ADVERTISEMENT

Freestyle tourneys in July

Damn that was fun to watch. Gilman seemed enjoy the lead he built in 1st period but that guy didn't let up

9-8 gman

Reactions: creamery freak
I've been watching on and off; small tournament but there are some decent wrestlers and good matches. I missed the match Gilman gave up the pin but saw the others and he looks solid. I'm not trying to slight Iowa, but it's interesting how he went from boring to can't-miss. One of my favorite guys to watch now.

Seth Gross wrestles exactly how he did in college, and while he's having a pretty good day today (3-0 and took gold in a finals forfeit), that's not a good long-term plan. But good for him. DT started out wrestling FS exactly like he did in college too, and it worked until it didn't.

Yianni didn't look good in the one match I saw him. Sometimes he leaves himself vulnerable when he goes down and is only looking for offense off counters. A good defensive wrestler can just shut everything down, and there are plenty of those at 65kg.

Zain's looked dominant so far, mostly wrestling like he did in college, with leg-leveraged turns from top, something you rarely see int'l guys try. He'll be coming up shortly in the finals.

Last edited:
Yianni looked good there, teching Adlan Askarov (KAZ) 15-5, but that was still round-robin so not actually a final. I don't think they're going to have an actual final at 65kg, but the guy who beat Yianni (Sujeet (IND)), hasn't lost.

Reactions: creamery freak
I've been watching on and off; small tournament but there are some decent wrestlers and good matches. I missed the match Gilman gave up the pin but saw the others and he looks solid. I'm not trying to slight Iowa, but it's interesting how he went from boring to can't-miss. One of my favorite guys to watch now.

Seth Gross wrestles exactly how he did in college, and while he's having a pretty good day today (2-0 and took gold in a finals forfeit), that's not a good long-term plan. But good for him. DT started out wrestling FS exactly like he did in college too, and it worked until it didn't.

Yianni didn't look good in the one match I saw him. Sometimes he leaves himself vulnerable when he goes down and is only looking for offense off counters. A good defensive wrestler can just shut everything down, and there are plenty of those at 65kg.

Zain's looked dominant so far, mostly wrestling like he did in college, with leg-leveraged turns from top, something you rarely see int'l guys try. He'll be coming up shortly in the finals.

Gross went 3-0 in matches he wrestled (4-0 if you count injury win in fourth match) and it was a round robin.

Zain techs 10-0 vs Talgat (KAZ), who looked strong at the beginning but Zain wore him down. Good awareness by Zain, his takedowns were mostly counters, but he was initiating a lot of chaos and Zalgat made more mistakes as he grew tired of wrestling Zain.

ADVERTISEMENT