ADVERTISEMENT

Bats, sharks, bears, and now this" Alligators! Almost take a man's head off in Florida! Snorkeling folks. Updated: Add coyotes!

TheGLOV

Gold Member
Newsweek

Alligator Bites Man's Skull, Pulls Him Down in Florida River: 'Like a Propeller to the Head'​

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...xecuted-innocent-man/ar-AAKDrBD?ocid=msedgntp
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...e-voting-rights-wars/ar-AAKCPEj?ocid=msedgntp

A Florida man is recovering after he was bitten on the head by an alligator while diving for shark teeth in the Myakka River.

a close up of a reptile: Alligator with jaws open wide at Everglades National Park. Jeffrey Heim, 25, was bit on the head by an alligator while diving in the Myakka River on Sunday.
© unclegene/iStock / Getty Images Plus Alligator with jaws open wide at Everglades National Park. Jeffrey Heim, 25, was bit on the head by an alligator while diving in the Myakka River on Sunday.
Jeffrey Heim, who is 25 and from Tampa, was attacked on Sunday, May 30, while searching for fossilized Megalodon shark teeth in the river in southwestern Florida—which he told NBC 2 is something he does often.

Heim, a commercial spear fisherman, said that while diving, he came "up for a breath and I felt like I got hit by a boat going 50 miles an hour. Felt like a propeller to the head and it pulled me down."

He added that he quickly realized the pain did not come from hitting his head against a boat, explaining: "I look up and the gator's just looking at me about 4 feet in front of me.

"Then he started coming at me. I just learned from dealing with sharks, you don't wanna act like prey so you don't wanna move too fast. So, I started slowly moving away."

Heim was released from Sarasota Memorial Hospital on Monday and told WTFS in an interview afterwards that he had been bitten on his head and one of his hands. His skull was fractured and 34 staples were needed to close the wound.

Despite his injuries, Heim told NBC 2 he felt "lucky" that he was not more severely injured: "I'm lucky it didn't death roll. I'm lucky it didn't get an arm, or a hand, or my face, or my neck, or my leg, or literally anywhere else."

He added that his skull was strong enough to protect him from the full power of the alligator's teeth, explaining that "he hit me right in the perfect spot."

Heim added to WTFS: "Because of the bite force on those animals, he could have got me anywhere else and I would have died."

The 25-year-old has set up a GoFundMe page to help pay his medical bills and has already raised more than $2,300 of the $6,000 goal.

In the description for the fundraiser, Heim wrote: "Any share of this link or donation would help us pay for medical costs while I'm currently not able to work until my head stops bleeding."

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission told NBC 2 that a licensed nuisance trapper would work to remove the gator, as is the agency's policy following attacks on humans.

Heim blames himself for the incident, saying: "I was in its territory. I didn't weigh the risk to the rewards. Technically it's gator mating season, so this was probably a female protecting her eggs."

Newsweek has contacted the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for comment.

Reactions: psu00
You just don't swim in Florida rivers or lakes for this exact reason. That guy was indeed VERY lucky.

My parents, back in the mid-70's, almost bought a house on one of those Florida canals in/around Orlando and Disney World. Maybe Jupiter area, not sure.

One selling point was the floating dock and sliding board that kids could play on and swim to in the canal.

The alligator populations and attack, was extremely low.

Then the bleeding hearts too over.

My parents, back in the mid-70's, almost bought a house on one of those Florida canals in/around Orlando and Disney World. Maybe Jupiter area, not sure.

One selling point was the floating dock and sliding board that kids could play on and swim to in the canal.

Well, you never know. Could be that there are no gators in a specific lake but how can you tell? Many of the canals down here in south Florida are connected to each other-- so gators can get around.

Reactions: ftlpsu and TheGLOV
I dove in the Cooper River for Megalodon teeth. Found some too No gators that day, evidently and unbeknownst to me at the time, there were the day before
Only guy I ever knew that was bitten by a gator was a golf ball diver. He thought the gator was on the other side of the lake, but he came at him fast. Got him on the arm.

Do you ever leave your house? Seems like you're the bleeding heart scaredy-cat posting about gators and sharks.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV
Just wait until I post articles attacking cave spelunkers!

Those folks are going to go nuts!!!

:) ;) :eek: ;) :)
Well, I gotta give it to Florida for their beaches. Nice white sand beaches. But holy shiat are there a lot of bull sharks swimming in the shallow waters right near shore. Especially on the gulf side.

California has no shortage of sharks, and the local population of white sharks has apparently been growing. But the white sharks patrolling just behind the breakers at some SoCal beaches appear to be largely juvenile white sharks, which pose a much lower risk to humans. Notwithstanding that, I am not inclined to do a whole lot of body surfing or boogie boarding out there, like I did when I was younger.

Last edited:
Nice try but Camden only has sewer gators.
Everybody knows the northeast has quite a large population of gators and crocs living in the sewer systems.Also lots of track rabbits to eat along with the occasional human.😜

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT