ADVERTISEMENT

FRL - Ollie

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
This goof is making the show near unlistenable. First, his cartoonish NY accent just really grates (and I’m used to similar accents being from the NE). Second, he commits the unforgivable sin of being the unfunny person who stridently thinks he’s funny.

You can tell that Askren, who seems exceedingly laid-back and good-natured, is getting more and more frustrated dealing with the guy.

This goof is making the show near unlistenable. First, his cartoonish NY accent just really grates (and I’m used to similar accents being from the NE). Second, he commits the unforgivable sin of being the unfunny person who stridently thinks he’s funny.

You can tell that Askren, who seems exceedingly laid-back and good-natured, is getting more and more frustrated dealing with the guy.

What's this "FRL" you speak of?

He's annoying. For all the CP hate (warranted), I don't mind his narration.

I too have stopped listening due to evil empire!
images

Not a fan of Rage Against The Machine huh? I too have stopped listening and I must say, I don't miss it.

Last edited:
I hadn't listened since willie left.

However I went back after latest askren KO as I wanted to hear about the fight.

I didnt get through the whole episode and haven't been back.

I've had a flo account for what has to be 13 years maybe more and it may just be the time to let the clock run out.

He's annoying. For all the CP hate (warranted), I don't mind his narration.
I like CP. I’d prefer if he did FRL with Bader and got rid of the other clowns. Askren seems half-way invested in the show and Bratke is too much of an Iowa homer for my liking (it looked like he might start crying during the watch party when Carter took down Kemerer). Not sure what the deal is with Ollie or why Flo feels they need a 4th person on the show.

Last edited:
I hadn't listened since willie left.

However I went back after latest askren KO as I wanted to hear about the fight.

I didnt get through the whole episode and haven't been back.

I've had a flo account for what has to be 13 years maybe more and it may just be the time to let the clock run out.

Let mine lapse last year, I am trying to gas Flo from bottom.

I haven't really missed it too much. There are a few things behind the paywall I would like to have access to, but not so much to justify the monthly.

Covid was a factor given the abbreviated season, the bull#$@& over Willie really rubbed me the wrong way, and losing the stream to matches was the last nail.

I still enjoy the podcast. Ollie is mostly quiet, Ben can be entertaining, and Bratke is well informed.
I still listen to every episode as there is not a lot of wrestling content out there. That being said, my observations since Willie left are:
1) no where near as good without Willie
2) Ollie can be entertaining but he is pushing too hard and CP and the rest are more than happy to oblige because they think he is funny.
3) Ben is not the person I expected. I thought he would have great insight, which he does, but he also tells stories about his college days which makes him really unlikeable, purposely going to crappy tournaments to rack up pins, playing catch and release just so he can get a takedown record, etc.
4) Mainly Bratke but the show in general (except for Askren) a lot of times seems to come off as anti PSU and constantly pick against the PSU/NLWC guys unless it is blatantly obvious. Examples - RBY has no shot against Daton, Nick Lee was the third best all year, Kemerer next topic, etc.
5) somehow, Pyles has become the most tolerable for me, even though he blocked me on Twitter. That only reminds me how bad the others on the show are.

All that being said, Spey is great.

I still listen to every episode as there is not a lot of wrestling content out there. That being said, my observations since Willie left are:
1) no where near as good without Willie
2) Ollie can be entertaining but he is pushing too hard and CP and the rest are more than happy to oblige because they think he is funny.
3) Ben is not the person I expected. I thought he would have great insight, which he does, but he also tells stories about his college days which makes him really unlikeable, purposely going to crappy tournaments to rack up pins, playing catch and release just so he can get a takedown record, etc.
4) Mainly Bratke but the show in general (except for Askren) a lot of times seems to come off as anti PSU and constantly pick against the PSU/NLWC guys unless it is blatantly obvious. Examples - RBY has no shot against Daton, Nick Lee was the third best all year, Kemerer next topic, etc.
5) somehow, Pyles has become the most tolerable for me, even though he blocked me on Twitter. That only reminds me how bad the others on the show are.

All that being said, Spey is great.

Yikes, thats a lot of negatives and you keep coming back for more.
RespectfulViciousArmadillo-size_restricted.gif

Can’t imagine how many people are listening now if the most knowledgeable board for wrestling seems to all have stopped. I also do not listen anymore. From past experiences they check these boards a lot, so I can’t image that crew is thrilled with this topic lol

i still listen to most episodes, and only because there's not a ton of other wrestling podcasts. bloodround, wrestling changed my life, and short time combined are usually less time than FRL each week.

if there was an audio only version of the first word, i would listen to that too.

Prices are low at his bargain outlet so that's a plus...but his comedy work with his friend Stan is a bit dated.

Couldn’t agree more. Good lord whoever decided to put him on camera with a mic should be fired. He’s horrible and his goof shit ends up getting the other guys off topic and they rarely touch on what they were supposed to be speaking about. The last show the past week was soooo much better without him on there.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Not that I feel FRL is the ticket, but I really wish Flo could find a proper role for Kyle Klingman. I always found Kyle to be a really good interviewer, and watching him every week (on camera) sitting there in silence on the Bader Show is brutal.

It seemed to be more cryptic and awkward than it needed to be.
Maybe (if things are normal and he just doesn’t want to be on air), but exactly like I’d think it would go if they booted him for not being a fit. I’m sure Askren’s question wasn’t particularly welcomed - they probably wanted it to just fade away without addressing.

Maybe (if things are normal and he just doesn’t want to be on air), but exactly like I’d think it would go if they booted him for not being a fit. I’m sure Askren’s question wasn’t particularly welcomed - they probably wanted it to just fade away without addressing.
Agreed. I was surprised Ben was not notified before the show about it. Pyles definitely was not happy about the question. I wish Ben would have not let CP weasel his way out of it so quickly. He should have asked him for a better explanation. Haha. I could not even imagine working under that guy. I do not mind Ben for the most part, he is funny and brings great wrestling insight, but it will never be as good as it was when Willie was there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT