ADVERTISEMENT

FTB Film Study -- The Mike Yurcich Offense

I agree CJF is doing what he thinks is right in order to get past OSU and into the playoffs. Personally I think we are going to need to catch lightning in a bottle to get, keep and perform with a top talent at QB to get over the hump. Once we prove we can beat OSU more consistently and maybe make the playoff a couple of time, recruiting gets slightly easier since success breeds success. The odds of doing that increase with a top QB, undoubtedly the most important position on the field. Fields could have been that guy. Franklin was in on him early but once he got everyone's attention we couldn't keep him and to rub salt in the wound he transfers to a conference rival.

I don't think we'll ever get there by mimicking Bama's approach. I don't think we have enough support top to bottom with the boosters, the university and athletic department resources to do that. I noticed CJF made a comment on the Fox "watch party" last night about how Bama has this support everywhere and is fully committed to winning. I'm not sure if his comments were trying to send a subtle message or not, but even CJF recognizes that things are different there.

+100

Not sure who backs up whom since the WR's seem to be interchangeable.
You'll need to be specific as to your size of "bigger, athletic WR's".
Almost everyone of our WR's not named Dotson or Washington are 6' or more.
Malick Meiga is 6'4".
IMO we have the bodies and the size we just need to see if they can check the rest of your boxes.
I'm really interested to see what Meiga brings to the table next year.
Not to mention what the new OC is going to be able to do with them which is probably more important than their size.
And we just had 2 really pretty big WR's that didn't do as much as Dotson or Washington.
Maybe “ physical “ is a better term than “ big “.
Hamilton was only about 6’1” but played close to 220 one season. He could manhandle smaller CB’s.
Godwin as well, although he was more athletic and a bit lighter. Blacknall was also physical and of course, ARob was.
Obviously, these guys were not common assets. They were difference makers for us.
Washington isn’t tall, but he’s a bit over 200 lbs and very quick. He’s more like an RB and more of a problem to get on the ground than he might appear. KLS really could have benefitted from a RS. I think he could be a very different player for us next season if his S & C goes well.
Dotson is decent at making contested catches, but that’s not his primary thing. He’s the guy with precision routes, great hands and speed.
We could really use a couple of guys who can make contested catches. I think it would show up most significantly in our Red Zone offense. The fact that we have a lot of scholarship WR’s who have not or have barely played in the last two seasons makes me think we don’t have anybody like this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT