ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin interview

roswelllion

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2003
Not sure if it was a press conference or just an interview but he said EXACTLY what I and others debated folks on here following the B1G announcement. Per CJF. "Everything I have heard and everything we have read suggests the problems occur AWAY from football. So doesn't it make sense to keep them busy and keep them playing football and keep them away from the problems outside of football. "

Not sure if it was a press conference or just an interview but he said EXACTLY what I and others debated folks on here following the B1G announcement. Per CJF. "Everything I have heard and everything we have read suggests the problems occur AWAY from football. So doesn't it make sense to keep them busy and keep them playing football and keep them away from the problems outside of football. "
I saw 6 teenage kids playing basketball in my neighborhood this afternoon shortly before 2:00pm. I asked them about school. They said that they go in person Monday & Tuesday and have online classes Wednesday & Thursday. They get Friday off. I asked why they were out playing at 2:00 and they said the online classes are over by noon. I asked what it was like in the classroom and they said it was strange. In the cafeteria they replaced tables with individual desks that they removed from the classrooms and that everybody had to eat by themselves. I couldn't help but to think about the logic of forcing them to eat by themselves, only to come home and hang out together in groups.

This is somewhat similar to what Franklin is saying. They're going to hang out in groups if left to their own. It's easier to control what they do if they're under supervision.

I saw 6 teenage kids playing basketball in my neighborhood this afternoon shortly before 2:00pm. I asked them about school. They said that they go in person Monday & Tuesday and have online classes Wednesday & Thursday. They get Friday off. I asked why they were out playing at 2:00 and they said the online classes are over by noon. I asked what it was like in the classroom and they said it was strange. In the cafeteria they replaced tables with individual desks that they removed from the classrooms and that everybody had to eat by themselves. I couldn't help but to think about the logic of forcing them to eat by themselves, only to come home and hang out together in groups.

This is somewhat similar to what Franklin is saying. They're going to hang out in groups if left to their own. It's easier to control what they do if they're under supervision.
With practice limited to 20 hours a week, how much are they actually under supervision?

just curious, what area of country you live in? Pa ?

Online classes over by noon? Basically they might as well not go to school at all.

With practice limited to 20 hours a week, how much are they actually under supervision?
Well if they were playing you should add 48 hrs for Fri and Saturday as well.
In a 5 day week 20 hours is 4 per day. that seems like quite a bit actually.

Well if they were playing you should add 48 hrs for Fri and Saturday as well.
In a 5 day week 20 hours is 4 per day. that seems like quite a bit actually.

What about the other 100 hours in the week? Do you really think they aren't going to associate with other students?

I’m a high school teacher. Apparently the virus doesn’t have the ability to be transmitted in the cafeteria. Students social distance in the halls and the classroom but once they enter the cafeteria it’s masks off and 4 to a table. Makes sense to me!!!

The virus also apparently is only transmitted on Monday and Friday. We offer hybrid learning where the kids are allowed to come and stay home as they feel necessary. They learned very quickly to stay home on those days. Some are being extra cautious and only coming in once or twice a week but never on Monday or Friday as they are the most dangerous days!

Last edited:
What about the other 100 hours in the week? Do you really think they aren't going to associate with other students?
Of course they will. Why must everything be absolute with you guys. But with online classes there is a lot less than 100 hours of "free" time. It is really simple
if A is bad time [time away from football]
and B is safe time [time involved with football]

Why wouldn't you design a system with the most B time and least A time. No one is saying [except you] A must be zero.

Reactions: bdgan
I’m a high school teacher. Apparently the virus doesn’t have the ability to. D transmitted in the cafeteria. Students social distance in the halls and the classroom but once they enter the cafeteria it’s masks off and 4 to a table. Makes sense to me!!!

The virus also apparently is only transmitted on Monday and Friday. We offer hybrid learning where the kids are allowed to come and stay home as they feel necessary. They learned very quickly to stay home on those days. Some are being extra cautious and only coming in once or twice a week but never on Monday or Friday as they are the most dangerous days!

There must be a connection between food and the virus. In PA, if you order food in bars, you won't get it ether...

Reactions: psu00
Of course they will. Why must everything be absolute with you guys. But with online classes there is a lot less than 100 hours of "free" time. It is really simple

Why wouldn't you design a system with the most B time and least A time. No one is saying [except you] A must be zero.
That's not what I'm saying. I agree that some time is better than no time. I'm saying of all of the arguments to play, i think that one is very weak.

Also, the football players are encouraged more than the average student to social distance. I know they say that to everybody but it's more up close and personal to the players. Students who test positive continue with remote learning. Football activities cease.

If students are on campus, there is no reason why students shouldn't be participating in athletics. It is simply a power play by people who think it makes them look good, or somehow shows they care or just because of their hatred for athletic programs. Travel is the only area where I see a potential issue, but is it any worse than packing them into dorms?

If students are on campus, there is no reason why students shouldn't be participating in athletics. It is simply a power play by people who think it makes them look good, or somehow shows they care or just because of their hatred for athletic programs. Travel is the only area where I see a potential issue, but is it any worse than packing them into dorms?
I saw a graphic that showed 26,000 college students have tested positive for the virus but zero have required hospitalization. I'm not sure if was accurate but it's an interesting stat if true.

......... nailed it sir

I’m a high school teacher. Apparently the virus doesn’t have the ability to be transmitted in the cafeteria. Students social distance in the halls and the classroom but once they enter the cafeteria it’s masks off and 4 to a table. Makes sense to me!!!

They have already learned how to game the system. (LOL)

Reactions: RLCookie
ADVERTISEMENT