ADVERTISEMENT

Fun wrestling experiment

zzs006

Mar 27, 2017
If you could take 1 kid from any program and add them to PSU who do you take? Can be just for this year or for the next 4. Just interested to see what names come up. I’ll give you my top 3

1) Keegan O’Toole- Definitely my number 1 choice. When I watch him wrestle it reminds me of the best PSU kids of the past 8-9 years. I see a lot of DT, Nolf, and Nickal in him. Pinning machine and isn’t afraid of giving up a takedown or 2 because he knows he can outscore you or pin you. Absolute pleasure to watch and I think he’s only a freshman eligibility wise

2) David Carr- So quick and dynamic. I also love how he carries himself on and off the mat. Seems like a genuinely good kid and an absolute killer on the mat.

3) Vito Arujau- This spot is a bit more difficult. PSU is so stacked at certain weights so all kinds of kids are eliminated except maybe at 133 and 141 where this is Nick Lees last year and possibly RBYs as well. That said, I just really love watching Vito wrestle. I think he is probably the second quickest wrestler around behind RBY and he can also hand-fight with the best of them. He is fun to watch because he has 2 very distinct styles and speeds and he switches between within a single match. I think he is a better freestyler but is damn good at folk as well. I really wanted to see him vs Spencer but a match with Suriano will be fire as well.

I’m interested to hear who others pick. I kind of expect a lot of Carr and Keegan because PSU has holes at those weights but I’m sure there are a lot of good choices out there.

Ayala. Give me a true freshman in his 3rd open tournament that is thrown to his back, down 7-0 after two, has significant riding time against him and then scores 14 in the third period against a kid ranked 12 to take 3rd at the scuffle.

I still want Robbie and Beau. I’m sure they’ll work out who wrestles what weight.

If you could take 1 kid from any program and add them to PSU who do you take? Can be just for this year or for the next 4. Just interested to see what names come up. I’ll give you my top 3

1) Keegan O’Toole- Definitely my number 1 choice. When I watch him wrestle it reminds me of the best PSU kids of the past 8-9 years. I see a lot of DT, Nolf, and Nickal in him. Pinning machine and isn’t afraid of giving up a takedown or 2 because he knows he can outscore you or pin you. Absolute pleasure to watch and I think he’s only a freshman eligibility wise

2) David Carr- So quick and dynamic. I also love how he carries himself on and off the mat. Seems like a genuinely good kid and an absolute killer on the mat.

3) Vito Arujau- This spot is a bit more difficult. PSU is so stacked at certain weights so all kinds of kids are eliminated except maybe at 133 and 141 where this is Nick Lees last year and possibly RBYs as well. That said, I just really love watching Vito wrestle. I think he is probably the second quickest wrestler around behind RBY and he can also hand-fight with the best of them. He is fun to watch because he has 2 very distinct styles and speeds and he switches between within a single match. I think he is a better freestyler but is damn good at folk as well. I really wanted to see him vs Spencer but a match with Suriano will be fire as well.

I’m interested to hear who others pick. I kind of expect a lot of Carr and Keegan because PSU has holes at those weights but I’m sure there are a lot of good choices out there.
I'd take Suriano back (without the asshole old man, so Nick can focus completely on wrestling). Cael and Cody working with him with him on his offense would be sweet! The battles with Lee would be legendary!

Excellent list. I love O’Toole but would probably put Carr just ahead of him.

1 yr: Carr, Wick, Yianni, Suriano, Steveson

4 yrs: O'Toole, Kharchla, Feldman, Byrd. If not for our roster: Keckeisen, Carter Young, Rocky Elam

In between: Carr, O'Toole, Arujau, Fix, Andonian
I like Keckeisen a lot as well. Kind of feel bad for him that he’s at the same weight as AB. Kid is good enough to win a national title but I don’t see that happening as long as AB is around

Reactions: creamery freak
Sammy Sasso.

Signed,
@Callthestall
Actually my first choice would be Carr.

In regards to Sasso, he would of solidified that weight for 4-5 years. Might never win title but a top 4 guy from Pennsylvania. I will always tend to favor recruiting the top PA kids. In my eyes I would like to see a Penn State team made up of 5 PA kids and 5 National Recruits. I know that a stud is a stud from wherever he's from. It's just personal preference.

Actually my first choice would be Carr.

In regards to Sasso, he would of solidified that weight for 4-5 years. Might never win title but a top 4 guy from Pennsylvania. I will always tend to favor recruiting the top PA kids. In my eyes I would like to see a Penn State team made up of 5 PA kids and 5 National Recruits. I know that a stud is a stud from wherever he's from. It's just personal preference.
If I could have 10 Bo Nickals or 10 Jason Nolfs, either way they are Penn Staters and I am good with it.

If it’s one year only, it’s gotta be from the areas of most need, 157 or 165. Given that, I’d say:
1. David Carr
2. Evan Wick
3. Shane Griffith

As a side note, before Griffith decided to stay at Stanford last year, was there ever a point when he was close to transferring to PSU? Just curious.

There would be so many factors to consider. 1. Do you try to get a long term guy over a guy to help you win just this year? 2. Do you make sure and pluck the guy from a serious threat to your team chances this year? 3. Simply take best available talent? I would take O'tool or Carr from pure talent and years remaining as well as need weight if I were PSU. Drake would hurt Iowa, but they have another very good 125 coming next year and would still be solid at that weight. Taking kennedy would hurt Iowa far more than taking Drake. If Carr or o'tool were suddenly at PSU this year there would be little discussion about who the team champions would be this season barring major injury/covid BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: zzs006 and PSU Mike
Gotta be O’toole or actually Ferrari right? If you’re taking non psu wrestlers. With the extra year. Unless this is a one year exercise.

On the mat, the impact would be limited, obviously. But off the mat, it would be immense.

My answer is Spencer Lee.

Reactions: dbldoofus
I would choose 4 more years of RBY and Nick Lee. Does that count?
giphy.gif

Ed Scott… partly to get a power house DuBois District IX boy in our line up ;) as well as to see what Cael et alii could have done to develop him into a stud! Alas… sadly he went off to the Wolfpack.

Gotta be O’toole or actually Ferrari right? If you’re taking non psu wrestlers. With the extra year. Unless this is a one year exercise.
Greater chance of Ferrari joining Gundy in some rattlesnake roundup videos.

I was walking with a friend in a local park recently and my phone rang from the guy who attends matches with me called me to inform me Penn State was Wrestling in Florida.

I told him I knew thanks to you guys and of course the schedule. I hung up and the guy I'm working with said he has a Friend whose son, actually twins are good wrestlers. My walking friend works Nationally and had a second house in the San Diego area.

I thought ok here it comes another wrestler that is supposed to be a world beater. I probably never heard of this kid. Then my friend said the twins wrestle for Wisconsin. Next he said his friend's name was Bill Wick.

I thought Oh Shyte! Then told him the Penn State drama.

Therefore I pick Evan Wick.

I was walking with a friend in a local park recently and my phone rang from the guy who attends matches with me called me to inform me Penn State was Wrestling in Florida.

I told him I knew thanks to you guys and of course the schedule. I hung up and the guy I'm working with said he has a Friend whose son, actually twins are good wrestlers. My walking friend works Nationally and had a second house in the San Diego area.

I thought ok here it comes another wrestler that is supposed to be a world beater. I probably never heard of this kid. Then my friend said the twins wrestle for Wisconsin. Next he said his friend's name was Bill Wick.

And it took you this long to find that out? Get nosier, we need good sources!

Reactions: 7brwnpsu

You could have said, hey your fiend Bill Wick's Wife use to frequent our board and was my friend so there's that! :)

And he has mature man muscle. Stick him in at 197 or whatever weight you want. He might be about to out-pose Morgan McIntosh
Swain had the spot at 90 something and dropped to 70 something to get to shute.

If shute can go 165 we should place a call.

Reactions: mcpat
I am still wondering if we couldn't have gathered together enough NIL money on this board to pay $xx,xxx (enough to make attending PSU for 1 semester only - let's say make it worth his while) for signed Evan Wick pictures. Transfer credits be damned. In a crisis we need to be more creative people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT