ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin winning percentage vs Joepa

PA college fan

Jun 26, 2001
Joepa’s 409 wins basically amounted to winning 3 of 4 games over many decades and built the PSU brand both athletically and academically and is cemented in the alumni and fan loyalty. close to 5 billion in endowment that keeps growing.

James started in tough spot going 7-6 in 2014 and 2015. Let’s call 2020 and 2021 the Covid years and he has gone 4-5 and 7-5 with too many close losses in winnable games, characterized by incompetence at O line and defense that can’t keep late game leads against competent offenses— 53 percent.

in between, 2016-2019, he won 11 games three times, and had nearly 80 percent win rate with 42-11 rate— let’s call it the McSorley with major NFL talent years- Saquon, Godwin, Micah and so on.

In total Franklin is 67-33, (2 of 3 games)which isn’t bad considering what he inherited— but last two years were clearly a step backward (prefer the 4 of 5 game pace in the middle). Franklin teams are rarely blown out but losing close is a bad habit. Now he has brought in major talent with Allar and Singleton and Dani and on and on and is clearly building a brand that Joepa would approve— empahasizing education and loyalty and caring for players— and all the PSU NFL guys showing love for program is a major plus for recruiting. It’s a different world as we move to 2022 and I’m glad we have Franklin, no matter what happens tomorrow.

Let’s build on positive vibes tomorrow with mostly next year’s players— but this year’s recruits will make an impact in 2022 and I’m glad we have senior leadership from Sean for tough early schedule . Happy New Year and let’s go State— make Franklin’s game 101 a victory!!

I usually give Franklin a pass for 2014 and 2015 so that’s a 53-21 record from 2016 onward, assuming your numbers are correct - that’s a .716 winning percentage.

You are absolutely correct there were too many games lost that were easily winnable or even nearly in the bag over the years. Just typing this out I can think of probably seven or eight right off the top of my head.

The trouble I have is that while I desire better on-field results, Franklin appears to be doing an excellent job of running a clean program with players who take going to class seriously and stay out of trouble - those things certainly have a lot of value too.

And, I liked Joe. But, let’s face it, he would be pulling his jet black hair out with the state of college football today. NIL. Transfer/free agency. Coaching salaries.

OL
Definitely a different game today. Can't even imagine what CF will look like in 10 years

• Sad
Reactions: OhioLion
The trouble I have is that while I desire better on-field results, Franklin appears to be doing an excellent job of running a clean program with players who take going to class seriously and stay out of trouble - those things certainly have a lot of value too.
if you're going to have a trouble, that's not a bad one to have

I am wishful that it be dead. I really see nothing positive, going forward. It will only get worse.
I’m wishful that the NFL steps up with a developmental league where the mercenaries and wannabe gang bangers can bypass their masquerade as “student athletes” and cut to the chase of getting paid. Use the scholarships on kids who actually value the education. Yeah, the quality of college football will decline, but it will actually be college football.

Joe won three conference championships in eighteen years. Just sayin.
I think most people remember Joe’s accomplishments over his entire coaching career, not just the last 18, many of those years spent when the man was in his late 70s and 80s…..just sayin.

What are you talking about Paterno had 5 undefeated teams two back to back and 3 in a six year period. Two NC’s. The PSU 1969 team could be the greatest college football team of all time.

What are you talking about Paterno had 5 undefeated teams two back to back and 3 in a six year period. Two NC’s. The PSU 1969 team could be the greatest college football team of all time.
They worship coaches. It's what they do.

He was about to have a 4th before the school turned on him in 2011. Plus PSU battled a palpable anti Paterno/PSU sentiment in the big ten. And his 24-12-1 bowl record is better than anyone else. They showed a graphic of Schembechler and Vince Dooley’s career last night, Joe had more wins, national titles and bowl wins in the exact same amount of years coaching between those two combined.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit07
They worship coaches. It's what they do.
I am no PSU fan, but Paterno was one of the greatest college football coaches to ever coach. He loved PSU and I respect that. He may have set a standard that will take years to ever replicate

Reactions: BicyclePete
Nobody at PSU will ever replicate the way Joe was winning in the late 60s and early 70s, for a variety of reasons. Even Joe was never able to replicate it. A more realistic scenario is getting back to where Joe had things in the 80s and early 90s. Franklin seemed like he was headed there and the last two years were a major step back. But even Joe had some bad years in the middle of that stretch (e.g., 1988). Not ready to write off Franklin just yet, but this is not so good.
I don’t know about that somehow Alabama has surpassed what The Bear did. Would I compare PSU to Alabama absolutely in fact I would suggest that PSU has a better chance. PSU owns NE recruiting and can recruit anywhere,

Franklin is loyal— he will be tested next year if he keeps playing Sean, unless Sean figures out the mental part and accuracy part of game. I think he needs to open up competition between the 4 QBs and let the best player win the start regardless of seniority. I have hope
For Oline and defense for next year and speed is coming in with Singleton and Saunders and many others. Sean may be the limiting factor next yr, unless he can make a major breakthrough. I like the guy but he just doesn’t seem to learn or grow. Franklin also needs to hold Yurcich accountable.

Franklin is loyal— he will be tested next year if he keeps playing Sean, unless Sean figures out the mental part and accuracy part of game. I think he needs to open up competition between the 4 QBs and let the best player win the start regardless of seniority. I have hope
For Oline and defense for next year and speed is coming in with Singleton and Saunders and many others. Sean may be the limiting factor next yr, unless he can make a major breakthrough. I like the guy but he just doesn’t seem to learn or grow. Franklin also needs to hold Yurcich accountable.
As a healthy bar stool discussion how is Franklin loyal? He is making $85 Million over the next ten years. How many years did Paterno coach on a handshake? How many libraries has Franklin name on them?

JoePa was 75-13-1 in his first 8 seasons, with a 4-1-1 record in bowl games, that included 3 Orange Bowl wins and 1 Cotton Bowl win. And like you indicated, 3 of his first 8 were undefeated seasons. By comparison, Franklin is 67-33 in his first 8 seasons and 3-4 in bowl games.

At the end of the first minute of this video, Joe in his own voice, said, "the '73 team was the best all-around team he's seen in his 24 years at Penn State."

At the end of the first minute of this video, Joe in his own voice, said, "the '73 team was the best all-around team he's seen in his 24 years at Penn State."

He saved Eastern football. Like I have said I am a Pitt fan that went to Navy, but I totally respect what Paterno did. He never back down from a fight.

I didn’t mean loyal the way you took it TFBaum— he is loyal to “his senior players”— for instance I don’t think Southerland should be automatically penciled in as starter at LB because he is coming back and same with Sean. This is Penn State and you have to perform to expected standard esp with the money he is making. Joe was truly loyal in the best way to Penn State.

I didn’t mean loyal the way you took it TFBaum— he is loyal to “his senior players”— for instance I don’t think Southerland should be automatically penciled in as starter at LB because he is coming back and same with Sean. This is Penn State and you have to perform to expected standard esp with the money he is making. Joe was truly loyal in the best way to Penn State.
Got it btw Happy New Year and I understand what you meant

I think most people remember Joe’s accomplishments over his entire coaching career, not just the last 18, many of those years spent when the man was in his late 70s and 80s…..just sayin.
That’s true, but no one forced him to stay into his 80s. Just sayin.

All true, but it’s irrelevant to what I wrote.

He was about to have a 4th before the school turned on him in 2011. Plus PSU battled a palpable anti Paterno/PSU sentiment in the big ten. And his 24-12-1 bowl record is better than anyone else. They showed a graphic of Schembechler and Vince Dooley’s career last night, Joe had more wins, national titles and bowl wins in the exact same amount of years coaching between those two combined.
I agree, but PSU still faces the same corrupt, inbred bias as they did during Joe’s tenure.

JoePa was 75-13-1 in his first 8 seasons, with a 4-1-1 record in bowl games, that included 3 Orange Bowl wins and 1 Cotton Bowl win. And like you indicated, 3 of his first 8 were undefeated seasons. By comparison, Franklin is 67-33 in his first 8 seasons and 3-4 in bowl games.
Agreed, but the screw jobs PSU has taken from the B1G have continued since day one. It’s very difficult to overcome your opponents and the officiating on a continual basis.

He saved Eastern football. Like I have said I am a Pitt fan that went to Navy, but I totally respect what Paterno did. He never back down from a fight.
You have a right to be on this board. I just don’t understand why you want to spend your time discussing a team that you don’t like. Quite bizarre.

I heard there is talk of naming Brandon Short the newxAD, maybe he can get this straightened out

You have a right to be on this board. I just don’t understand why you want to spend your time discussing a team that you don’t like. Quite bizarre.
Where have I ever written that I don’t like PSU? If they play Navy or Pitt I root against them otherwise I want the to represent PA. Your incredible hate or dislike of Pitt removes your ability to just enjoy a rivilary. Did some Pitt coed dump you?

It was basically silly when he stayed after 2005. It was very messed up for the last 5-6 years, even if the record was good - the defensive coaches carried the whole program during that time. The right thing to do would have been to turn the program over to Bradley or Larry Jonson Sr. for the 2006 season.

All in the past now
I know you don’t want to hear this but Joe Paterno was PSU football. Just as Tom Osborne was Nebraska Bobby Bowden was FSU Woody and Bo and Bear. They were coaches that made the programs

I’m wishful that the NFL steps up with a developmental league where the mercenaries and wannabe gang bangers can bypass their masquerade as “student athletes” and cut to the chase of getting paid. Use the scholarships on kids who actually value the education. Yeah, the quality of college football will decline, but it will actually be college football.
There is some truth to this.

I don’t know about that somehow Alabama has surpassed what The Bear did. Would I compare PSU to Alabama absolutely in fact I would suggest that PSU has a better chance. PSU owns NE recruiting and can recruit anywhere,
Not a chance , changing demographics along with a history of success will keep Bama at or near the top going forward .
I doubt psu will approach OSU let alone Bama. In Joe's heyday Pa. had much more nfl talent than now. It's only going to get worse moving forward. Why should a Georgia or Florida kid chose PSU over a top SEC school?

I am wishful that it be dead. I really see nothing positive, going forward. It will only get worse.
Tend to agree. Turning into minor league pro football. NCAA basketball regular season used to have high ratings but they expanded the tournament to the point no regular season game matters much and ratings are awful. Starting to get sane feeling about football. Kicker is even with just 4 teams semis are usually a blowout. Add to it the transfer portal and paying players, it’s getting boring.

ADVERTISEMENT