ADVERTISEMENT

Freestyle in Full Swing!!

Honestly the impressive thing about Carter is he really doesn't care if he loses either. He's lost plenty. The best loses sometimes but he's still the best in his mind. Just back to work.

September 10-18: World Championships (Belgrade, Serbia)

Already qualified for the Challenge Tourney or Final X: Nick Lee, RBY< Beau Bartlett, Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Carter Starocci, David Taylor, Bo Nickal, Aaron Brooks, Max Dean (miss anyone?)
So basically a Penn State inner-squad duel!

Reactions: David Keller
Honestly the impressive thing about Carter is he really doesn't care if he loses either. He's lost plenty. The best loses sometimes but he's still the best in his mind. Just back to work.
Tough crowd. He's only lost twice in three years including his red shirt season. Once to DJ Washington in a flukey match and to Kemerer in the B1G Finals.
If he wrestles three more years I doubt he's an underdog in any of them. He has a real chance to go down as the greatest PSU wrestler ever. But there's a long way to go...

Tough crowd. He's only lost twice in three years including his red shirt season. Once to DJ Washington in a flukey match and to Kemerer in the B1G Finals.
If he wrestles three more years I doubt he's an underdog in any of them. He has a real chance to go down as the greatest PSU wrestler ever. But there's a long way to go...
Also not buying that he doesn't care about losses. He's as in-your-face competitive as anyone in recent memory.

Putting it a different way that makes more sense: he has a closer's mentality -- if he gives up a hit, it's immediately forgotten and the next guy up is getting the heat.

Reactions: SRATH and Sullivan
Also not buying that he doesn't care about losses. He's as in-your-face competitive as anyone in recent memory.

Putting it a different way that makes more sense: he has a closer's mentality -- if he gives up a hit, it's immediately forgotten and the next guy up is getting the heat.
agree, he cares about everything pertaining to wrestling and is upset when he doesn't win, which is very infrequently. the difference is, he learns from a loss. don't believe he's lost to either since. my memory is a bit foggy these days, but i think the washington loss may have been his first match. he got turned and was down a bunch after 1 period. he fought back and lost by 1. had the ref called the stalling that went on the entire 3rd period, it would have gone ot, and i have no doubt he'd have won. the young man is a competitor.

agree, he cares about everything pertaining to wrestling and is upset when he doesn't win, which is very infrequently. the difference is, he learns from a loss. don't believe he's lost to either since. my memory is a bit foggy these days, but i think the washington loss may have been his first match. he got turned and was down a bunch after 1 period. he fought back and lost by 1. had the ref called the stalling that went on the entire 3rd period, it would have gone ot, and i have no doubt he'd have won. the young man is a competitor.
He lost in the room for 4 months straight, his losing days are over, get used to it.

Reactions: AndEEss
He lost in the room for 4 months straight, his losing days are over, get used to it.

I had a response written about Carter, but this sums it up well.

The only Ls Carter is likely to take during the NCAA season will happen in practice. He still likely takes some Ls to Bekzod, DT, AB and Cael, but that's a pretty decent list. Only one of them doesn't have an Olympic medal, and that guy (AB) has two NCAA titles and is 2-1 vs an Olympic medalist.

pretty good pedigree, too.

undefeated and PIAA AAA state champ his last 2 years at Erie Cathedral, first at 160 and then at 182, took on all comers

I had a response written about Carter, but this sums it up well.

The only Ls Carter is likely to take during the NCAA season will happen in practice. He still likely takes some Ls to Bekzod, DT, AB and Cael, but that's a pretty decent list. Only one of them doesn't have an Olympic medal, and that guy (AB) has two NCAA titles and is 2-1 vs an Olympic medalist.
Carter just beat an NCAA champ/JR world champ with a broken hand.

I’m confused, I thought Jordan had announced his intention to return to 74 Kg…

Some interesting matches today at the Warrior Run PAUSAW qualifier. Jude Swisher took out Harer 11-2 (last second 4 at the buzzer). Gibson and some of the McCort crew was in attendance. Some big time matches for a little freestyle/Greco qualifier. Penn State commit (My 7th grader) took first in both styles. Cael wants to offer, he just doesn't know it yet.

Some interesting matches today at the Warrior Run PAUSAW qualifier. Jude Swisher took out Harer 11-2 (last second 4 at the buzzer). Gibson and some of the McCort crew was in attendance. Some big time matches for a little freestyle/Greco qualifier. Penn State commit (My 7th grader) took first in both styles. Cael wants to offer, he just doesn't know it yet.
Very nice. Congratulations!

Reactions: danoftw and Rhino80
All of our NC caliber kids are supremely talented and dedicated, so this is meant as a compliment.

Guys like DT, Ruth Nolf and Bo have this it factor, unique athletic ability, an uncanny feel for wrestling, or an awareness that helped make them great. Nothing is easy but each of them made their greatness look as if it comes easily.

Carter and Nick in particular are just two guys that simply want it more than everyone around them their work ethic is second to none, their conditioning, and man are they tough as nails and just grind people. Carter and Nick both jumped levels because they worked so friggin hard. How many Big matches did they win in the 3rd simply because they refused to fail and dig deeper. So Admirable!

Nolf was just such a freak. A mysterious combo of creativity, athleticism, speed, and fearlessness.

Bo because he could turn a match on it's head from any position. What timing, encyclopedic knowledge of moves in all situations.

DT was just the most talented.

Carter and Nick are highly competitive and driven to mold themselves into being the very best. They work and work and work to perfect their craft. I am sure Cael loves kids like that, coachable, committed, and always giving 100%.

All of our NC caliber kids are supremely talented and dedicated, so this is meant as a compliment.

Guys like DT, Ruth Nolf and Bo have this it factor, unique athletic ability, an uncanny feel for wrestling, or an awareness that helped make them great. Nothing is easy but each of them made their greatness look as if it comes easily.

Carter and Nick in particular are just two guys that simply want it more than everyone around them their work ethic is second to none, their conditioning, and man are they tough as nails and just grind people. Carter and Nick both jumped levels because they worked so friggin hard. How many Big matches did they win in the 3rd simply because they refused to fail and dig deeper. So Admirable!

Nolf was just such a freak. A mysterious combo of creativity, athleticism, speed, and fearlessness.

Bo because he could turn a match on it's head from any position. What timing, encyclopedic knowledge of moves in all situations.

DT was just the most talented.

Carter and Nick are highly competitive and driven to mold themselves into being the very best. They work and work and work to perfect their craft. I am sure Cael loves kids like that, coachable, committed, and always giving 100%.
While I agree with what you're saying ... I venture to guess a lot of people work as hard and want it as bad as Nick and Carter and don't even get halfway there. Someone on the team told me Creighton Edsell is an example of that, he does everything the right way and works harder than anyone else. Gets his 9-10 hours of sleep and eats exactly what he should, hence why he can manage to go down to 165 without losing his tank. He's not a NQ let alone an AA/Champ but he's easily one of Cael's favorites, he sets the example.

There's definitely a degree of talent and athleticism they have that isn't "flashy" like some of the others you described but it's there and can't be taught. Keep in mind, Lee doesn't get much heavier than 145 apparently, he says he might max out at 150 in the peak of an offseason. So it's really just insane pound for pound power. Jordan Oliver said he was blown away by how strong Nick was when they wrestled at trials. Combine that with his gas tank (which I think can't be completely trained either) and his fundamentals and he's become very difficult to beat. Similar story with Carter I bet.

Where did j.o. Say that?
edsell will succeed in life, it’s amazing what these guys do. D1 athlete with college courses wow…

Has RBY and Bo committed to wrestling freestyle? I thought Bo was done. Would love by to see him stick around for a couple more cycles but I thought that was a done deal.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu and 1AA
Has RBY and Bo committed to wrestling freestyle? I thought Bo was done. Would love by to see him stick around for a couple more cycles but I thought that was a done deal.
RBY is wrestling until 2024 before starting MMA. Wouldn't be shocked to see him cross train MMA and maybe take an amateur fight or two to get started.

Bo is done with wrestling period I believe. All in on MMA now and it won't be long until he's signed by a promotion.

Reactions: Rick Sanchez
Where did j.o. Say that?
edsell will succeed in life, it’s amazing what these guys do. D1 athlete with college courses wow…
On a Baschamania podcast back after the Olympic Trials. I'm paraphrasing, but he was was very complimentary of Nick. Said he was very good and tough to wrestle. Said Nick was very strong and had very strong hands. JO admitted he gave up on his best shot and changed his strategy when wrestling Nick. Chose to look for doubles rather than singles. Similar to what Eierman did in their NC match. He said you have to keep wrestling and fighting because Nick's hand fighting and defense is so good.

On a Baschamania podcast back after the Olympic Trials. I'm paraphrasing, but he was was very complimentary of Nick. Said he was very good and tough to wrestle. Said Nick was very strong and had very strong hands. JO admitted he gave up on his best shot and changed his strategy when wrestling Nick. Chose to look for doubles rather than singles. Similar to what Eierman did in their NC match. He said you have to keep wrestling and fighting because Nick's hand fighting and defense is so good.
Hats off to JO for that podcast episode--one of the most open and honest interviews I think I've ever heard from an active competitor.

Reactions: WreslingFan0314
I will be very interested to see how RH and Facundo go at the Open.

There are some pretty good guys entered at 57kg, particularly Richie Figueroa.

At 74kg, Fish from Michigan State will be there, and he beat Facundo 5-3 this year. Ulrey is Virginia Tech's starter at 165, too.

If Facundo is going to be the man at 165 over Edsell (if Edsell is coming back, that is), he needs to be beating guys like Fish and Ulrey. Soundly, I'd hope. And you'd hope he beat Haines, too. We'll see. I'm mostly interested in seeing how he finishes. He's otherworldly on defense, but I want him to get to legs and put up points.

I wonder if people forget how good Robbie Howard is at freestyle ... Figs is definitely considered the favorite over him but wouldn't be surprised either way if RoHo is healthy.

Reactions: AndEEss and mcpat
Cael will play coy with young wrestlers and their parents, almost like he has no idea who you are :)

Reactions: Split shot
Edit: wrong age group. Disregard statements about Senior level athletes.

So far it looks like RoHo and Figueroa are the class of the 57kg bracket. Cooper Flynn is pretty good, too. He went 15-3 during his RS campaign and is ranked #22 by WS, just ahead of Howard. No wins above anyone in the top 40, though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT