ADVERTISEMENT

From pin chains to robes to black shirts?

Why even use the "osu". Let's just call them "THE©".
Not picking on you Cali, but I'm going to use this to drop a quick crash course on IP symbols and the difference between copyright and trademark because everyone gets it wrong.

© = copyright = "an original work of authorship" fixed in a "tangible medium" for which some degree of creativity is required. Books, articles, recordings, etc. A single word or phrase cannot be copyrighted, as a matter of law.

™ = unregistered trademark
® = registered trademark (preferred b/c you can collect statutory money damages)

Trademarks are signs and symbols, which can be words, representing companies or products.

So "THE" could be a registered trademark, in theory at least, but it could never by copyrighted.

The PTO shot it down for different reasons but the hurdle to trademarking "THE" (beyond tOSU's flawed application) is that the term is so broad and common as to be meaningless as a signifier of anything except what it otherwise is: an article. So a successful trademark application would have to show its use as highly contextual and specific, so that the public can immediately associate it with tOSU as distinguishable from "the" as an article.

Didn’t the pin chain have it’s own twitter account, and a metal case it was supposedly carried around in?

I wonder what closet it is stuck in now....

The metal case was referred to as The Pin Briefcase. :)

It came out about a year after Miami Football started the "Turnover Chain," where defenders got to wear a gaudy pimp-style chain if they forced a turnover. Ryan was trying to motivate his "team of the millennium" to be more like big brother PSU with regard to bonus points. Snyder did get significantly more pins than he usually did for a while there (against lesser competition), but it fizzled out (spectacularly so w/ Martin vs. Bo, I suppose).
They are hip. Heard in another attempt to stay trendy that after weigh-ins the team will go to the nearest grocery store to lick ice cream.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
Not picking on you Cali, but I'm going to use this to drop a quick crash course on IP symbols and the difference between copyright and trademark because everyone gets it wrong.

© = copyright = "an original work of authorship" fixed in a "tangible medium" for which some degree of creativity is required. Books, articles, recordings, etc. A single word or phrase cannot be copyrighted, as a matter of law.

™ = unregistered trademark
® = registered trademark (preferred b/c you can collect statutory money damages)

Trademarks are signs and symbols, which can be words, representing companies or products.

So "THE" could be a registered trademark, in theory at least, but it could never by copyrighted.

The PTO shot it down for different reasons but the hurdle to trademarking "THE" (beyond tOSU's flawed application) is that the term is so broad and common as to be meaningless as a signifier of anything except what it otherwise is: an article. So a successful trademark application would have to show its use as highly contextual and specific, so that the public can immediately associate it with tOSU as distinguishable from "the" as an article.

I put the copyright symbol on purpose. Yes, I know they could never actually copyright "THE". :)

(Thanks for the write-up though.)

Reactions: tikk10
I put the copyright symbol on purpose. Yes, I know they could never actually copyright "THE". :)

(Thanks for the write-up though.)
Well, I've seen very smart people use them interchangeably, but I actually figured you were kidding. For me the issue is like your/you're (*shakes fist at Dunke*) so I jumped on the opportunity anyway.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Whatever they need to pump their guys up, I am just glad our group does not require gimmicks for motivation. But it's all in fun as it's suppose to be.

Reactions: danoftw
Well, I've seen very smart people use them interchangeably, but I actually figured you were kidding. For me the issue is like your/you're (*shakes fist at Dunke*) so I jumped on the opportunity anyway.

I just assume Dunke is making fun of HR when he does that. ;)

Reactions: dunkej01
I came across a photo of the alternative choice tOSU wrestling gods were considering when they settled for black shirts. I'll post it on here if someone could tell me how to do that!

I came across a photo of the alternative choice tOSU wrestling gods were considering when they settled for black shirts. I'll post it on here if someone could tell me how to do that!
In blast from the early-oughts, Rivals doesn't let users "host" images on their servers. It seems silly to me--storage is soooo much cheaper than it used to be--though I suppose some liability issues remain.

But anyway--you need to find an online image hosting service that suits you. I've used imgur.com to moderate success (you have to embed images as "media"--the film icon instead of the image icon on the post toolbar--they don't support animated gif files, for which I use giphy.com). Once you have an account set up, and your image hosted elsewhere, you just need to copy the URL to it (those services make it pretty easy w/ buttons), then follow Rivals' instructions here.

It's a bit of a pain at first, but not too bad once you get accounts set up. Others may have other image services to recommend that are less finicky than imgur has become (it was great, but now you have to embed it w/ imgur branding all around the photo).

In blast from the early-oughts, Rivals doesn't let users "host" images on their servers. It seems silly to me--storage is soooo much cheaper than it used to be--though I suppose some liability issues remain.

But anyway--you need to find an online image hosting service that suits you. I've used imgur.com to moderate success (you have to embed images as "media"--the film icon instead of the image icon on the post toolbar--they don't support animated gif files, for which I use giphy.com). Once you have an account set up, and your image hosted elsewhere, you just need to copy the URL to it (those services make it pretty easy w/ buttons), then follow Rivals' instructions here.

It's a bit of a pain at first, but not too bad once you get accounts set up. Others may have other image services to recommend that are less finicky than imgur has become (it was great, but now you have to embed it w/ imgur branding all around the photo).
Thanks Nerf.
I'm officially exasperated and more inclined to believe that you CAN'T teach an old dog new tricks. But I've not totally given up yet.

Thanks Nerf.
I'm officially exasperated and more inclined to believe that you CAN'T teach an old dog new tricks. But I've not totally given up yet.
if this is just a one off thing make it your avatar for a day so we can see it.

ADVERTISEMENT