ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW.....IF the Buccos can get past Arrieta

bjf1984

Sep 8, 2014
Cards got shut out in BOTH ends of the DH with the Braves

I know they rested a lot of regulars in game 2.....but they had 0 runs on 7 hits for the entire 18 innings.

Either the Buccos or the Cubs - I think - will roll the Redbirds.

Reactions: fairgambit
Maybe I don't know what you mean by "roll", but any of the three teams could win the five game playoff. The Birds pitching is too good to "roll" them. Pitching is dominant in baseball. I think the Birds will be in the series.

I thought the Pirates would take the last series against Redbirds (at least two out of three), Look how that turned out.

Maybe I don't know what you mean by "roll", but any of the three teams could win the five game playoff. The Birds pitching is too good to "roll" them. Pitching is dominant in baseball. I think the Birds will be in the series.

I thought the Pirates would take the last series against Redbirds (at least two out of three), Look how that turned out.

Cards got shut out in BOTH ends of the DH with the Braves

I know they rested a lot of regulars in game 2.....but they had 0 runs on 7 hits for the entire 18 innings.

Either the Buccos or the Cubs - I think - will roll the Redbirds.
They had zero incentive or edge in any of those games vs. Atlanta. That is exactly the type of series I expected after they clinched. They were resting and decompressing, so I wouldn't read anything into this. Meaningless. You saw what happened in Pittsburgh vs. Bucs. They did what the had to do.

Cardinals Pitching in September:

Starters: 130 IP 62 ER 4.15 ERA
Pen: 117 IP 52 ER 4.00 ERA

The numbers for the season are great......but last 6 weeks, among the worst in the league.

And its not like they were "cruising" through September. Every game was critical up until this Braves series.
AND
They had the easiest finishing schedule among the contenders

AND

No Martinez for the post-season
So they have top have both Lynn and Wacha in their post-season rotation.....and they both have been getting lit up the last month+ (combined WHIP of over 1.70).

Their "top 4" out of the pen have given up 21 ER in 39 IP this month.

AND

Oh, yeah, no Molina either

If it is the Cubs.......I bet they average 5+ runs per game (and maybe a lot more) against the Cards pitching.

All that great work from April through August allowed them to build up 100 wins and take the division.......but - right now - the have the shakiest staff in the post-season (at least on the NL side)

Reactions: fairgambit
You failed to mention two things:

1. Experience in the post season matters...a lot and
2. Will Wainwright be an x-factor...

Your facts are sound but post season baseball isn't just about the stats....

Wainwright may in fact be the X factor...when he's on, there's nobody better in baseball.

As for post season experience...how'd that work out for them last year?

I didn't "fail to mention" anything....I was responding to the comment about how "strong" the Cardinals pitching was.

They had zero incentive or edge in any of those games vs. Atlanta. That is exactly the type of series I expected after they clinched. They were resting and decompressing, so I wouldn't read anything into this. Meaningless. You saw what happened in Pittsburgh vs. Bucs. They did what the had to do.

You're right in the sense that the Cards had nothing to gain or lose once their series against ATL began. However, no team wants to go into postseason play on a three game losing streak, especially since they're going to face either the second or third best record in MLB, and either the best or second best (IMO) team in MLB.

I just hope it's our time to take down Arietta, because right now the Cubs are the hottest team going.

Cutch has been struggling. Hopefully he's 100% and the offense can generate something against Arrietta. I'll be there and hope it's a memorable night.

You're right in the sense that the Cards had nothing to gain or lose once their series against ATL began. However, no team wants to go into postseason play on a three game losing streak, especially since they're going to face either the second or third best record in MLB, and either the best or second best (IMO) team in MLB.

I just hope it's our time to take down Arietta, because right now the Cubs are the hottest team going.
Well, maybe Arietta's due for a down game. Let's hope and also hope Cole is lights out. Baseball can surprise us all at times.

They did what the Phils should have done in 2011--which would have kept the Cards out of the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT