ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin quote from recent interview

grinagrin

Aug 25, 2001
“I got two very specific ones here at Penn State that I think of that the ball was thrown to us and we catch it and the game's over. Then a few plays later, we give up a touchdown pass and lose, and there are two more wins that we really should have. I'm not talking about a tough interception. I'm talking about, the game's over. Those two games really stand out in my mind.”

Above is a quote of CJF talking about a couple of dropped easy interceptions that lead to a late TD pass and loss. I’m trying to think of the
two he’s talking about.

1- Amani O vs MSU in 2018?
2- Haley vs Northwestern in 2015?

Any others he may be talking about?

Last edited:
Below is a quote of CJF talking about a couple of dropped easy interceptions that lead to a late TD pass and loss. I’m trying to think of the
two he’s talking about.

Thoughts?

“I got two very specific ones here at Penn State that I think of that the ball was thrown to us and we catch it and the game's over. Then a few plays later, we give up a touchdown pass and lose, and there are two more wins that we really should have. I'm not talking about a tough interception. I'm talking about, the game's over. Those two games really stand out in my mind.”
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts it would be Christmas every day of the year. - Don Meredith

Below is a quote of CJF talking about a couple of dropped easy interceptions that lead to a late TD pass and loss. I’m trying to think of the
two he’s talking about.

Ancient history. Why are they being dredged up now?

Reactions: lb lion
So CJF isn’t supposed to coach his players or expect them to make plays?
Of course he is, but those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Could you imagine if Clifford went public questioning why CJF didn't either kneel the ball at Indiana or at least left it in the hands of Clifford?

I am saying quotes like that need to stay in the locker room, thats all.

In the OSU game last year, I think it was their 2nd TD, the CB was face guarding Olave at the pylon. Olave came down with the ball. If the CB would have turned around, it could have been an easy pick. As I remember it.
It looked like the CB was coached that way, though.

Or at least not just bring up a player example. I’d respect him even more if he added to that quote something along the lines of “and if not for a couple bad calls and substitutions by the coaches, we’d have a couple more wins”…

Last edited:
If I recall, in the 2016 OSU game we dropped a pretty easy pick late in the 4th qtr. Would've had the ball on our own 10-15 yard line with 85 yards to go for a go ahead score.

Next play after the dropped interception, Marcus Allen blocks the FG and we had one of the epic PSU plays of all time with Haley's return.

Of course he is, but those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Could you imagine if Clifford went public questioning why CJF didn't either kneel the ball at Indiana or at least left it in the hands of Clifford?

What is the context? Did CJF just blurt out this lament (I don’t see it as criticism) or was it in response to a question?

IIRC correctly Haley failed to catch a kickoff that led to an ILL touchdown. He certainly had some rough patches as an underclass person but also made some legendary plays later in his career.
The blocked TD was probably one of the three biggest plays in PSU history.
The fourth down stop in the BIG championship game was probably top five.

If I recall, in the 2016 OSU game we dropped a pretty easy pick late in the 4th qtr. Would've had the ball on our own 10-15 yard line with 85 yards to go for a go ahead score.

Next play after the dropped interception, Marcus Allen blocks the FG and we had one of the epic PSU plays of all time with Haley's return.
It wasn't that easy of an interception. It was John Reid trying to make an over the shoulder catch while looking back to try to find the ball. Probably should have caught it, but glad he didn't!

It wasn't that easy of an interception. It was John Reid trying to make an over the shoulder catch while looking back to try to find the ball. Probably should have caught it, but glad he didn't!

5* recruits are *expected* to make those plays, no?

2015 Maryland and 2020 Indiana. Games were given away with awful decisions at the end.

I still don't think 2020 Indiana was an awful decision. They needed a first down to run out the clock and got it, then the running back had a brain fart. If Franklin had taken a knee and turned the ball over on downs people here would have crucified him as well for not picking up the first and icing the thing.

I still don't think 2020 Indiana was an awful decision. They needed a first down to run out the clock and got it, then the running back had a brain fart. If Franklin had taken a knee and turned the ball over on downs people here would have crucified him as well for not picking up the first and icing the thing.
+1. My only gripe is why give it the guy who wasn't even going to probably be playing much (if not for Journey's health problem and Cain getting hurt). I don't have a problem with the play but they should have told Clifford to keep it.

Reactions: BoulderFish
+1. My only gripe is why give it the guy who wasn't even going to probably be playing much (if not for Journey's health problem and Cain getting hurt). I don't have a problem with the play but they should have told Clifford to keep it.

Hindsight is 20-20. Ford was a 4 star recruit and Clifford also fumbles more than he should. The play was called from the 12 so its not like there was concern about a momentum td. Kid failed to execute a really simple strategy, it happens.

5* recruits are *expected* to make those plays, no?
Reid was a four star, so I'm not sure I understand your point.

My point was two-fold:
1) It was not a "drop" in the sense of the other two mentioned
2) It is very unlikely PSU would have won that game if he had intercepted it.

Reactions: Madsol and BBrown

Above is a quote of CJF talking about a couple of dropped easy interceptions that lead to a late TD pass and loss. I’m trying to think of the
two he’s talking about.

It's in the past, "woulda, coulda, shoulda". I did pick up on a new phrase he seems to be favoring: "in a good place". Picked up on that in several of his answers.

two he’s talking about.

Bigger drop IMO was by Hamilton against Pitt in 2016. Might be in the playoff that year if not for this drop.

Hindsight is 20-20. Ford was a 4 star recruit and Clifford also fumbles more than he should. The play was called from the 12 so its not like there was concern about a momentum td. Kid failed to execute a really simple strategy, it happens.
I guess but is it still hindsight if I wanted Clifford to keep the ball before the play was called?
But yea...
giphy.gif

two he’s talking about.

With MSU, I think the play following the INT was a personal foul on Marcus Allen (which was iffy at best IIRC). That whole game was a sh*tshow though because of the weather delay.

They didn't need a first down. The math shows that if they take 3 knees, there is less than 20 seconds on the clock. Even a missed field goal leaves Indiana with 2 plays maximum. Worst case was a hail Mary.

I guess but is it still hindsight if I wanted Clifford to keep the ball before the play was called?
But yea...
giphy.gif
Wasn’t hindsight for me either. PSU did not need a first down to win that game with zero chance of losing. Poor execution happens a lot. It happened in a pro game the same weekend.

And you can always go back and find games that PSU was one play away from losing.
Exactly.

We harp on those games we let slip away. It's true -- they're heartbreaking. But we've won our fair share of games on the basis of the other team dropping a ball or us making a statistically improbable play.

If the App State RB doesn't score so quickly in 2018, they beat us.

If Urban Meyer gets the TO called before that rushed FG attempt in 2016, they probably beat us.

If Bell doesn't drop that ball in the end zone in 2019, who knows if we beat Michigan.

And so on.

Yes, we've blown some leads or had some excruciating losses. But not sure we've done so at a higher rate than any other comparable program.

Not a discussion on the Indiana touchdown again, please.
Well it ain't gonna stop until our fan base comes out of denial...it was an abomination and there is no spinning it. 131 out of 132 coaches keep the ball in their qbs hands and either take straight knees or run a couple extra seconds before sliding down. Tell you this much, NO WAY YANCICH would have not taken a knee if it was his offense...that was actually the biggest problem of them all last year, the coordinator had no power and was overruled by the head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT