ADVERTISEMENT

Funny tidbits from the PSWC banquet.

creamery freak

Jul 26, 2014
I thought it would be great to start a thread on funny things said by the senior wrestlers or Coach Cael at the PSWC banquet this past Sunday. I'm hoping other guys that were in attendance will post something funny said or heard.

They always have Cael speak about the Seniors, and he does a great job with his dry sense of humor. Cael was talking about Nick Lee and saying how nice of a guy Nick was. Cael said Nick is so nice that in the NCAA final match he allowed his guy to escape just so the guy wouldn't get majored! The part that made it even more funny is he said it at least 2 more times while he was speaking. I'm kind of thinking Cael wanted the major more than Nick. The crowd chuckled every time he brought it up.

I just want to thank the core group of PSWC members that put on the banquet. That banquet was a first class operation and is super enjoyable. I was talking to CStar after the banquet and he said he had no idea how great this banquet would be. I think the wrestlers really enjoy it and I know as a fan it's awesome. My good friend Cheryl said this is better than the academy awards! At $35.00 for a family membership, everyone on this board that's a PSU fan should join. The PSWC gave PSU athletics a check for $100,000, to be used by the wrestling program.

I thought it would be great to start a thread on funny things said by the senior wrestlers or Coach Cael at the PSWC banquet this past Sunday. I'm hoping other guys that were in attendance will post something funny said or heard.

They always have Cael speak about the Seniors, and he does a great job with his dry sense of humor. Cael was talking about Nick Lee and saying how nice of a guy Nick was. Cael said Nick is so nice that in the NCAA final match he allowed his guy to escape just so the guy wouldn't get majored! The part that made it even more funny is he said it at least 2 more times while he was speaking. I'm kind of thinking Cael wanted the major more than Nick. The crowd chuckled every time he brought it up.

I just want to thank the core group of PSWC members that put on the banquet. That banquet was a first class operation and is super enjoyable. I was talking to CStar after the banquet and he said he had no idea how great this banquet would be. I think the wrestlers really enjoy it and I know as a fan it's awesome. My good friend Cheryl said this is better than the academy awards! At $35.00 for a family membership, everyone on this board that's a PSU fan should join. The PSWC gave PSU athletics a check for $100,000, to be used by the wrestling program.
Banquet was awesome. It was first one. That marks at least 7 years in a row that the PSWC has donated $100K or more to Penn State Wrestling. Next year the amount will almost certainly be higher.

So cael mentioned getting the major... I knew he read the board.

But is he agreeing or making fun of......
He was just busting on Nick but I think Cael wanted the major since Nick had it. That's just my opinion though.

When Nick gave his speech along with the other seniors, he did a great job. He sounded so much like Cael in the things he said. He mentioned being grateful for the opportunities he had. He said he doesn't want to take himself too serious. If there was anything he could have changed about his freshman year it would have been that. Those are a few that I remember.

I get two emails from Paypal every time someone renews or joins online so in the past few weeks I have received HUNDREDS of emails. That said it is MUCH easier for the club if you renew online vs sending in a check, which requires quite a bit of work on our part. All that said please keep them coming in whichever way works best for you. WE ARE PENN STATE

I get two emails from Paypal every time someone renews or joins online so in the past few weeks I have received HUNDREDS of emails. That said it is MUCH easier for the club if you renew online vs sending in a check, which requires quite a bit of work on our part. All that said please keep them coming in whichever way works best for you. WE ARE PENN STATE
Two more emails headed your way NoVa

I just want to thank the core group of PSWC members that put on the banquet. That banquet was a first class operation and is super enjoyable. I was talking to CStar after the banquet and he said he had no idea how great this banquet would be. I think the wrestlers really enjoy it and I know as a fan it's awesome. My good friend Cheryl said this is better than the academy awards! At $35.00 for a family membership, everyone on this board that's a PSU fan should join. The PSWC gave PSU athletics a check for $100,000, to be used by for the slush fund.
FIFY

Reactions: creamery freak
Sorry, drawing a blank on the wrestlers name, but he was one of the seniors that spoke, not in the starting lineup. He starts talking about how bright the lights are in Rec Hall and how they hurt the wrestlers eyes, the punch line was because of a bunch of bald heads on the coaching staff. Ended up being a below average joke, the way he delivered the punch line. Later, Cael goes up to speak and right away mentions the wrestler and his lame joke, then he looks over at Jeff Byers, the emcee, and says can he get a do over on that? We need to do something, because I was really embarrassed for the poor kid.😂

Last edited:
Glencoe, IL now represented.

Sorry, drawing a blank on the wrestlers name, but he was one of the seniors that spoke, not in the starting lineup. He starts talking about how bright the lights are in Rec Hall and how they hurt the wrestlers eyes, the punch line was because of a bunch of bald heads on the coaching staff. Ended up being a below average joke, the way he delivered the punch line. Later, Cael goes up to speak and right away mentions the wrestler and his lame joke and he looks over at Jeff Byers, the emcee, and said can he get a do over on that? We need to do something, because I was really embarrassed for the poor kid.😂
I believe it was Joey Blumer. The other Seniors that were up front were Nick Lee, Creighton Edsell, Austin Hoopes, Mason Manville, Levco Higgins, Jake Campbell and RBY. Creighton and RBY can come back and the good news is RBY didn't give a speech.

I ran into Jake Campbell at the Creamery. I told him how well he did with his speech. His Father said it was the first time he was at the Creamery this year. Cael mentioned Jake as one of the non starters that kept his weight certified for 125 all season and he was always available to fill in if needed. Cael was very appreciative of his efforts and I got to give these backups props too. They not only prepare our starters but make sacrifices to be ready for the team if needed.

Sorry, drawing a blank on the wrestlers name, but he was one of the seniors that spoke, not in the starting lineup. He starts talking about how bright the lights are in Rec Hall and how they hurt the wrestlers eyes, the punch line was because of a bunch of bald heads on the coaching staff. Ended up being a below average joke, the way he delivered the punch line. Later, Cael goes up to speak and right away mentions the wrestler and his lame joke and he looks over at Jeff Byers, the emcee, and said can he get a do over on that? We need to do something, because I was really embarrassed for the poor kid.😂
Blumer.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I believe it was Joey Blumer. The other Seniors that were up front were Nick Lee, Creighton Edsell, Austin Hoopes, Mason Manville, Levco Higgins, Jake Campbell and RBY. Creighton and RBY can come back and the good news is RBY didn't give a speech.

I ran into Jake Campbell at the Creamery. I told him how well he did with his speech. His Father said it was the first time he was at the Creamery this year. Cael mentioned Jake as one of the non starters that kept his weight certified for 125 all season and he was always available to fill in if needed. Cael was very appreciative of his efforts and I got to give these backups props too. They not only prepare our starters but make sacrifices to be ready for the team if needed.
Funny. Knew Joe Blumer The Elder through my GF (and mother of my daughter) and South Halls in the mid-80’s. I think he was one year ahead of Mickey Morandini at Leechburg.

Reactions: creamery freak
Funny. Knew Joe Blumer The Elder through my GF (and mother of my daughter) and South Halls in the mid-80’s. I think he was one year ahead of Mickey Morandini at Leechburg.
I was in South Hall, Beaver to be exact, Fall of 81 through Spring of 86, though actually the last year they moved Beaver from South to a different dining hall. I worked at Redifer dining hall for most of the listed years.

I was in South Hall, Beaver to be exact, Fall of 81 through Spring of 86, though actually the last year they moved Beaver from South to a different dining hall. I worked at Redifer dining hall for most of the listed years.
533 Beaver in ‘82-83. If I remember the history this was the year after the guys on 7th floor sent a piano down the elevator shaft. Many of them relocated to my floor the next year. True?

202 Beaver fall 81-spring 83, Wilkes-Barre branch campus 83-84, then 319 Beaver 84-86. Changed major from Aerospace Eng to Econ so spent a year at the branch campus to save some money. Probably served some of you some food in those years.

and I am sure I passed Cowbell over my head a few times!

202 Beaver fall 81-spring 83, Wilkes-Barre branch campus 83-84, then 319 Beaver 84-86. Changed major from Aerospace Eng to Econ so spent a year at the branch campus to save some money. Probably served some of you some food in those years.

and I am sure I passed Cowbell over my head a few times!
Get this. I started as a 4.0 student in AERSP, then partied, parents narrowly survived a head-on in Boalsburg in the big March 1984 storm on the way to see me, accidentally conceived a child, eventually got things turned around by working thru a year at York, then did my my ultimate major in one year with a 3.9. That major was … ECON.

Get this. I started as a 4.0 student in AERSP, then partied, parents narrowly survived a head-on in Boalsburg in the big March 1984 storm on the way to see me, accidentally conceived a child, eventually got things turned around by working thru a year at York, then did my my ultimate major in one year with a 3.9. That major was … ECON.
Wow, pretty similar track for me without the head on or conceiving a child. I went 6 years, could have pushed through in 5.5 but figured I was having fun and doing well so why push it.

4th floor beaver 1984-1986. Dining hall for Beaver switched between 84/85 and 85/86. South halls 84/85 and then pollock halls. Next year they made 4th floor co-Ed so we had to move as an upperclassman. I went to Atherton for last two years.

4th floor beaver 1984-1986. Dining hall for Beaver switched between 84/85 and 85/86. South halls 84/85 and then pollock halls. Next year they made 4th floor co-Ed so we had to move as an upperclassman. I went to Atherton for last two years.
Yep, I had to eat at Pollock then go work at Redifer, it was annoying.

also, do you remember a day that the elevators happened to be full of hay one morning?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT