ADVERTISEMENT

Future OOC schedules

nittanyjoe

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
This year we are going to hear a lot of criticism about our OOC schedule. Of course we will defend it with the "we were under sanctions" and "State College is in the middle of nowhere and the economy is addicted to the revenue" reasons. Next year our conference schedule will include 9 games and we will be in the Big Ten east a very reputable conference. If you listen to XM91 it seems much of the conversation has been on top teams expecting to play strong OOC schedules. With the possible exception of Pitt, it seems to me we need to move away from the Georgia States and the Appalacia States if we are going to return to the very top levels of college football. I think we need to add at least one brand name a year. I think there were rumors of adding Virginia Tech. Any others?

Va. tech and West Virginia are on future schedules after Pitt but don't expect any upgrade. I believe it's now better to hope Temple and Pitt become relevant to add to our strength of schedule.

Temple could have a decent program under Matt Rhule. Pitt doesn't rotate off for 5 more years and the cup cakes are contracted so don't expect any changes soon.

I propose that we play Temple, Pittsburgh and West Virginia on a rotating basis over a 6 year rotation.
Temple 2016 & 17
Pittsburgh 2018 & 19
West Virginia 2020 & 21

Repeat cycle. Still leave two games with other schools. Could have one every other year from another major conference.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I propose that we play Temple, Pittsburgh and West Virginia on a rotating basis over a 6 year rotation.
Temple 2016 & 17
Pittsburgh 2018 & 19
West Virginia 2020 & 21

Repeat cycle. Still leave two games with other schools. Could have one every other year from another major conference.

Not with a 9 game conference schedule and needing 7 home games to pay for all sports. That leaves 3 OOC games and only 1 of them can be a home/ away series. The other 2 become the home cupcakes -Akron, Coastal Carolina type games. The big ten needs to drop the 9 game conference schedule.

Assuming Michigan will be "Michigan" again in short order. ANY year we beat OSU, Michigan, MSU and a Nebraska/Wisconsin/Iowa we will be in the MNC playoff. In short the OOC schedule is always an interesting topic but not critical to a successful season. It would be fun to schedule a "name" opponent every year, Alabama, USC, UCLA, ND (especially ND), Texas, etc. I do NOT see WVU or PITT as name opponents. They are level 2 teams ;-) In short, beat them and it's "well, you should beat them", lose to them and "you lost to Pitt?"

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT