ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin recruiting lots of tall lanky Olinemen

uppermaclion

Sep 6, 2005
I just saw on one of the other sites that PSU offered 2 more lineman(not sure if they are both for 2016 or not) but both are like 6'7 and on the lean side. We see this with Palmer and sterling as well. So it is pretty clear what kind of tackles they are recruiting. Even the interior guys are on the tall side like McGovern. The line should be very interesting in a few years once these guys mature. I think we are going to have a pretty athletic line given the kinds of guys they are recruiting.

Offering a kid that is 17 who is lean is a little different than offering a 19/20 year old JUCO, IMHO. I am excited for PP but he needs to add weight in a hurry. A high school Jr. has three or so years to add weight.

Regardless of all of that, T's have to have a unique requirement of size (to stop a bull rush) of quickness (to stop a guy coming off the edge) and wingspan (again, to extend his body frame to influence a defender).

T's are now commonly 6' 5" +. You don't often see a T at this level that is 6-3 or shorter.

I believe both of the new offers are '16 guys. Yes, tall and lean, respectively.

One of the first things he said about his recruiting philosophy is he likes his OL to look like (and be) basketball players in HS

I just saw on one of the other sites that PSU offered 2 more lineman(not sure if they are both for 2016 or not) but both are like 6'7 and on the lean side. We see this with Palmer and sterling as well. So it is pretty clear what kind of tackles they are recruiting. Even the interior guys are on the tall side like McGovern. The line should be very interesting in a few years once these guys mature. I think we are going to have a pretty athletic line given the kinds of guys they are recruiting.

Jenkins is not "lean". He is over 320lbs and really has NFL OT "size" right now. Whether or not he is near ready to play effectively at a major college level is another question.

As others have pointed out, most successful college OT's started on the lean side when they were high school sophs, jrs, and seniors.................... Filling out with muscle takes time, and is obviously why most OL players at top 20 programs do not play until their redshirt soph year at the earliest.

No news here.................

Seems to me CJF knows what he is doing. The era of fat guys with stuff hanging over their belts is over. An OT now has to be athletic and in shape. Even the G's have to move better now, more pulling than ever.

You need to be big and strong enough to nullify the bull rush, yet quick enough to get out on the DE's and LB's. When we played Alabama up here, I forget their names, but the Tide tackles looked like they just stepped out of Dr. Frankenstein's lab. That is the vision CJF has for us, and I can't wait.

Seems to me CJF knows what he is doing. The era of fat guys with stuff hanging over their belts is over. An OT now has to be athletic and in shape. Even the G's have to move better now, more pulling than ever.

You need to be big and strong enough to nullify the bull rush, yet quick enough to get out on the DE's and LB's. When we played Alabama up here, I forget their names, but the Tide tackles looked like they just stepped out of Dr. Frankenstein's lab. That is the vision CJF has for us, and I can't wait.

Not so sure about that, Wisconsin "always" has massive "farm boy" linemen. They almost always bring in these BIG 3 star guys and develop them. Not sure why we have not gone that way? Then again, maybe we will under Franklin.

Not so sure about that, Wisconsin "always" has massive "farm boy" linemen. They almost always bring in these BIG 3 star guys and develop them. Not sure why we have not gone that way? Then again, maybe we will under Franklin.
Anybody have any info on if the kid Brandon Scherff from Iowa was a tall lean recruit he was drafted pretty high in the first round.

Wisconsin recruits and develops OL for the style of offense they play, a style that stresses a power running game. Most programs don't run that type of offense, and JF shows no signs to moving in that direction, so I don't think the Wisky approach is a template PSU would or could adopt.

Wisconsin recruits and develops OL for the style of offense they play, a style that stresses a power running game. Most programs don't run that type of offense, and JF shows no signs to moving in that direction, so I don't think the Wisky approach is a template PSU would or could adopt.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure "what" type of offense Franklin wants to run. Pro style (Hack and Brady type), read-option - OSU, Oregon type? or something else. Since I do NOT think he has recruited his QB for the future I really can't tell. That being said the "type" of OL he recruits is critical to that choice. I have to agree with you about The Wisky OL type - power running, much like the "old" PSU :)
I looking at the RBs Franklin is recruiting I "think" the future (once Hack is gone) is for mobile QB types. NOT run first but their run ability is part of the offense. Actually. I much prefer that type of offense in the College game. Love the "read-option".

JF knows exactly what he wants to do with the Offense. His years in the SEC where he had a front seat watching the Alabamas and LSU 's of the league pound the ball with a power running game is where PSU is headed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT