ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin quote from recent interview

I was referring to the home game in 2018 when MSU came in beat up, injured and without many starters and D’Antonio still found a way to out coach CJF.
Yeah damn Franklin has to stop teaching all conference CBs to drop game winning interceptions thrown right in their hands.

Feel free. If you have played or coached the position, you know it is nearly uncatchable given how poorly the ball was thrown.

Still disagree. Hamilton is PSU’s second all-time leading receiver and he’s made more difficult catches. He looks up an instant before he catches the ball thinking he’ll catch it. He could have dove too. Not an easy catch for most but for Hamilton? That’s a gimme.

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
But 05, 08 and 09 all were much better than 16, 17 and 19.

Eh, maybe. It’s always hard to compare eras other than wins and losses, and 2016-2019 was the winningest since the early 80s for PSU.

2008 was better than 2016 at OL, DL, and LB. 2016 was better at every other position. That 2008 team didn’t face a good passing offense until the Rose Bowl and was exposed. I could see Trace, Godwin, Hamilton, Gesicki, and Barkley carving up a Tom Bradley defense. That’s a better set of skill players than even what USC had against us that year.

How about the half dozen or so games where Penn State had a 4th quarter lead, went to a 3-man rush that allowed mediocre QBs 15 seconds to pick apart the secondary, and absolutely shredded the Penn State defense for come-from-behind wins?
Ah, the great prevent defense. Nothing better to prevent your team from winning...

Reactions: Midnighter2
That was 2014. the no handshake, lousy punting game I was talking about. Again I need to know what decision Franklin made that cost them that game?
This is the 2015 game...

Going by memory here. Pretty late in the game, we were up and had a chance to either run out the clock or at least use up most of it. But we played it very conservatively and were forced to punt. Poor punt gave MD great field position. Plus they had a very good kicker. I think they only needed one 1st down to get into FG range and win it.

So if I'm recalling things correctly, I guess one could argue Franklin made a mistake in playing it so safe, knowing MD had a really good kicker and would only need a FG to win. I don't know if I would say his decision to play it safe on offense and punt it back to MD cost us the game. But I do remember questioning the decision when it happened.

Reactions: BBrown
Absolutely. As I have said before despite that mistake the defense had 4 separate chances to seal the victory and gaffed on all 4.
That's making excuses...the call was atrocious and anyone who knows anything about this game can see that.

I love JFF but there are at least 2 games in his PSU Career that I can remember where his game management blew the game. Let's let sleeping dogs lay.

I didn't know who Clay Travis was in 2013, and I didn't follow Franklin that much when he was down at Vandy.

But now that I DO know who Travis is ....... with 20-20 hindsight I can say it's a bit of a character flaw that Franklin was friends with the man when both were in Nashville, and is still friends with the man today.

Travis talks too much when he should stay quiet, he doesn't own up to his flaws (what he did with Greg Schiano in November 2017, Schiano would be in his rights to punch Travis in the face), and blames others instead of himself.

Franklin, unfortunately, has picked up on those traits of Travis'. He's blabbing about his players losing games by dropping balls, and ignoring the numerous (honestly, it's about 1 a year) games he's blown by terrible game management and/or freezing up in the 4th Quarter.

As you said: let sleeping dogs lay.

Eh, maybe. It’s always hard to compare eras other than wins and losses, and 2016-2019 was the winningest since the early 80s for PSU.

2008 was better than 2016 at OL, DL, and LB. 2016 was better at every other position. That 2008 team didn’t face a good passing offense until the Rose Bowl and was exposed. I could see Trace, Godwin, Hamilton, Gesicki, and Barkley carving up a Tom Bradley defense. That’s a better set of skill players than even what USC had against us that year.
Running back and safety were the only position that was better in 2016. 08 had a slight edge at receiver. Tight Ends were equal. The 08 team was better everywhere else. Some position like QB were considerably better.

As for Bradley's defense, they devoured run first QBs like Trace. He would have thrown three picks and benched by the half.

I didn't know who Clay Travis was in 2013, and I didn't follow Franklin that much when he was down at Vandy.

But now that I DO know who Travis is ....... with 20-20 hindsight I can say it's a bit of a character flaw that Franklin was friends with the man when both were in Nashville, and is still friends with the man today.

Travis talks too much when he should stay quiet, he doesn't own up to his flaws (what he did with Greg Schiano in November 2017, Schiano would be in his rights to punch Travis in the face), and blames others instead of himself.

Franklin, unfortunately, has picked up on those traits of Travis'. He's blabbing about his players losing games by dropping balls, and ignoring the numerous (honestly, it's about 1 a year) games he's blown by terrible game management and/or freezing up in the 4th Quarter.

As you said: let sleeping dogs lay.

It's: "Let sleeping dogs lie!"

GEESH

It is absolutely the correct option. It is the option with the least chance of failure due to the field position. I was losing my mind when they weren’t in victory formation. I am a huge Franklin fan but the at was a not a good decision. 3 knees. On fourth roll the QB out and go down before being hit or throw it through the end zone with a receiver in the area. One play to go 85 yards. Game over with no player slippage.
Wrong. There is one way to guarantee victory with minimal risk and that's what they tried to do.

Your method gives IU the ball back even if you do it properly.

At some point you trust your players. Maybe the fact that he was really 3rd string had something to do with it. But he should have gone down.
At some point you trust your players. Maybe the fact that he was really 3rd string had something to do with it. But he should
Wrong. There is one way to guarantee victory with minimal risk and that's what they tried to do.

Bull. They lost. No need for a first down with the ball position. This is especially true if that hasn’t been practiced. Wouldn’t do it ever and would never lose.

Bull. They lost. No need for a first down with the ball position. This is especially true if that hasn’t been practiced. Wouldn’t do it ever and would never lose.
Bull. Your logic is flawed. Mine is not. They just didn't execute. It happens. It was like 1 in 500. And even then the refs had to blow a call to cost PSU the game. Check yourself.

Reactions: fastlax16
IIRC correctly Haley failed to catch a kickoff that led to an ILL touchdown. He certainly had some rough patches as an underclass person but also made some legendary plays later in his career.
what is an underclass person? i think you mean underclassmen

Which is enough time for a hail mary. The method that Jimmy and I agree on (if execute properly) allows PSU to run out the clock completely. Therefore, it is the superior strategy.

80+ Yard Hail Mary without a band on the field. Yea right. I have never seen 80+ yard Hail Mary on the last play in college or pro. Ridiculous. I am out. You can have the last word on your superior strategy that lost twice in the same weekend.

Going by memory here. Pretty late in the game, we were up and had a chance to either run out the clock or at least use up most of it. But we played it very conservatively and were forced to punt. Poor punt gave MD great field position. Plus they had a very good kicker. I think they only needed one 1st down to get into FG range and win it.

So if I'm recalling things correctly, I guess one could argue Franklin made a mistake in playing it so safe, knowing MD had a really good kicker and would only need a FG to win. I don't know if I would say his decision to play it safe on offense and punt it back to MD cost us the game. But I do remember questioning the decision when it happened.
Thats pretty much the way I remember it as well.

That's making excuses...the call was atrocious and anyone who knows anything about this game can see that.
No offense but your claim that you know anything about football is beyond laughable. First, I guess you think a coach, in this case Franklin, doesn’t have the right to expect a player, in this case, Ford, to do what he was told which was not to score.
As I said before, despite FORD’s mistake, the defense went 0 for 4 in chances to still win the game in less than 2 minutes and OT. Obviously you suffer from FDS.

Reactions: BBrown
Running back and safety were the only position that was better in 2016. 08 had a slight edge at receiver. Tight Ends were equal. The 08 team was better everywhere else. Some position like QB were considerably better.

As for Bradley's defense, they devoured run first QBs like Trace. He would have thrown three picks and benched by the half.

How was 2008 better at WR? Godwin alone has more than triple the NFL production of that entire trio. Hamilton is the all time reception leader.

At TE, Gesicki is a borderline Pro Bowler in the NFL right now compared to Quarless who was a below average NFL TE.

I’m also not sure how you take Sargeant and Davis at corner. The corner combo of Haley/Reid is one of our all-time best.

Last edited:
The blocked TD was probably one of the three biggest plays in PSU history.
The fourth down stop in the BIG championship game was probably top five.
Both big plays…very big plays…but your knowledge of PSU football history seems a bit limited (time frame).

Which is enough time for a hail mary. The method that Jimmy and I agree on (if execute properly) allows PSU to run out the clock completely. Therefore, it is the superior strategy.

Yeah, c’mon Larry, you see teams win games from their own 15 with 9 seconds left and no time outs all the time!…rather than provide them over 1 minute and possession! LOL

Love Franklin. But in Indiana 2020, he was wrong…very wrong…at a bare minimum he should have coached the players to insure that no one scored.

BTW, the strategy of taking a knee in similar situations is used all the time and virtually universally successfully.

No offense but your claim that you know anything about football is beyond laughable. First, I guess you think a coach, in this case Franklin, doesn’t have the right to expect a player, in this case, Ford, to do what he was told which was not to score.
As I said before, despite FORD’s mistake, the defense went 0 for 4 in chances to still win the game in less than 2 minutes and OT. Obviously you suffer from FDS.
Throw out those insults anytime anyone points out a coaching mistake lol.

Yeah, c’mon Larry, you see teams win games from their own 15 with 9 seconds left and no time outs all the time!…rather than provide them over 1 minute and possession! LOL

Love Franklin. But in Indiana 2020, he was wrong…very wrong…at a bare minimum he should have coached the players to insure that no one scored.

BTW, the strategy of taking a knee in similar situations is used all the time and virtually universally successfully.
SHHHHHHHH.....All these people who worship coaches are going to be upset!!!

They didn't need a first down. The math shows that if they take 3 knees, there is less than 20 seconds on the clock. Even a missed field goal leaves Indiana with 2 plays maximum. Worst case was a hail Mary.
This is correct. The only poor execution was on the sideline. Give them the. All with less than 20…. And don’t bother to try a FG. They get the ball at the 13 ish and have to go from there with no TO’s. Hail Mary. Maybe

Reactions: Larryrise
This is correct. The only poor execution was on the sideline. Give them the. All with less than 20…. And don’t bother to try a FG. They get the ball at the 13 ish and have to go from there with no TO’s. Hail Mary. Maybe
And that doesn't even account for 3 plays with Clifford maybe rolling out killing an extra 4 seconds per play...if they had done that, Indiana sets up with first and 10 at their own 20 or so, and one play, a hail Mary, and that's it

The Indiana mistake to me is so important. Maybe because it is fresh still? Maybe because I believe it set off a series of events that led to last year.
I thought the Indiana loss alone was really 3 losses. Maryland and Nebraska should have NEVER beaten us.

I thought the Indiana loss alone was really 3 losses. Maryland and Nebraska should have NEVER beaten us.
100%....and that game was a combination shit show. From going down on the first drive and easily scoring, to Cliff seemingly throwing a few pics that Im not sure my dog would have thrown. Add in the clock mismanagement and the personnel mismanagement on the final drive and the under questioned lob down the sideline when a 10 yard out allows stout to make the fg and it still took a blown call to lose the game.

BINGO.

Throw out those insults anytime anyone points out a coaching mistake lol.
Except that there was no coaching mistake. If Ford does what he was told to do (not score) the game is over. Ironic how your initial post claims that the defense going 0 for 4 in chances to still win the game was “making” excuses.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
BINGO.

Except that there was no coaching mistake. If Ford does what he was told to do (not score) the game is over. Ironic how your initial post claims that the defense going 0 for 4 in chances to still win the game was “making” excuses.
How do you know Ford was told not to score? According to who?

BINGO.

If he was told, he was not told properly. If he is that unable to comprehend, he should not have been in the game (or on scholarship). All coaching. People are not claiming Franklin’s the AntiChrist…most of us like him and think he is a very good coach. But at Indiana, he was wrong.

Reactions: Larryrise
100%....and that game was a combination shit show. From going down on the first drive and easily scoring, to Cliff seemingly throwing a few pics that Im not sure my dog would have thrown. Add in the clock mismanagement and the personnel mismanagement on the final drive and the under questioned lob down the sideline when a 10 yard out allows stout to make the fg and it still took a blown call to lose the game.
Don't forget about an actual 3 fade passes in the end zone to a 5'8" receiver against Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT