ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin quote from recent interview

If he was told, he was not told properly. If he is that unable to comprehend, he should not have been in the game (or on scholarship). All coaching. People are not claiming Franklin’s the AntiChrist…most of us like him and think he is a very good coach. But at Indiana, he was wrong.
Precisely...He is an EXCELLENT coach who we love and support, who blew a sure win with terrible coaching decisions in Bloomington....it happens.
Every great coach has lost a game or 2 where they completely blow it...

Reactions: MacNit07
Franklin.
Franklin said it. My issue was he put the game in the hands of a kid that wasn't aware enough to hide his damn weed 1 month before that game. Not the decision maker I want making game changing decisions. I just watch that play again and for most of the run he still had NO IDEA why nobody was coming after him.

Reactions: Larryrise
Franklin said it. My issue was he put the game in the hands of a kid that wasn't aware enough to hide his damn weed 1 month before that game. Not the decision maker I want making game changing decisions. I just watch that play again and for most of the run he still had NO IDEA why nobody was coming after him.
Did a reporter ask if the Indiana scenario was something that was regularly practiced? If so, what did he say. It would have been my first question.

Did a reporter ask if the Indiana scenario was something that was regularly practiced? If so, what did he say. It would have been my first question.
I would have to go back and find it but basically I believe he was asked and said they practice that situation, had gone over that situation that week, and also had a talk about it before the play.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Why would you need to practice not scoring when you are told not to?

I would have to go back and find it but basically I believe he was asked and said they practice that situation, had gone over that situation that week, and also had a talk about it before the play.
I still would never have done it, but if it was practiced that isn’t as bad. I had heard that it wasn’t something they practiced.

Why would you need to practice not scoring when you are told not to?
Because of player slippage. You don’t think players always do exactly as they’re told in pressure situations do you? The only way to try to lessen slippage is practice.

At least we can all look forward to how great Franklin will be considered by many on here after he leaves. We have a lot of selective memories when it comes to teams and coaching from the past. The current coach is never good enough until he’s gone. There was a whole lot of bitching about Joe starting around ‘99, but nowadays it seems he was never wrong. And people are defending Bradley’s defenses now, but while living through the bend but don’t break years it wasn’t so great.

Because of player slippage. You don’t think players always do exactly as they’re told in pressure situations do you? The only way to try to lessen slippage is practice.
I don’t think getting as much yardage before going down to run out the clock near the end of the game qualifies as a “pressure” situation in my book. Not exactly like being down by 4 with 5 seconds left while facing 4th and goal from the opponents’ 9 yard line. If in fact, as some claim that the team did practice not scoring in that situation, it was an even more bone-headed play by Ford.
I am sure that if Franklin was clairvoyant and could have anticipated Ford would score despite being told not to, he would have had another back in the game. But Monday Morning Quarterbacking is a logical fallacy. My principal point is that the call was proper, but the execution was lousy. My second point, which larryrise obviously disagrees with, is that it still doesn’t excuse the defense giving up a game typing TD and 2 point conversion with less than 2 minutes in regulation and a TD and game losing 2 point conversion in OT after the offense scored first in OT to go up by 7.

I don’t think getting as much yardage before going down to run out the clock near the end of the game qualifies as a “pressure” situation in my book. Not exactly like being down by 4 with 5 seconds left while facing 4th and goal from the opponents’ 9 yard line. If in fact, as some claim that the team did practice not scoring in that situation, it was an even more bone-headed play by Ford.
I am sure that if Franklin was clairvoyant and could have anticipated Ford would score despite being told not to, he would have had another back in the game. But Monday Morning Quarterbacking is a logical fallacy. My principal point is that the call was proper, but the execution was lousy. My second point, which larryrise obviously disagrees with, is that it still doesn’t excuse the defense giving up a game typing TD and 2 point conversion with less than 2 minutes in regulation and a TD and game losing 2 point conversion in OT after the offense scored first in OT to go up by 7.
The BWI Coaching Advisory Council is both omniscient and Omnipotent. They expect nothing less from CJF. I mean when you consider what WE are paying him. ;)

Come on....it's always the coaches fault. Franklin for the score and Pry for the defense failing to stop Indiana (even though they didn't break the plane). You can't ever hope to be a red blooded member of the BWI CAC if you are going to be so reasonable.

At least we can all look forward to how great Franklin will be considered by many on here after he leaves. We have a lot of selective memories when it comes to teams and coaching from the past. The current coach is never good enough until he’s gone. There was a whole lot of bitching about Joe starting around ‘99, but nowadays it seems he was never wrong. And people are defending Bradley’s defenses now, but while living through the bend but don’t break years it wasn’t so
It wasn’t Monday morning quarterbacking even though you won’t believe me. Maybe you have coached college and high school kids as I have and maybe you haven’t. It doesn’t matter anyway because appeal to authority is an actual logical fallacy. I don’t know which fallacy matches Monday morning QB. I could tell you dozens of stories of where I told players exactly what to do or exactly what was coming and they didn’t do it or didn’t react to it. Slippage occurs all the time. You comparing that situation to 4th and 5 means nothing. You also don’t get to pick what players find as pressure. Ford’s predominant thought was probably protect the football. That is my guess as to why he didn’t go down. I can’t believe IU wasn’t prepared to not let him go down.
I do agree every loss is absolutely a team loss. But that decision wasn’t the better of the two choices IMO. Your right that the defense should have held them after the mistaken TD. I still don’t think the two pointer got in. But the defense only should have had to prevent an 80+ yard play on the last play of the game. I will take that every time over the other choice. Least margin for error. And to the small minds who think that my difference in opinion means I think JF should go is an idiot. I guarantee from experience that JF thought about that decision for a week or more. That loss was devistatingIt would be interesting to see if confronted with the identical decision if he sticks to running it or not. Guaranteed it will be practiced more if he plans to do the same thing. Yes it is always the coaches fault because I take the blame for every mistake my players make. I’m done. Have a good day.

Last edited:

It wasn’t Monday morning quarterbacking even though you won’t believe me. Maybe you have coached college and high school kids as I have and maybe you haven’t. It doesn’t matter anyway because appeal to authority is an actual logical fallacy. I don’t know which fallacy matches Monday morning QB. I could tell you dozens of stories of where I told players exactly what to do or exactly what was coming and they didn’t do it or didn’t react to it. Slippage occurs all the time. You comparing that situation to 4th and 5 means nothing. You also don’t get to pick what players find as pressure. Ford’s predominant thought was probably protect the football. That is my guess as to why he didn’t go down. I can’t believe IU wasn’t prepared to not let him go down.
I do agree every loss is absolutely a team loss. But that decision wasn’t the better of the two choices IMO. Your right that the defense should have held them after the mistaken TD. I still don’t think the two pointer got in. But the defense only should have had to prevent an 80+ yard play on the last play of the game. I will take that every time over the other choice. Least margin for error. And to the small minds who think that my difference in opinion means I think JF should go is an idiot. I guarantee from experience that JF thought about that decision for a week or more. That loss was devistatingIt would be interesting to see if confronted with the identical decision if he sticks to running it or not. Guaranteed it will be practiced more if he plans to do the same thing. Yes it is always the coaches fault because I take the blame for every mistake my players make. I’m done. Have a good day.
If you take the blame for every mistake your players make then you might want to get out of coaching. A coach can only put players in a position to make plays, they can’t make the plays for them.

If you take the blame for every mistake your players make then you might want to get out of coaching. A coach can only put players in a position to make plays, they can’t make the plays for them.
I mean I don’t throw my players under the bus. With reporters, I cast the blame on myself and protect my players. Maybe you should never get into coaching.

Reactions: Fizz1
I mean I don’t throw my players under the bus. With reporters, I cast the blame on myself and protect my players. Maybe you should never get into coaching.
Sorry, I’ve been in coaching for over 30 years. And that’s not what you said in your post, you said, “Yes it’s always the coach’s fault and I take the blame for every mistake my players make.” That’s a far cry from not throwing your players under the bus. If your team has a bunch of turnovers, it’s perfectly acceptable to tell a reporter after the game “we had too many turnovers” or “we have to hold on to the ball better”….that’s not throwing anyone under the bus and it’s an honest answer to why you lost.

Thank god.

Sorry, I’ve been in coaching for over 30 years. And that’s not what you said in your post, you said, “Yes it’s always the coach’s fault and I take the blame for every mistake my players make.” That’s a far cry from not throwing your players under the bus. If your team has a bunch of turnovers, it’s perfectly acceptable to tell a reporter after the game “we had too many turnovers” or “we have to hold on to the ball better”….that’s not throwing anyone under the bus and it’s an honest answer to why you lost.

You have a losing record??

:) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT