ADVERTISEMENT

From 5 years ago: "WANDERINGS: Penn State Trustees and NCAA are Sinking"

And I will never forgive or even, give the benefit of the doubt to the NCAA. Never, until the admit they made a mistake with Joe and tarnished his reputation. So, I guess we are at a standoff.
They restored the wins. Beyond that there's nothing That's ever going to happen. But eventually Emmett will be gone.

I don't like the NCAA either.

What they did to PSU and Paterno was criminal. They got away with it because they extorted PSU with the consent decree. I am sorry, it is not that they "made a mistake." I mean, its like a drunk person running a stop sign and saying "oops, sorry, I made a mistake". Not good enough.

I will never forgive the NCAA until they publicly apologize. I personally am fine with college football going away. I'll miss PSU football, but not the NCAA. In fact, I'd say if someone came to be and said 'Would you trade college football for the demise of the NCAA?" I'd tell you every day of the week and twice on sunday.

There is no doubt that we started taking more "chances" in the 2000's.
Or lost touch. People are people. The players in that era thought they could get away with anything. And nobody will ever be able to explain why basically everything got a pass, but when Dan Connor made the equivalent of an "is your refrigerator running?" Phone call to Joe Sarra, Paterno brought the hammer down harder than almost any other time that decade

I'm not hearing about that many disciplinary issues under Franklin, and when they do arise he seems to just deal with it and hand out suspensions. Pretty simple

They restored the wins. Beyond that there's nothing That's ever going to happen. But eventually Emmett will be gone.
I do not rule out a future apology by the NCAA. It took nearly 200 years for the US Government to apologize to Native Americans, but they did. It took less time, over 45 years, for the US Government to apologize to Japanese Americans for their treatment in World War II, but they did. Other examples, both in and out of govenment, abound. Now, I fully understand that the NCAA is not the US Government, but if it can happen in Washington DC, it can happen in Indianapolis.

Where were you during the 2000s? It may not have been "win at all costs" (as there was not consistent winning) but discipline was breaking down all over the place. That staff was losing their ability to keep the team in line and their decisions were getting kind of bizarre. (I.e., playing guys facing assault charges while benching someone half a season for a prank phone call.)
I was watching and my memories don't conflict with my opinion in this thread.
I don't know your age, memories, or critical thinking abilities, but I remember:
a) a recruiting strategy twice in flux. If the recruiting gurus were
to be believed, the program was in the running for many national recruits, including the QB Simms and a number of NFL prospects who left us at the altar for whatever reason. Their plan Bs at many positions were major multiple steps backward. Again if I remember correctly, that was when Joe re-emphasized recruiting regionally within a 200 mile radius of State College
b) as far as athlete misconduct, Rashard Casey was not only found innocent, but receiving a substantial financial settlement over the situation.
I remember few or anyone who sided with Paterno for his support of Rashard (against charges from what proved to be wife-cheating off duty policeman) and fewer questions from the press when he read Rashard's thank you note in his weekly press conference
I think the LB Connor (if that is who you are referring) recovered to be in the top 5 for career tackles. In my opinion, but maybe not yours, crank calls to a coach aren't the acts of a team leader.
Joe (over-)disciplined and publicly chewed out many in his tenure. I particularly remember his year suspension of Bobby Engram, sorry not from the 2000s, for 'borrowing' a teammate's stereo. I don't know but would think Engram eventually appreciated this tough love, maybe as much as Michael Robinson did in his painful Penn State career where Joe predicted he would be an NFL All-Pro as a secondary position.
I wonder if the current team's bounce back would have been quicker had their coach had the courage (I believe Joe would have had) to bench Hackenberg for at least a few series.
Even with these issues, they still had 2 very good teams and were on a possible Big 10 conference championship game his last year.
Everyone has their opinions, memories, and values; feel free to express yours. I value recalling the team's journey from my being a Pitt fan but a Penn State student in the lat 70s through the pretty glorious 80s (especially when I look at the piece of goal post I have from the 83 Pitt game), and even the uneven 90s and 2000s.

You don't ignore threads that annoy you, you ignore threads that you don't care about. This thread is annoying.
You are a strange dude. You intentionally seek out stuff that annoys you in order to try end end the annoyance. Yes, indeed, that is perfectly logical behavior :rolleyes:

Do you also beat yourself on the head with a stick to remind yourself that pain hurts? That is the level of (il-)logic you have in this instance.

I don't like the NCAA either.

Just put all these posters in this thread on block/ignore and that way these threads won't be seen by you and thus not bother you. You're changing no ones opinion here and doing nothing but cluttering up this thread with your drivel. Do everyone in this post and block everyone and everyone will be better off including you

I was watching and my memories don't conflict with my opinion in this thread.
I don't know your age, memories, or critical thinking abilities, but I remember:
a) a recruiting strategy twice in flux. If the recruiting gurus were
to be believed, the program was in the running for many national recruits, including the QB Simms and a number of NFL prospects who left us at the altar for whatever reason. Their plan Bs at many positions were major multiple steps backward. Again if I remember correctly, that was when Joe re-emphasized recruiting regionally within a 200 mile radius of State College
b) as far as athlete misconduct, Rashard Casey was not only found innocent, but receiving a substantial financial settlement over the situation.
I remember few or anyone who sided with Paterno for his support of Rashard (against charges from what proved to be wife-cheating off duty policeman) and fewer questions from the press when he read Rashard's thank you note in his weekly press conference
I think the LB Connor (if that is who you are referring) recovered to be in the top 5 for career tackles. In my opinion, but maybe not yours, crank calls to a coach aren't the acts of a team leader.
Joe (over-)disciplined and publicly chewed out many in his tenure. I particularly remember his year suspension of Bobby Engram, sorry not from the 2000s, for 'borrowing' a teammate's stereo. I don't know but would think Engram eventually appreciated this tough love, maybe as much as Michael Robinson did in his painful Penn State career where Joe predicted he would be an NFL All-Pro as a secondary position.
I wonder if the current team's bounce back would have been quicker had their coach had the courage (I believe Joe would have had) to bench Hackenberg for at least a few series.
Even with these issues, they still had 2 very good teams and were on a possible Big 10 conference championship game his last year.
Everyone has their opinions, memories, and values; feel free to express yours. I value recalling the team's journey from my being a Pitt fan but a Penn State student in the lat 70s through the pretty glorious 80s (especially when I look at the piece of goal post I have from the 83 Pitt game), and even the uneven 90s and 2000s.

You are bringing up stuff from before the real problem period. It was not the Casey stuff that I was referring to. A certain player who started a bowl game in 2003. A coach's son who played after a DUI around the same time that a prank call, which probably should have led to extremely minimal discipline, was treated as unforgivable. The players who broke into an apartment and beat people up

What they did to PSU and Paterno was criminal. They got away with it because they extorted PSU with the consent decree. I am sorry, it is not that they "made a mistake." I mean, its like a drunk person running a stop sign and saying "oops, sorry, I made a mistake". Not good enough.

I will never forgive the NCAA until they publicly apologize. I personally am fine with college football going away. I'll miss PSU football, but not the NCAA. In fact, I'd say if someone came to be and said 'Would you trade college football for the demise of the NCAA?" I'd tell you every day of the week and twice on sunday.
I agree that they had no legal authority to do what they did. They clearly overstepped their boundaries.

Reactions: Obliviax
Although it was awfully nice of the NCAA to train Freeh's people to conduct a child safety investigation.

That is the NCAA's forte, right? Conducting child safety investigations?
As I said, the NCAA overstepped their boundaries. No argument there.

I don't care what YOU say or most on this board. I can what the NCAA says, They've never come out and said they were wrong...they never exonerated Joe Paterno. And till they do, I will hold them to that standard.

I'm sure the NCAA cares about the standard you which you hold them.

Okay, so we are all happy with the resurgence of PSU Football. The end does not justify the means.

Okay, so we are all happy with the resurgence of PSU Football. The end does not justify the means.

Hated the way it went down, but I'm happy that the old staff is gone. We are 10 years removed from a position actually using PlayStation 2 as a "technique" for coaching a QB who was compared to Dan Marino in hs

Reactions: Osprey Lion
Hated the way it went down, but I'm happy that the old staff is gone. We are 10 years removed from a position actually using PlayStation 2 as a "technique" for coaching a QB who was compared to Dan Marino in hs
I'll stand by my statement. I love everything I've seen the past 10-11 months. Remember, one acorn doesn't make a fall.

Reactions: Zenophile
ADVERTISEMENT