it yourself, you can only rat on yourself. An old-time Irish guy with a lot of combat experience was a benefit. Bufalino was able to provide for important matters like Gallo. The Commission always gave Russell anything really big.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT