ADVERTISEMENT

Gable vs Sanderson: Who’s the Better Wrestling Coach?

Well Gable had 35 scholarships per year and Carl uses Ira’s debit card to purchase national champions on the darkweb so I’m not really sure what the rest of this sentence should say.
I assume the end of this post should have had a :cool:

Will get a very unbiased answer on this board
If we are to be unbiased, Gable dominated his era as no other, but left many question marks about how ethically he behaved. Cael is dominating the current era with untouchable numbers and appears to be acting in very ethical way. Long term, Cael will likely be the GOAT.

Even Gable is impressed and realizes that all the other programs have to figure out how to win and have fun doing it. Clearly, the grind it out style takes a huge physical and mental toll on a wrestler. Cael and our great staff turn talented wrestlers into champions on and off the mat. His coaching tree will be unrivaled.

I hope Iowa especially learns this lesson. Watching Kem and the Bull was sad. College is a time learn who you are and hopefully peak in confidence and abilities as you move on help build a finer world for those who follow. At this, PSU wrestling excels.

Gable until proven otherwise.

What does proven mean.....probably another 4 year run at least.

I could care less about gables regional (B14s) success in a watered down team era.

I really think cael could be the GOAT coach but he needs more Nattys.....and .....pain for the field!

I could care less about gables regional (B14s) success in a watered down team era.

I really think cael could be the GOAT coach but he needs more Nattys.....and .....pain for the field!
This says it all.
Gable is it until Cael matches the 15. Once Cael claims number 16, Dan will be like a Buckeye. The best second placer ever.

Another thing to consider, Cael will almost certainly vastly exceed Individual Champs. Gable coached 45 National Champions total ... Cael is at 32 already at Penn State (34 including Iowa State) In an individual sport, that definitely has to be a factor for discussion.

It’s so hard to compare athletes and coaches from different eras. But Gable is definitely in the top five.

My vote for top five coaches of all time are in order starting with the best:

1. Cael Sanderson
2. Casey Cunningham
3. Cody Sanderson
4. Jake Varner
5. Dan Gable

Man I feel like a loser.....

Dan is 73 and his last year coaching was 1997. He was 48 and had 15 Natty's. Cael is 42 and has 9. If he wins the next six, he will be 48 with 15.

They are both friggen awesome. With a 31 year difference in age between Dan and Cael, the next amazing coach is 11 years old and John Smith says Hi

Reactions: mcpat
You guys need to show Dan Gable respect.. piss poor thread.
Agreed but it's not like Iowa shows Cael any. At least what this board accuses Gable of (scholarship manipulation), it has been proven. Iowa just throws any and everything on the wall with cheating accusations and hope it sticks.

As for the statue btw, it's Gable calling a stall on his own guy believe it or not.

It’s freakin awesome! I’m embarrassed to have not known!
Yup ... it looks bad out of context but it's awesome if you know.

"Gable repeatedly mentioned the significance of the words engraved at the base of the statue: “(No) stalling…execute…contribute forever…in sport and in life.” He said he was known to persuade officials to warn his own wrestlers for stalling, and if done at the proper time, it would help his Hawkeyes realize important principles."

From the article about the statue being unveiled: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2012/06/13/the-best-of-no-stalling-execute-contribute-forever/

Know you meant no disrespect. It's actually not a very well known thing I don't think. Some Iowa fans I've talked to didn't even know about it either.
Wellllllll....it might be.....because maybe.....just maybe....an Iowa guy stalled.....just...one time...mind you....one time....and gable happened to see it and was like yooooooo....

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssd

Ssssssttttttaaaaaaall)llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllling

Wellllllll....it might be.....because maybe.....just maybe....an Iowa guy stalled.....just...one time...mind you....one time....and gable happened to see it and was like yooooooo....

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssd

Ssssssttttttaaaaaaall)llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllling
Say what you want about their fans but Iowa coaches including both Tom Brands and Dan Gable have tipped their hat to what PSU is doing now. Brands even being willing to say he's jealous of what PSU just did at NCAAs. Their fans could learn a little humility like that.

Agreed but it's not like Iowa shows Cael any. At least what this board accuses Gable of (scholarship manipulation), it has been proven. Iowa just throws any and everything on the wall with cheating accusations and hope it sticks.

As for the statue btw, it's Gable calling a stall on his own guy believe it or not.
Blasphemy, saying an Iowa wrestler stalls!

Reactions: therod
It’s really a different sport now. Tough to compare the two. They’re both great, but gable is done. How much longer will Cael coach?

Reactions: therod
It’s so hard to compare athletes and coaches from different eras. But Gable is definitely in the top five.

My vote for top five coaches of all time are in order starting with the best:

1. Cael Sanderson
2. Casey Cunningham
3. Cody Sanderson
4. Jake Varner
5. Dan Gable
Agreeing with NCHawk55 about 40 year footprint and have to hand it to the Cyclones, of the top five greatest wrestling coaches of all time, pretty much agreed upon by most wrestling experts....all but one wrestled for Iowa State.
1. Cael Sanderson 2. Casey Cunningham 3. Cody Sanderson 4. Jake Varner 5. Dan Gable 🤗😁.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, I haven't cared too much for the toned down version of @johnstownsteel over at HR either. Everytime he posts I keep getting disappointed. How much longer until the season starts?

(😉 @JTS)
He has a brand new grandson. There is no way he can currently find the necessary attitude to post with his normal razor cutting edge.

Now that you mention it, I haven't cared too much for the toned down version of @johnstownsteel over at HR either. Everytime he posts I keep getting disappointed. How much longer until the season starts?

(😉 @JTS)
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT