ADVERTISEMENT

Freestyle this weekend: U23 Trials & Pan Ams Championships

Gable just destroyed a poor Colombian's dignity in about 18 seconds.

The disparity in competition at this event is really noticeable. Some of these guys wouldn't start over your below average high-school freshman.

DT

No scoring in first minute. Hand fighting & snaps.

DT hits a TD off the whistle into an exposure for 4. DT works a trapped arm into a turn, 6-0.

Two more TDs, and that's 10-0.

In the 8 weight classes today, as of this second, the US Team is undefeated, with combined scores of 203-8. Only two bouts saw the opponent score points, one was the 6 points given up by McKenna. Every bout has been a tech fall, with 17 shut-outs. Weak competition, but not the same guys day after day, as faced in the training rooms for the US wrestlers. Nice warm-up.

Gable just destroyed a poor Colombian's dignity in about 18 seconds.

The disparity in competition at this event is really noticeable. Some of these guys wouldn't start over your below average high-school freshman.
You’ll have to click to watch, but both Gable bombs are here:

That Dominican had a really good sprint to start off again Snyder. Not sure I’ve seen anybody gas as quickly as him before. Tried every trick in the book to catch his breath, still didn’t help. 😂

11-0

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
Pan Ams sans Cuba before the olympics is like PSU booking Buffalo as the last dual tuneup before the postseason. Still, I’m embarrassed for the rest of the Americas.

Ten Gold Medals in 10 weights. 8 finals victories by VSU 10+ to 0.

Last edited:
Pan Ams sans Cuba before the olympics is like PSU booking Buffalo as the last dual tuneup before the postseason. Still, I’m embarrassed for the rest of the Americas.

Ten Gold Medals in 10 weights. 8 finals victories by VSU 10+ to 0.
I wonder how many other countries didn't send their best guys.

Example: Steveson steamrolled a Canadian HWT in the finals not named Amar Dhesi.

Was Suriano there as a training partner? I don’t see him listed as competing on the first page of the thread,

It’s not, Cael tagged him in the post. It does look like nick in the picture however his name is John broughton. Seems as per his posts that he was there filming for the NLWC rokfin page
I like your factual post but a Nikky rumor of eating with Cael and the eventual Nikky in Cael's basement posts has the potential as a summer thread goes - to go Big.

It’s not, Cael tagged him in the post. It does look like nick in the picture however his name is John broughton. Seems as per his posts that he was there filming for the NLWC rokfin page
Took a look at his account to see if there were any more shots of the trip. Great video footage here of him attempting to wrestle Cael. Comments are good too.

DT slammed down the Canadian onto his back w/ one arm in some backhand motion for 4.
I don't know what move he did, but it was pretty sudden, violent & worth watching the replay.
I re-watched all the gold medal matches. Footing was terrible. DT took advantage of this with a very unorthodox take down. The entire finals are on UTube. Posted by some Russians but you can hear the US commentary in the background. The first 30 minutes can be skipped. Bronze medals come first. Easy to jump ahead to what you want to see.

I re-watched all the gold medal matches. Footing was terrible. DT took advantage of this with a very unorthodox take down. The entire finals are on UTube. Posted by some Russians but you can hear the US commentary in the background. The first 30 minutes can be skipped. Bronze medals come first. Easy to jump ahead to what you want to see.
It looked to me like the Canadian was attempting an arm throw, but executed it so poorly that it became impossible to tell exactly what he was trying to accomplish. He basically had no leverage on DT's arm but was 3/4 of the way through the move, leaving a ton of space between their bodies and DT's arm around his neck. All DT had to do was recognize what was happening, which of course he did, yanking him straight to the mat by his neck, basically.

It was like a 9th grader playing Lebron James one-on-one, figuring, Probably going to lose so what the hell, here goes this reverse dunk I've no hopes in hell of eve---WHAM.

It looked to me like the Canadian was attempting an arm throw, but executed it so poorly that it became impossible to tell exactly what he was trying to accomplish. He basically had no leverage on DT's arm but was 3/4 of the way through the move, leaving a ton of space between their bodies and DT's arm around his neck. All DT had to do was recognize what was happening, which of course he did, yanking him straight to the mat by his neck, basically.

It was like a 9th grader playing Lebron James one-on-one, figuring, Probably going to lose so what the hell, here goes this reverse dunk I've no hopes in hell of eve---WHAM.
That's exactly how I read it also. The Canadian wrestler gave David a sheepish grin at the end of the match as if to say, "Sorry, but that was the best I could offer." :)

Yeah, auto correct. Thats what happened.

The Family had a lot of auto-corrects. :)
1XNpG7_dd-ltB85H4sMWF16SQGhH4BgdzguBY1i9rl1NzY17jhSXDT_EYvpFKsbPSWt_GHUv0-4sXXD91OfchPx_icelROIFC-o-tvl__-IsUxhAYtVAlPtxBddQeJsBTR9IG-jERjw

So this is kinda crazy. Dake “posts” off the other guy’s leg and his upper body to get his right leg back. That’s what I think I’m seeing, anyway.

Reactions: Dogwelder
So this is kinda crazy. Dake “posts” off the other guy’s leg and his upper body to get his right leg back. That’s what I think I’m seeing, anyway.

It's not a great angle. But I think it's less about Dake's wizardry than about his opponent having no leverage except the inside trip leg. He kind of has double overs but Dake's double unders are locked up, and he doesn't do anything with his left leg, so he has no way to steer where the trip is going. So even though he's got Dake dead to rights with the inside trip, he doesn't check any of the other boxes, and can only fall forward into Dake and hope Dake goes straight to his back. He left Dake too much room to recover.

It's not a great angle. But I think it's less about Dake's wizardry than about his opponent having no leverage except the inside trip leg. He kind of has double overs but Dake's double unders are locked up, and he doesn't do anything with his left leg, so he has no way to steer where the trip is going. So even though he's got Dake dead to rights with the inside trip, he doesn't check any of the other boxes, and can only fall forward into Dake and hope Dake goes straight to his back. He left Dake too much room to recover.
I think you're right with the throw in terms of getting Dake to his back, but I believe most defensive wrestlers there give up the right leg as they land on their butt for an easy TD. Somehow, Dake gets his out of reach without any part of his body touching the mat. That is somewhat wizardly, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: tikk10
I think you're right with the throw in terms of getting Dake to his back, but I believe most defensive wrestlers there give up the right leg as they land on their butt for an easy TD. Somehow, Dake gets his out of reach without any part of his body touching the mat. That is somewhat wizardly, IMO.
Yeah, I think most wrestlers would've just went straight back if their left leg was completely extended like that--this was a knee injury about to happen. The opponent's inside-tripping leg even hooks Dake's left ankle as he's falling forward. Then Dake's left leg just miraculously pops out because of whatever he was able to do with his right leg.

Reverse angle of this

ADVERTISEMENT