ADVERTISEMENT

From a buckeye

BuckI4life

Dec 6, 2002
Hey all! I’m a buckeye — went to OSU for 8 years during the Cooper era. I’ve always had a soft spot for Penn State - I really liked Paterno. I was at an OSU/PSU game at PSU when you won and Paterno passed Bowden for the most wins. I was bummed OSU lost, but it was a cool moment.

Anyway, I just visited your board because I wanted to see if you all handle losses the same way we do. Looks like you do. I tell ya, football is frustrating. Only one team wins it all each year, and every other team winds up upset at some point. I’m having a hard time enjoying this season because OSU looks so awful — they survive and advance, but it truly looks like it is only a matter of time before our lack of an elite offensive or defensive line catches up with us.

So, I guess i’m saying get used to it. Now that you are a competitive team there is frustration every year you don’t win the NC. Which is almost all of them. I think your team has been impressive overall. Good luck moving forward, especially against Michigan!

Don't bring rationality over here....most won't like it!

You ae exactly right in your comments and it helps to have perspective. Coming from where we were just about 3-4 years ago PSU looks to be in a
very good spot for a long time to come.

Hey all! I’m a buckeye — went to OSU for 8 years during the Cooper era. I’ve always had a soft spot for Penn State - I really liked Paterno. I was at an OSU/PSU game at PSU when you won and Paterno passed Bowden for the most wins. I was bummed OSU lost, but it was a cool moment.

Anyway, I just visited your board because I wanted to see if you all handle losses the same way we do. Looks like you do. I tell ya, football is frustrating. Only one team wins it all each year, and every other team winds up upset at some point. I’m having a hard time enjoying this season because OSU looks so awful — they survive and advance, but it truly looks like it is only a matter of time before our lack of an elite offensive or defensive line catches up with us.

So, I guess i’m saying get used to it. Now that you are a competitive team there is frustration every year you don’t win the NC. Which is almost all of them. I think your team has been impressive overall. Good luck moving forward, especially against Michigan!
Thanks...wins aren't as good if you don't have some losses.

Good news is, tickets will be cheaper and more available toward year end and the bandwagon jumpers will go back to rooting for the Eagles and Steelers again.

Hey all! I’m a buckeye — went to OSU for 8 years during the Cooper era.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all! I’m a buckeye — went to OSU for 8 years - wouldn't you be called a Doctor then?

Reactions: bison13

Thanks for the rational post. You are 100% correct. When we had no chance at a NC, a few losses didn't hurt so much. So we are getting back to where JVP had us competing every year in the 70's and 80's.

Hope you don't get horsesht replies from haters. Unfortunately, that generally happens when an opposition fan tries to extend an olive branch. Good luck going forward, (except for recruiting)

You're acting like this is the first time PSU is accustomed to being a top 10 team. Those of us that have been fans for a while are used to these sort of expectations. It makes the losses sting more when you're ranked higher, and particularly when losing winnable games. Life goes on for both the fans and the team and they still have my support. The board always sucks after a loss.

Hey all! I’m a buckeye — went to OSU for 8 years - wouldn't you be called a Doctor then?
Had a fraternity brother who was on that plan. It was fun to rib him by saying his name and then "class of 1985, 86, 87 AND 88"!

You came all the way over here to say, "get used to it", nicely?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Phil's Rug
$hit, maybe my grand kids are dumber than rocks, the oldest also has 6 1/2 years invested, but is taking a break and working construction in NYC this past summer & this semester
LOL...everyone makes choices and has a path. My wife was a flight attendant out of high school. She did that for several years before deciding to go to college. As an FA, she got her BS and Masters degrees. After we met, she got her PhD then he JD (lawyer). She never really started her education until she was close to age 30.

Reactions: step.eng69
Oh sorry — I guess the 8 year thing is ... um ... entertaining? I got my BS in Chemical engineering, worked for a year, then got my MD. I’m sure 8 years of undergrad would have been enjoyable, but I’m sure my parents would have found something more constructive for me to do if I tried to travel down that road!

I know Penn state has been good in the past. I remember my freshman year you beat OSU by something like 64 points. I guess my points were more relevant to younger fans.

Anyway, our series is becoming a string of instant classics. They are amazing games for the rest of the country to watch, although personally I preferred it when you weren’t quite so strong!

Oh sorry — I guess the 8 year thing is ... um ... entertaining? I got my BS in Chemical engineering, worked for a year, then got my MD. I’m sure 8 years of undergrad would have been enjoyable, but I’m sure my parents would have found something more constructive for me to do if I tried to travel down that road!

I know Penn state has been good in the past. I remember my freshman year you beat OSU by something like 64 points. I guess my points were more relevant to younger fans.

Anyway, our series is becoming a string of instant classics. They are amazing games for the rest of the country to watch, although personally I preferred it when you weren’t quite so strong!

We’s just hacking on ya.

Reactions: nits74
We’s just hacking on ya.
Can't miss a Young Guns moment....

John Tunstall: Congratulations, Charles. You and Steven will be doing the dirty crockery alone this evening.

Charley Bowdre: Sorry, John. It just struck me funny.

John Tunstall: And to William, both of you.

Charley Bowdre: Apologies, Billy. We was just hacking on you.

"Dirty Steve" Stephens: Yeah, we was just hacking on you.

Richard Brewer: Rumor has it you killed a man, Billy. You don't seem like the killing sort.

"Dirty Steve" Stephens: Yeah, Billy. What'd you kill him for?

William H. Bonney: He was hacking on me.

Get over it people, we not an elite team or great team, we are just a good team and until we get some elite players nothing will change. We only have good players on this team not elite or great. We need football players not 4 or 5 star players, but real football players

Can't miss a Young Guns moment....

John Tunstall: Congratulations, Charles. You and Steven will be doing the dirty crockery alone this evening.

Charley Bowdre: Sorry, John. It just struck me funny.

John Tunstall: And to William, both of you.

Charley Bowdre: Apologies, Billy. We was just hacking on you.

"Dirty Steve" Stephens: Yeah, we was just hacking on you.

Richard Brewer: Rumor has it you killed a man, Billy. You don't seem like the killing sort.

"Dirty Steve" Stephens: Yeah, Billy. What'd you kill him for?

William H. Bonney: He was hacking on me.

Glad someone got it! :D Love that movie.

My other favorite line - ‘Pugilist.’

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Thanks for stopping by buck4life and good post. It seems that so many so-called Penn State fans have lost their heads and perspective. Somebody has to win, somebody has to lose. I no longer take Penn State losses as hard as I once did, having experienced some painful ones through the years, and I realize how hard it is to go undefeated and win a national championship, but I remember the injustices forever.

Ohio State, perhaps more than any other school, has suffered heartbreak when the talent would have indicated that Ohio State was the better team and perhaps on its way to a national championship: The loss to Michigan in ’69; Cooper’s undefeated teams in ’93, ’95 and ’96 that inexplicably lost to Michigan at season’s end; the loss to Nick Saban’s 28-point underdog Michigan State squad in ’98 in Columbus and the losses to Michigan State in ’13 and ’15.

Penn State went undefeated four times (in ’68, ’69, ’73 and ’94) and was not named national champion! It takes a great deal of luck and everything to go right for it to happen. As you saw with Ohio State in 2002 with quite a few close games decided in the final minutes against lesser opponents, and, I might add, with the help of an very late bogus PI call by an official against Miami.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/5-worst-officiating-decisions-college-football-history

Some have pointed out that perhaps next year’s Penn State team will make a serious run at the college football playoff but then scheduling will work against us when we’ll face Ohio State and Michigan State on the road like last year making the task more difficult than playing both at home. Had the 2017 Penn State team had this year’s schedule, the stars may have aligned right for Penn State last year. Realizing that, I’m happy with a 10-win season unless the talent and schedule warrants better but I try be realistic and I didn’t see us competing for a national championship this season.

I saw on the Buckeye boards that last year’s two-loss season raised some questions about Meyer’s coaching last year particularly the bad loss to Oklahoma at home, the blowout at Iowa and the 31-0 defeat to Clemson in the playoff the year before. That was three bad losses in a span of 10 games. Fans tend to overreact.

Quite a few of our games against Ohio State have become classics ’05, ’08, ’16 and ’17 immediately come to mind. I don’t list ’14 as we were robbed by Big 10 officials that purposely enabled Ohio State to remain a one-loss team to make the cfb playoff.

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/10/25/7071291/ohio-state-interception-gif-penn-state

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...rg-interception-big-ten-refs-suck-blown-calls

When I made a trip to East Lansing in ’99 and Michigan State prevailed, I heard a Spartan fan say, “Welcome to the Big 10 Penn State where we all beat up on one another.” That seems somewhat true and Ohio State has clearly been the best at remaining above the rest of the Big 10. Were it not for Ohio State beating Michigan in ’16, with a great spot on Barrett’s run, ha ha, Penn State doesn’t win the Big 10 title that year.

Funny, how calls seem to go Ohio State’s way or non-calls as the case often is:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...te-holding-big-ten-game-first-time-since-2013

ADVERTISEMENT