ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW, Penn State #10 in Way-Too-Early Top 25

Let me know where we are the second week in October. By then, we will have 4 games under our belt and know what we & the rest of the Big 10 have as far as talent.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and LionJim
Michigan is the new Notre Dame - highly ranked every year preseason and then they fall on their face yet again.

That's nothing new for michigan. Maybe they will finally get the recognition they have earned, however.

Michigan State I think is going to be very good next year and so I can understand the hype for them, but I don't get Michigan at 11 even with Patterson. Until they get a new OL and new offensive staff they will continue to be underachievers.

Last edited:
Wisconsin is interesting. They play both PSU and Michigan. Their best OOC game is BYU. An easy schedule but more difficult than the free ride they got last year to the B1G championship game.

This is what makes college ball so fun; lots of turnover in players. We need some kids to step up at DT, LB and S. On offense, we are soft at TE. We also lost our OC, which will make the job filling for TE more challenging (do we go blocking or receiving?). I am comfortable at RB and WR, considering the graduations. With the talent we've brought in the last two years, I am optimistic. But we will be green in a lot of areas and inexperienced kids make mistakes.

The best news is that we have the best QB in the league and one of the best in the nation.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and JoeFi
Seems about right. MSU returns just about everyone and outside of the 3-9 fiasco they have won some games in recent years. PSU gets them at home so take care of business there and it doesn't matter. UM at 11 is a bit high IMO, but if they find a QB that team could be dangerous as they are returning quite a bit there too. I could see them starting out closer to 20 and climbing if they do manage to find an offense as they will have another solid defense. PSU at 10 is fair as people question whether or not it was the SB show and the entire secondary leaves along with 2 DT's and Cabinda. It actually shows how much respect JF has gotten when they are reloading and are a top 10 preseason team.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
I understand the issue with Michigan's ranking but Michigan State at 9 seems legit. I mean, the separation between 4-10 is minimal at best. Although I think Miami being that high is a bigger joke than Michigan at 11. Penn State could be 4 or 9 and I wouldn't complain...it's way to early to complain about how Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Penn State, Oklahoma and Washington are ranked. They should all be contenders for a playoff spot.

I understand the issue with Michigan's ranking but Michigan State at 9 seems legit. I mean, the separation between 4-10 is minimal at best. Although I think Miami being that high is a bigger joke than Michigan at 11. Penn State could be 4 or 9 and I wouldn't complain...it's way to early to complain about how Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Penn State, Oklahoma and Washington are ranked. They should all be contenders for a playoff spot.
Michigan is so high because the sportswriters don't want to admit that they were wrong about Harbaugh. It'll take another year before they actually change their official opinion,and that year will include every one of them writing a "what happened to Harbaugh" story so they can "forget" that they've been over rating him for years.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and royboy
Michigan is so high because the sportswriters don't want to admit that they were wrong about Harbaugh. It'll take another year before they actually change their official opinion,and that year will include every one of them writing a "what happened to Harbaugh" story so they can "forget" that they've been over rating him for years.

I said nothing about Michigan--confused by the reply. A legit said I understand the issue with Michigan's ranking. I disagree with your opinion of Harbaugh (he earned his rep at San Diego, Stanford and with the Niners) but I said nothing about Michigan. Michigan is high based on talent...see their classes before this year...and the possible addition of Shea Patterson not because writers don't want to be wrong about Harbaugh. Same reason Texas is ranked and Notre Dame. Talent--unproven talent but talent

I said nothing about Michigan--confused by the reply. A legit said I understand the issue with Michigan's ranking. I disagree with your opinion of Harbaugh (he earned his rep at San Diego, Stanford and with the Niners) but I said nothing about Michigan. Michigan is high based on talent...see their classes before this year...and the possible addition of Shea Patterson not because writers don't want to be wrong about Harbaugh. Same reason Texas is ranked and Notre Dame. Talent--unproven talent but talent
Wasn't meant as a slight on you. I was just commenting on the last post that mentioned Michigan as being over rated.

Harbaugh wore out his welcome at Stanford and the NFL. I give him props for setting up Stanford for success and leaving before it became untenable, but I can't see how anyone can call his stint with the 49ers a success. He may have had good results on the field but his ego driven power struggle devastated the team and they still haven't recovered. Same thing would have happened to Stanford if he hadn't left.

I didn't have a problem with Penn State being 10th, because that is within striking distance to get the invite to the playoff. All we have to do is beat tOSU and lose just one other game and I think we'd be in. That said, Michigan at 11 and MSU at 9 are both a stretch. I'd have them both in the top 25, but to put them in the category of Wisconsin and Penn State is crazy. Then again, it will give us more credence when we beat them.

I am happy to see those rankings and hope they stay true. With the pathetic effort our AD and leadership have done for many years regarding the scheduling of a non pansy team that is known throughout the college world (Pitt revived helps but we still need another P5 game every year IMO), we must depend on getting our SOS and style points from beating ranked teams within our own conference. So instead of dissing these lists, I embrace them.

I didn't have a problem with Penn State being 10th, because that is within striking distance to get the invite to the playoff. All we have to do is beat tOSU and lose just one other game and I think we'd be in. That said, Michigan at 11 and MSU at 9 are both a stretch. I'd have them both in the top 25, but to put them in the category of Wisconsin and Penn State is crazy. Then again, it will give us more credence when we beat them.
I agree. I think Penn State and Ohio State are both better than Wisconsin, Michigan and MSU, and I’d even put Michigan over MSU, to be honest. Wisconsin wont have the fortunate schedule they had last year, and I really don’t think MSU has the talent of the other three teams in the East.

Michigan is the new Notre Dame - highly ranked every year preseason and then they fall on their face yet again.
This will be the year Michigan outperforms expectations. All Harbaugh has to do is find a middling Division 1 QB and they could be very good. They have too much talent not to be.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Big picture here, folks -- Penn State is making preseason top 10s even after losing Barkley, Gesicki, Hamilton and half the defensive starters. That is quite a sign of respect. It's the sports writers' way of saying how much they respect Franklin and PSU's program.

And you can say the same thing about the high preseason rankings for Wisky and MSU. Those programs have been so consistently good the last 10 years, they get respect.

Really pretty amazing -- four of the top 11 teams from the B1G East.

I'll say it now: no way Wisconsin ends up #7 or better. Yes, they'll get their 300 yds/game rushing but I'm not impressed with Hornibrook and their D won't be as good. They'll have a rough day at the Beave.

I agree. I think Penn State and Ohio State are both better than Wisconsin, Michigan and MSU, and I’d even put Michigan over MSU, to be honest. Wisconsin wont have the fortunate schedule they had last year, and I really don’t think MSU has the talent of the other three teams in the East.
Don't sleep on Wisconsin. They have a very successful and repeatable formula. They may never win a national championship with that formula (they could), but it provides great assurance that they will be competitive every year.

Wisconsin's very good on paper. Maybe they won't duplicate the success they had last year but I don't think ranking them 7th is unreasonable. Honestly, after Clemson-Georgia-Bama I don't know how you could go wrong with Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State or even Washington after that. I do think the Big Ten could easily be 4-7 when the real poll comes out with Michigan in the top 12

This will be the year Michigan outperforms expectations. All Harbaugh has to do is find a middling Division 1 QB and they could be very good. They have too much talent not to be.

Michigan better have a whole lot of offensive talent that it was keeping under wraps last year because they were completely uninteresting on offense. And we flat out shredded their all-world defense so you'll forgive me if I ask them to actually, oh I don't know, win before I start shaking in my boots.

ADVERTISEMENT