ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin

WV Bruno

Dec 10, 2015
Are you guys happy with him? You recruit at an elite level but your results on the field have not implied that most years.

Our results could've been better and there are frustrations, however few question that he is a great representative for our school and that he has continued our tradition of graduating football players.

How is Neal Brown working out for y'all? Are you happy with him? How about Dana Holgorsen?
I thought Dana did a good job here but the brass did not like his lifestyle. Brown? Let me come back in November. He is recruiting well.

Are you guys happy with him? You recruit at an elite level but your results on the field have not implied that most years.
It’s obvious a lot of people aren’t happy with Franklin. Somewhat is your objective? To stir up controversy? To cause hurt and anger?

Or are you trying to get people angry enough that Franklin either leaves or is fired so that WVU can get him?

Or just a simple troll.....

But you graduate players which people quit caring about those sort of things over 20 years ago.
He was hired to win football games and he is 11-11 in his last 22, including a loss at home to a 25 point underdog bottom feeder.

His players graduate and stay out of trouble. May no act of ours bring shame people. He's had us in the Fiesta, Rose and Cotton Bowl and even with the last two seasons we still are up there in wins in the last five years.

Miserable people like to bitch. It makes them feel better for what little they've accomplished. Like they could coach better.

y9JHdVW.jpg

His players graduate and stay out of trouble. May no act of ours bring shame people. He's had us in the Fiesta, Rose and Cotton Bowl and even with the last two seasons we still are up there in wins in the last five years.

Miserable people like to bitch. It makes them feel better for what little they've accomplished. Like they could coach better.

y9JHdVW.jpg
Wow, WV is way down there. Even way below Pitt!

It’s obvious a lot of people aren’t happy with Franklin. Somewhat is your objective? To stir up controversy? To cause hurt and anger?

Or are you trying to get people angry enough that Franklin either leaves or is fired so that WVU can get him?

Or just a simple troll.....
I hope he stays at PSU so we have a chance to win. By the way, I have donated money to PSU so my intentions were not bad. Also, if he can not win games at PSU he is not going to win games at WVU with our disadvantages.

Last edited:

Miserable people like to bitch.

I'm not an alum just a fan, and I've bitched about his calls and recruiting, but in the end, I like him for what I made bold in John's post..I know he's lost games from disciplining players that other coaches would have played.

Now please put together a good OL for cripes sake Franklin lol

Franklin has been at PSU for 8 years. His first two years he finished 7-6 utilizing players recruited by his predecessor. His next 4 years he went 42-11 which is a winning percentage of just under 80% which included a Big Ten title and berths in the Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, and Citrus bowls. His last two years the team regressed and was a combined 11-11 due primarily to the pandemic, key injuries, and staff turnover. Now with a starting QB returning for a 6th year, most are cautiously optimistic that we'll have a bounce back year and hopefully double digit wins again. That said, his bowl record is a very pedestrian 3-4 which clearly doesn't sit well with the fanbase. Overall he's got to do better all the way around to justify his latest contract.

Last edited:
42-11 from 2016 to 2019. 67-34 despite last 2 years.
That's a decent record by any standards. But the two PSU games that I really remember were the two back-to-back 1-point losses (if I remember correctly) to OSU. about 3 or 4 years ago. PSU had those games won with double-digit leads late in the game and just collapsed. You have to wonder what could have been if Franklin / PSU could have held on and won both of those games.

42-11 from 2016 to 2019. 67-34 despite last 2 years.
In the depths of the Sandusky stuff I couldn't have dreamed that we'd be in this position again. We are pretty much back to "normal" post 1994. Win most of the games we should. Unfortunately lose those we should as well. Pull some surprise wins out of our butts, but then lose pathetic games like Illinois and a very exciting, winnable Michigan game both at home.

Pretty much the way it has been...but last 2 years have stretched the limits for many of us.

In the depths of the Sandusky stuff I couldn't have dreamed that we'd be in this position again. We are pretty much back to "normal" post 1994. Win most of the games we should. Unfortunately lose those we should as well. Pull some surprise wins out of our butts, but then lose pathetic games like Illinois and a very exciting, winnable Michigan game both at home.

Pretty much the way it has been...but last 2 years have stretched the limits for many of us.
11-11 is not normal.

Reactions: MacNit07
67-34 isn't even vaguely close to Paterno.
As much as I admire Paterno you are comparing apples and oranges. Was Paterno a better coach than Franklin is? Hell yes, but just blindly comparing their records without considering the competition, overall cfb environment, etc is incorrect.

You can't look at JoePa past '97 or whatever because he was too old. His record up to that point was second to none but he did beat up on the Temples, Rutgers, Maryland's, BCs, Syracuses and WVUs. He never had to navigate a B10 East gauntlet in his prime.

$8 million baby... earn it! He hasn’t and don’t tell me he’s the best PSU can do. The product the last two years has been bad. Hopefully Krafty will not put up with his annual crap. No excuses anymore. Own it. Franklion delivers or he moves on. Great to elite? Heck he hasn’t even been good.

Last edited:
As much as I admire Paterno you are comparing apples and oranges. Was Paterno a better coach than Franklin is? Hell yes, but just blindly comparing their records without considering the competition, overall cfb environment, etc is incorrect.

You can't look at JoePa past '97 or whatever because he was too old. His record up to that point was second to none but he did beat up on the Temples, Rutgers, Maryland's, BCs, Syracuses and WVUs. He never had to navigate a B10 East gauntlet in his prime.
94?

I like and support Coach Franklin. The last 2 years have been difficult. However, I have enjoyed some NY6Bowl trips as well.
This will be 56 years since my first trip to Beaver Stadium.

He is a good coach and excellent recruiter He runs a good program off the field. He has done a good job under difficult circumstances and is still recruiting well. This isn’t the job it once was albeit still a good job. PA simply doesn’t have the recruiting base it once did. There are few coaches I would rather have to guide us through the NIL and portal mess. Not happy with 11-11 last couple of years but there were some extenuating circumstances coupled with playing in a brutal division where tOSU is top dog and has inherent advantages that are nearly impossible to overcome. Some of our fans and alumni just aren’t realistic.

Last edited:
A very good point and no matter how anyone tries to spin it, the two toughest divisions in CF are the SEC West and B1G East. Just extremely tough to come out of both divisions without a loss. Put Franklin and PSU in the B1G West and it's a whole different story
Maybe. We have done well against Wisconsin of course, but its not like we have dominated Iowa, we have losses to Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana(I know east), mayland(twice in his tenure). Losing records against Michigan, Ohio state, Michigan state. A loss to Nebraska. I'm just not sure.

Reactions: jbenedict
Franklin is quite the enigma. Great recruiter. Great face for the school as a good family man. Enthusiastic. Great role model for the players. Stresses academics. Stresses civility, responsibility, respect, and more.

Yet in many ways a poor coach. Forces players to work his system instead of adapting his system to the players skill sets. Sticks with a QB no matter what. Terrible game management. Burns timeouts because they can’t get the offense running. Doesn’t know how to work the clock late in games. Makes fourth down attempts early in game deep in own territory.

He should be more of a general manager and allow his OC and DC to make all the game day decisions. He needs to show serious improvement in the next two years. The last two were heavily impacted by Covid and the Big’s poor reaction and Pa’s terrible over reaction. But no excuses now. Time to produce.

You need to review the early 80's schedules. Here's an example:

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit07

Hell let's look at his LAST three years: 12-1, 11-2, and 8-1 before the firing...

Stop making excuses for Franklin. 11-11 is poor and 7-6 this year needs to be his final season.

ADVERTISEMENT