ADVERTISEMENT

FTB Film Study -- The Mike Yurcich Offense

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
Yurcich Offense Film Study

Man, he's even got a 2012 Shippensburg play in here. Talk about thorough haha. I also liked that he strictly did Oklahoma State stuff afterward, since there have been some rumblings on here that 2020 Texas wasn't the true Yurcich offense. I know it's a honeymoon period -- and we all said the same thing 12 months ago -- but there's a lot to love here. Hurry up Tempo. Deep Shots (something Clifford can actually do). It'll be interesting to see how quickly the OL adjusts to a wide zone run scheme...weren't Moorhead, Rahne, and Ciarrocca primarily inside zone guys? Is the learning curve super steep for something like that?

Great video. Does anyone have any idea how quarterback-friendly the new system will be? COVID seemed to be a popular explanation as to why the Ciarrocca offense looked so awful through 7 games, really. I wonder if it was more than that...that maybe the offense wasn't one-size-fits-all for Clifford and Levis

I just hope he is able to put in his system instead of being force to run a version of Moorehead's offense which looks like what happened last season. Or maybe since there was no spring practice, they weren't able to institute Ciarocca's offense and just went with what the players already knew due to limited practice time? Either way, just hope it is better.

The film doesn’t show any TE’s, just H - backs. It’s a small sample size, and Yurcich was the passing game coordinator at tOSU, so I am sure he would know how to employ TE’s.
It would be in our interests to utilize our TE’s because I think we arguably have the best bunch in the BIG while our WR ranks are kind of thin.

Last edited:
The film doesn’t show any TE’s, just H - backs. It’s a small sample size, and Yurcich was the passing game coordinator at tOSU, so I am sure he know how to employ TE’s.
It would be in our interests to utilize our TE’s because I think we arguably have the best bunch in the BIG while our WR ranks are kind of thin.

That's a problem IMO. KC had the same issue. We had Pat F, the best TE in the BIG but he really didn't fit into KC scheme. We tried to force feed Pat the ball. KC offense looked way better when Pat went down and in the passing game we started to run what KC wanted to run. We do need some speed at WR, hopefully we can pick one or two up in 21/22 classes

The film doesn’t show any TE’s, just H - backs. It’s a small sample size, and Yurcich was the passing game coordinator at tOSU, so I am sure he know how to employ TE’s.
Eh, at wide receiver we've got a guy who will be talked about on preseason All-American teams, and a freshman who played really, really well for us. I think we've got two of the best returning wide receivers in the conference coming back, and my hopes are still really high for KLS assuming he actually gets a full offseason to add strength.

Reactions: 19333lion
Our WR group is significantly more accomplished than our TE group

Not really- we're returning WRs that had 52, 36 and 15 catches last year. There are not a lot of programs that are returning that level of production, or returning their top 3 WRs
Who backs up Dotson and Washington ?
We also really don’t have a bigger, athletic WR that can make plays.

Agreed Cjrugger...depth isn't the problem. If anything at WR the issue (if it's an issue) is redundancy of skillsets/physical attributes. Dotson, Washington, KLS seem like small shifty guys -- good small shifty guys. It worked for the 2008 offense -- Williams, Butler and Norwood all felt like the same type of player. But man, I'd love a bigger guy added to the mix -- a Juwan Johnson (but who actually catches the ball). Any of the incoming freshmen fit this mold? White Jr. is like 6-2 right? Would love to see Theo Johnson slim down and perhaps morph into a big Jurevicius-esque receiver in this offense...if that's even possible.

currently they're backed up by a redshirt junior and a redshirt senior. Please show me who all these teams are that go 6 deep at WR with players that have 20+ catches

Pretty sure Dotson can make plays

currently they're backed up by a redshirt junior and a redshirt senior. Please show me who all these teams are that go 6 deep at WR with players that have 20+ catches

Pretty sure Dotson can make plays
Top two are good and KLS has potential but claiming we are six deep with proven wr’s is a huge stretch.

Reactions: 83wuzme
Agreed Cjrugger...depth isn't the problem. If anything at WR the issue (if it's an issue) is redundancy of skillsets/physical attributes. Dotson, Washington, KLS seem like small shifty guys -- good small shifty guys. It worked for the 2008 offense -- Williams, Butler and Norwood all felt like the same type of player. But man, I'd love a bigger guy added to the mix -- a Juwan Johnson (but who actually catches the ball). Any of the incoming freshmen fit this mold? White Jr. is like 6-2 right? Would love to see Theo Johnson slim down and perhaps morph into a big Jurevicius-esque receiver in this offense...if that's even possible.

I don't really understand the infatuation with big bodied receivers. I don't mean to direct this at you Cjrugger, but more of a generalized statement. I suppose the benefit is having guys that can outjump the DB for tough catches. Does that happen all that much? It certainly has not at PSU, granted our "big" receivers typically were coupled with bad hands and slow(which again, minus some real freaks, probably describes quite a few WRs over 6"4). We have Big talented TE's, so I suppose we could throw our patented fade routes to them in the red zone. Outside of that, give me small, good hands, quick route runners that get open and separate. I'm sure OSU for example has really big WR's, but do they beat you with size specifically? No, great route runners, catch everything, offense that gets them open and protects the QB.

I don't really understand the infatuation with big bodied receivers. I don't mean to direct this at you Cjrugger, but more of a generalized statement. I suppose the benefit is having guys that can outjump the DB for tough catches. Does that happen all that much? It certainly has not at PSU, granted our "big" receivers typically were coupled with bad hands and slow(which again, minus some real freaks, probably describes quite a few WRs over 6"4). We have Big talented TE's, so I suppose we could throw our patented fade routes to them in the red zone. Outside of that, give me small, good hands, quick route runners that get open and separate. I'm sure OSU for example has really big WR's, but do they beat you with size specifically? No, great route runners, catch everything, offense that gets them open and protects the QB.
Agree- Chris Godwin is 6'1 and he made exponentially more tough/contested catches than any of the 6'4 WRs we've had

Reactions: BBrown and hlstone
Agree- Chris Godwin is 6'1 and he made exponentially more tough/contested catches than any of the 6'4 WRs we've had

Yeah, I mean, Hammler too. If you had to really rank the qualities in an ideal receiver, what would you priorities be? I know mine would like like:

1. Great Hands
2. Fast/Quick
3. Great Route Runner
4. Good Moves, YAC
5. Tough
6. Good Blocker on the perimeter

7. Tall

Reactions: BBrown
We're not 6 deep- I was saying no one is 6 deep as 83wuz is trying to imply
Where did I imply this ?
We don’t really have anybody behind Dotson and Washington at this point. It’s not just a matter of putting somebody out there if one of them is unavailable. It’s putting somebody out there who can maintain a significant amount of their production. Maybe an incoming freshman or transfer can fill that role. But it does not appear that we have that kind of option on the current roster.
We also don’t appear to have a bigger body type WR who can get 50 : 50 balls. So, no fade routes, please.

Where did I imply this ?
We don’t really have anybody behind Dotson and Washington at this point. It’s not just a matter of putting somebody out there if one of them is unavailable. It’s putting somebody out there who can maintain a significant amount of their production. Maybe an incoming freshman or transfer can fill that role. But it does not appear that we have that kind of option on the current roster.
We also don’t appear to have a bigger body type WR who can get 50 : 50 balls. So, no fade routes, please.
Nobody does. No college team has 3 back up WRs that have experience and game production. It’s an unrealistic standard

Nobody does. No college team has 3 back up WRs that have experience and game production. It’s an unrealistic standard
Would you rather have Daniel George, Cameron Sullivan - Brown and T.J. Jones or tOSU’s backup WR’s on your roster ?
That’s what this is about. JF wants to challenge them.

Last edited:
Would you rather have Daniel George, Cameron Sullivan - Brown and T.J. Jones or tOSU’s backup WR’s on your roster ?
That’s what this is about. JF wants to challenge them.
Not even sure what you’re arguing anymore. I thought we were talking about depth, I guess you’re just talking about recruiting star ratings.

I’m not worried about the ‘21 WR group and am really excited for the new offense

So I think its important to make Yurcich understand who is in charge from the beginning. What do we want? Is he to make the players fit his system or make his system fit the players?

Not even sure what you’re arguing anymore. I thought we were talking about depth, I guess you’re just talking about recruiting star ratings.

I’m not worried about the ‘21 WR group and am really excited for the new offense
tOSU loses one of their starting receivers and they put in Julian Fleming.
That is quality depth and we don’t have that now.

tOSU loses one of their starting receivers and they put in Julian Fleming.
That is quality depth and we don’t have that now.
Ah ok. So we need 5* backups at all positions. I’ll inform the coaching staff

Ah ok. So we need 5* backups at all positions. I’ll inform the coaching staff
Are you saying that our current backup’s have the same potential as the starters ?
I suppose we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this.
I think there is a pretty steep dropoff after Dotson and Washington, although KLS has potential.
Franklin wants to challenge tOSU, and he brought in a new OC with a system that emphasizes WR play.
Unless and until we pile up more talent, and diverse types of threats at WR, I expect our offense to be limited and unable to compete with the likes of tOSU.

Last edited:
Are you saying that our current backup’s have the same potential as the starters ?
I suppose we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this.
I think there is a pretty steep dropoff after Dotson and Washington, although KLS has potential.
Franklin wants to challenge tOSU, and he brought in a new OC with a system that emphasizes WR play.
Unless and until we pile up more talent, and diverse types of threats at WR, I expect our offense to be limited and unable to compete with the likes of tOSU.
I mean, is your point that Penn State doesn't have as much talent as Ohio State? That's absolutely true, it's been true for decades, and it's not changing any time soon. And that's across every position on the field.

I mean, is your point that Penn State doesn't have as much talent as Ohio State? That's absolutely true, it's been true for decades, and it's not changing any time soon. And that's across every position on the field.
Why do you think JF replaced Ciarrocca after one year ?
Do you think JF is serious about playing for a championship ?
What team most stands in our way ?

I think JF is serious about trying to challenge tOSU because that best explains his actions and statements. I have put out the assertion that we are pretty far away from this at WR on the roster. Even though Dotson and Washington are good players with NFL potential, they are about all we have now. If JF brings in a guy like Yurcich, it seems obvious that for his system to work, we are going to need a significant infusion of WR talent.

I think JF is serious about trying to challenge tOSU because that best explains his actions and statements.
I agree CJF is doing what he thinks is right in order to get past OSU and into the playoffs. Personally I think we are going to need to catch lightning in a bottle to get, keep and perform with a top talent at QB to get over the hump. Once we prove we can beat OSU more consistently and maybe make the playoff a couple of time, recruiting gets slightly easier since success breeds success. The odds of doing that increase with a top QB, undoubtedly the most important position on the field. Fields could have been that guy. Franklin was in on him early but once he got everyone's attention we couldn't keep him and to rub salt in the wound he transfers to a conference rival.

I don't think we'll ever get there by mimicking Bama's approach. I don't think we have enough support top to bottom with the boosters, the university and athletic department resources to do that. I noticed CJF made a comment on the Fox "watch party" last night about how Bama has this support everywhere and is fully committed to winning. I'm not sure if his comments were trying to send a subtle message or not, but even CJF recognizes that things are different there.

I think JF is serious about trying to challenge tOSU because that best explains his actions and statements. I have put out the assertion that we are pretty far away from this at WR on the roster. Even though Dotson and Washington are good players with NFL potential, they are about all we have now. If JF brings in a guy like Yurcich, it seems obvious that for his system to work, we are going to need a significant infusion of WR talent.

No doubt, there is only one explanation for CJF going after Yurcich and once he got the yes from Yurcich firing Ciarrocca.... and that's that he really wanted Yurcich in the first place but didn't get a yes last year coupled with not being impressed with Ciarrocca's work in his 1st year. Keep in mind, Yurcich was still in the employ of UT when the hire was announced and the firing of Ciarrocca was announced simultaneously. Again, this suggests to me that either Yurcich reached out to Franklin, or vice-versa, that there was a change of heart on Yurcich's part in regards to taking the PSU OC job and joining CJF's Staff.

How many backup 5* WRs did he have at Oklahoma State? Would you say his system worked there?

How many backup 5* WRs did he have at Oklahoma State? Would you say his system worked there?
I think we will just have to agree to disagree about how good our current WR backup’s are and whether it matters to the success of PSU.
I also think that JF wants to significantly upgrade the passing offense as part of an effort to take aim at another BIG Championship. For this to happen, PSU is going to need something closer to the numbers and abilities of playmakers at WR to what we had in 2016 and 2017.

We have decent numbers at WR on the roster and in the pipeline but it's impossible to gauge the quality beyond Dotson and Washington and possibly Keandre Lambert-Smith.

Not sure who backs up whom since the WR's seem to be interchangeable.
You'll need to be specific as to your size of "bigger, athletic WR's".
Almost everyone of our WR's not named Dotson or Washington are 6' or more.
Malick Meiga is 6'4".
IMO we have the bodies and the size we just need to see if they can check the rest of your boxes.
I'm really interested to see what Meiga brings to the table next year.
Not to mention what the new OC is going to be able to do with them which is probably more important than their size.
And we just had 2 really pretty big WR's that didn't do as much as Dotson or Washington.

Reactions: bison13

+100. We just had 2 pretty big WR's that transferred out and neither of them set the world on fire on their new teams.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT